Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Got the bike running again and took it out for a spin and it was doing this before the issues with the sprag but had just run injector cleaner through there before the sprag gave out so was hoping the cleaner would help clear up the injectors.
If I'm riding along doesn't matter what gear, if I go WOT it will sound like it's cutting out fuel and stuttering but the second I let off it goes normal. I can gradually throttle up with no issues. It has a termi exhaust and a stock ecu and a power commander. I was hoping it was an injector issue that would clear up after running the cleaner through there but no dice. Its starting to sound as if the ecu is cutting it. So my question is
Has anyone come across this and would an aftermarket/race ecu fix this assumably?
I also know it's not like clutch slippage or anything like that either.
I know in the automotive world a weak fuel pump can cause problems at full demand but I guess it could be a million reasons at this point so just seeing if anyone came across this before.
I can try to get a video of it or audio clip if need be.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys,
Got the bike running again and took it out for a spin and it was doing this before the issues with the sprag but had just run injector cleaner through there before the sprag gave out so was hoping the cleaner would help clear up the injectors.
If I'm riding along doesn't matter what gear, if I go WOT it will sound like it's cutting out fuel and stuttering but the second I let off it goes normal. I can gradually throttle up with no issues. It has a termi exhaust and a stock ecu and a power commander. I was hoping it was an injector issue that would clear up after running the cleaner through there but no dice. Its starting to sound as if the ecu is cutting it. So my question is
Has anyone come across this and would an aftermarket/race ecu fix this assumably?
I also know it's not like clutch slippage or anything like that either.
I know in the automotive world a weak fuel pump can cause problems at full demand but I guess it could be a million reasons at this point so just seeing if anyone came across this before.
I can try to get a video of it or audio clip if need be.

Thanks!!
Change fuel filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel filter was changed, same results. According to my PC3 software my throttle position looks like it's operating normal. I have a slight feeling it's tune/ecu based but that's an expensive road to cross for 'what ifs'
It definitely cuts fuel no matter the rpms if I crank the throttle but obviously not under load like sitting in neutral I can rev it all day

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like tps sensor to me.
I'm putting $50 on the TPS sensor as well. Are you able to get error codes off the bike? That's how I pinned mine down.

Was doing the same thing through a particular throttle range (not WOT, though), and briefly spotted the engine light coming on once while it was doing it. Didn't stay on, but I was able (via TuneECU) to verify the TPS error in stored error codes.

Cheap ($15 AUD) eBay replacement, and up and running fine again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fuel filter was changed, same results. According to my PC3 software my throttle position looks like it's operating normal. I have a slight feeling it's tune/ecu based but that's an expensive road to cross for 'what ifs'
It definitely cuts fuel no matter the rpms if I crank the throttle but obviously not under load like sitting in neutral I can rev it all day
Sorry, didn't read this properly. I don't know PC3, but it sounds like it can display the TPS reading for you, so easy to diagnose.

And if it doesn't cut out when it's not under load in the same throttle range, then it's unlikely to be the TPS - it will cut out whether it's under load or not, if you're definitely twisting the throttle within the same throttle range.

Looks like I might lose my $50...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
Yeah I had the PC software open and connected and the throttle percentage didn't fluctuate at all from what the throttle was actually at although I really wish I could get logs while it happens to see whats going on but not sure if you can get logs on pc3. I changed the maps from stock everything to termi/race ecu,to zero map and it didn't change at all, still cuts out.
Was unable to pass on the highway and got in a bit of a spot of bother so not sure where else to go with this.

I might try to get a video of it going on to help maybe diagnose it better but I can't seem to figure out what the heck else it would be.

Back in the days of carburetion if it did that you swap out the carb and it's all fixed but now there's so much involved it could be anything

There's no codes and nothing indicative of the check engine light on at any point during a ride.

Even when I am riding and go hard on it, not even WOT, maybe even like 65% throttle, it'll cut out and attempt to cut back in a second later but still does nothing and sort of jerks the bike. The RPMs even drop down if I keep it held there.
Would be nice to see if the computer is cutting fuel or if it's not delivering enough fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Disconnect the pc totally from the bike. If there’s a fault with unit, and I’ve seen many, even a zero map won’t make a difference. Best to do this and then see if there’s a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a bit of an update. I checked the voltage at the TPS and I have definite 5v vref and ground so that's good but when I check the input from the throttle it varied quite a bit went from 0.9 gradually and maxed out at 2.7 v then let off and it went to 0.3 v gradually up and maxed out at 2.3 v consistently. Never went higher. My knowledge is that that's either bad or needs to be reset. Typically I'd expect to see around 4 v WOT on a good TPS but that could be different for bikes?
At any one point increasing the throttle it didn't drop though it stayed consistently.

Just shut it off and tried again and the range from 0-100% was 0.1 v to 1.9 v lol something doesn't seem right

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone, hate to revive an old post but I just want to say thanks for everyone's insight. It ended up being a bad TPS. Put a new one in last season before it ended and finally got all the cables and JPDiag, reset the TPS cause the local Ducati shop wanted to quote me 1.5-2 hrs so I reset it myself and it's running perfect. For anyone who runs into this issue.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Appreciate the update! It's good when people post the resolution to their issues - definitely helps others when looking to try things to solve similar issues....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts