Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I fixed all my issues:

Back in the Fall I put a Shorai Lithium battery and changed the location of the voltage regulator all while working out of a duffel bag in the public parking structure where my new bike crapped out on me.

I didn’t really have anywhere to work on it, so it has stayed makeshift until now.

At my new house I sort of have a garage and finally got around to my big winter maintenance:

Here’s what I’ve done in the last few days

-NGK CR10EIX Iridium spark plugs. I can verify they fit and work perfectly , but you need a different plug tool for installation.

-Moto Electric Hicap copper starting cables, and cleaning all contacts in the starter system (link below)

-KN153 K&N oil filter

-stronger magnetic plug.

-cleaned the sump filter

-Rotella T6 oil

-Mosfet voltage regulator (in the parking garage I used a replacement oem unit) along with the

-BikeSportsDevelopment relocation bracket (drilled 1x extra hole to fit Mosfet unit) . Link below.

——It’s basically like having a totally different bike now. Before it would take me 10+ minutes to start when the bike was cold. Now it’s starting cold like a brand new Japanese bike and holds idle right away (before I had to manually hold idle rpm until warm). Voltage is reading higher than ever and the bike feels amazing. I would probably credit the Copper cables and spark plugs the most, but maybe the mosfet and oil also played some small part, I don’t know.

Also, I know someone will bash the Rotella T6 but I used it in my R1 for years with no issue at all and personally believe it’s fantastic oil.

I know the 1098 is notorious for starter issues so I’m curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not seen both done together. Good work….
Thanks man. I’m glad this bike is finally behaving the way it was meant to.

Being honest, I’ve missed my R1. Maybe the bike will now be able to compare to that. The R1 had gobs of power and never had any mechanical or electrical issues. The Ducati is fun though and if I can get that reliability I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Isaac you have one of the best motorcycles I have ever had. Buuuuut - Reliable like an R1 it shall never be. Belts, valve adjustments, rear tires, fuel line O-rings, starter solenoid. I absolutely love every minute on mine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isaac you have one of the best motorcycles I have ever had. Buuuuut - Reliable like an R1 it shall never be. Belts, valve adjustments, rear tires, fuel line O-rings, starter solenoid. I absolutely love every minute on mine.
I love mine too. I guess I miss the R1 a lot because I didn’t want to sell it. For complicated reasons I left America and am now permanently living in Japan, just bought a house here and am currently renovating it trying to get myself set up. I sold the R1 to my younger brother.

The Ducati is nice though. This will be my first summer with it and I’m really looking forward to it now that it’s running well. I’ll be out in the mountains exploring ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts