Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent two years using different EBC Pads on my 1098s. My findings are simple. If you want to stop or slow from very high speeds quickly, upright or at lean, without any conscious question of will the front tire slide. Use the EBC GPFAX Race Only pad period!

The problem is they are not street legal. The other problem is the two lower pads will slide the front tire in a straight line with cold tires and even on hot days if applied quickly to full power from high speed. Sorry - But 60 foot black marks are not comforting. Which leads me to - What about rain and wet?

The GPFAX Race pad states danger on street pavement. Yet is the best pad I have ever used. I run Pirelli Rosso 3's and not one slip or slide at all tire temps. Even in 40 degree weather on wet pavement they are predictable with tire pressure changes. They last beyond 2 fronts and 3 rear tires. Never fade or need more than a little warming up.

Try them let me know if you see what I see. If you know why they are not street legal tell me.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Just because they are recommended for race use only does not mean they are illegal to run in the street. As far as I know brake pads are not DOT rated at all.

Most pads designed for the track need more heat than a normal pad to work well. That’s why they are not recommended for the street.

Besides. Could you really see getting stoped by a cop and asked to see your brake pads. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run the organic pads on all my bikes. First because I am not on a race track. Second I don't need to chew up my rotor faster. EBC are great pads I think it depends on your riding style and where you ride.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have track experience with any of the ebc pads? Have you ever locked up a front tire? Have you moved from one pad to another and seen a change in performance?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused...
You say the pads will slide the front leaving 60 ft black lines and then say in the next line that they are predictable at all temps with no slip or slide
Please clarify

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I'm confused...
You say the pads will slide the front leaving 60 ft black lines and then say in the next line that they are predictable at all temps with no slip or slide
Please clarify
Was trying to say both street pads will lock up front wheel in predictably. The pad for race only works even on street at all temperatures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Modern sports bike on hot sticky tyres WON’T lock up the front end PERIOD.
There are MANY brake pads out there that are just as good as your EBC pads.
Agree completely. I am not talking about perfect conditions. EBC was only what I had to work with and 2 of their products will get you in trouble. Only the race only pad works all the time everywhere. The real question is if the GPFAX works so well why are they not DOT approved?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found this. They are clearly marked HH even though labeled Race Only. HH is the highest DOT rating. I was worried about liability. The HH and the performance is enough for me...

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
all the aftermarket sintered pads that i have seen are HH rated. i think the oem brembo sintered pads have GG on them from memory.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Guess only. The only thing I can think of is how aggressive they may be. And saying that, I can’t see how a racer would want such an aggressive pad when the current crop of race (and road) pads are so good. Or else it’s just marketing.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The criteria for a modern pad is consistent and predictable friction in most conditions (hot old wet dry etc) and hi temp fade, either green or fluid. This is what all HH pads look for and most if not all meet this criteria.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guess only. The only thing I can think of is how aggressive they may be. And saying that, I can’t see how a racer would want such an aggressive pad when the current crop of race (and road) pads are so good. Or else it’s just marketing.
Oddly it is the two lower street pads that require the most aggression to function. The track pad is far more linear and can respond over and over without heat degradation. The two lower pads are in the class you mention. All is good until "Panic Stop" or intentional quick short and sharp use like making a lunge. The panic stop for a lessor skilled rider is a mix for disaster if this is true for all riders and not just some aberration due to my setup. With the race pads I can put more spring into the front end and the turn in is improved also. That said - If EBC has just repackaged a street pad for the track and this is all in my mind call me crazy but I will still buy them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
all the aftermarket sintered pads that i have seen are HH rated. i think the oem brembo sintered pads have GG on them from memory.
I agree and they are smooth as butter until they get real hot. I think they are organic. I need to try the Brembo race pad again. My brake style has changed with the GPFAX. I can leave my middle finger on the lever and make unexpected adjustments.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
If you want to know what real track only pads are like try a set of Ferodo CPro. They are about $90 per caliper and worth every penny if you’re racing. And trust me they will not have you leaving 60 foot ******* from the front tire on the street. If you don’t have them screaming hot you won’t stop at all. :)

Reactions: 96c

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want to know what real track only pads are like try a set of Ferodo CPro. They are about $90 per caliper and worth every penny if you’re racing. And trust me they will not have you leaving 60 foot ******* from the front tire on the street. If you don’t have them screaming hot you won’t stop at all. :)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Been there too!!!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I agree and they are smooth as butter until they get real hot. I think they are organic. I need to try the Brembo race pad again. My brake style has changed with the GPFAX. I can leave my middle finger on the lever and make unexpected adjustments.
Interesting. Could never understand the whole two finger braking thing. Only ever use my last three fingers at the end of the lever. Found that I get more leverage and can finesse the throttle easier with thumb an palm. I have heart failure on every customers bike that I test ride with short levers, fingers start flapping about looking for the invisible last few inches of lever.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting. Could never understand the whole two finger braking thing. Only ever use my last three fingers at the end of the lever. Found that I get more leverage and can finesse the throttle easier with thumb an palm. I have heart failure on every customers bike that I test ride with short levers, fingers start flapping about looking for the invisible last few inches of lever.
That's funny - I am exactly the opposite. Short levers, first two fingers. Have been training both middle fingers as a base line. Results are good gives me some brake right now and can slip clutch if tire spins up in rain or to settle wheelie at full throttle or over the crest of hill. I agree any change leads to heart failure. Hell - Put me on a Motard bike and I have to wrap my left arm around the headlight. It is too upright and scares me to death.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts