Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,
My 08' base 1098 has developed some play in the driveline resulting in an annoying rattle sound while riding.

https://youtu.be/G0fHlFMlsvQ

As you can see in the video clip, there is some movement of the forward sprocket before it is opposed by the input shaft. As I understand there should not be any.

This happens in all gears. Anyone seen this before? I havent had time to pull the stator cover and inspect the shift mechanism. Could this be something more sinister like worn/snapped dogs on gears? Worn shift forks maybe?

All will be revealed one day, but I thought I would get some opinions. In the meantime she will remain in the Ducati's natural habitat. The shed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Could it be the clutch basket wear. Seems like as the teeth wear into the basket it would allow that movement. I would look at the clutch wear first. Move it back and forth and see if it's just the teeth moving within the basket. They do tend to allow some slop over time. Easy fix, but new basket for ~$150. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears the clutch basket and plates are ok. Very little movement between them. I suppose the clutch hub could be worn but that seems unusual to me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It appears the clutch basket and plates are ok. Very little movement between them. I suppose the clutch hub could be worn but that seems unusual to me.
I have the same backlash on mine it's normal. But without the clicking sound.

Your chain appear shot to me, are all links moving freely? How old are your sprockets and chain?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts