Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1098 finally catches up to the 999

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  mduc 
#1 ·
Both resale prices are in the toilet. I'm seeing 1098 tricolor's low s 15K, thats pretty bad for a bike that was damn near 30K out the door 2 years ago. Saw a 1198s for 19K thats almost....I said almost 10K drop in less than a year ? I'm looking at Canadian pricing if your thinking I'm a litttle off on the prices, we don't seem to enjoy the "bulk" pricing you yanks get.......and deserve as your market in California alone out does our total population in Canada.I talked with my budy who owns the Yamaha dealer in town here, he has not sold 1 09 R1 as to date, pretty sad, as it was supposed to be the new king of the track, and I can't say I have even seen one of the new R1's on the road yet in my travels.

#3 ·
supply and demand.what still truly sucks is the canadian msrp pricing and the used u.s.a.market pricing overflowing to canada.doubt i would ever buy a new ducati again,but would buy used in a heartbeat

#28 ·
The prices of most things have gone down, that's true, yeah, but the prices of exotic assets have been hurt worse; it's simple economics...the more luxurious a good and less neccessary, the more it is affected by income effects -- the income elasticity of a Ducati is much greater than a Honda, as the Ducati is more of a luxury good.... for every percentage point change in income, the demand for Ducatis will decrease more so than Hondas.

#9 ·
I've owed a 2005 R1 and loved it. A chap up the road owns the 2009 version and it sounds unbelivable. He claims it is a lot nicer to ride than the old one too. Here in SA the price of bikes has gone through the roof. 2007 CBR1000RR was about R110 000.00 (13500 USD). Now they are R144 000.00 That's 19200 USD) and our currency is now stronger against the dollar... Go Figure.. We're gettign ripped big time.

#11 ·
I saw one (09 R1) when he blew passed me on Westside rd, followed very quickly by a very rapid rider on a Mille Factory (your buddy perhaps?). This while I was doing my damnest to stay in touch with another rapid local on a 1098s. A very enternaining morning in mid september in your hood!:D

#13 ·
Bikes, like cars, are for consumption, not investment. Ride it like crazy until there is nothing left and don't worry about the money - it has just been converted to pleasure....
Well stated! Couldn't agree with you more. :D
My '09 Bayliss LE hit 4200 miles this weekend.
Hey, I was in Calgary all last week and headed back up there again next Sunday AM.
Do the Duc guys hang out anywhere? I'm staying right at McKnight Blvd. & Barlow Trl. just south of the airport.

#14 ·
A friend of mine just bought a NEW 2009 CBR1000RR for $8450 out the door, after tax, license and shit. I mean thats just down-right ridiculous! How much will it be worth a year later with 4000 miles? $5k?

If you buy new, you're gonna get raped. I bought an 848 for a smokin' deal ($14k OTD) one month after they came out, my bike is from the first batch! Its worth what, $8k? two years later. What is it going to be worth a year from now? $6k? So after 3 years of running, its worth 1/2 of original price? WOW! :eek:

#18 ·
All bikes values are in the toilet now, but it does seem that Ducs have been hit harder, maybe just because they were more expensive to begin with. I am buying a 2007 1098s that has at least 10K worth of extras including BST carbon fiber wheels, titanium full system exhaust, 30mm offset triples, Ohlins FGRT 803 forks, PCIII with custom map, Sato rearsets and other goodies, all installed and setup by Dan Kyle, for $16,600. The bike has under 700 miles on it. I considered a new 1198s, but that would be around 24K OTD, and there would still be many mods I would want to do anyway. I think Ducati released the 1198 too soon, it really pushed 1098 values lower. Even the Japanese 600's and 1000's are getting off the "new model every two years" cycle as a response to the slowing global economy.

#23 ·
All bikes values are in the toilet now, but it does seem that Ducs have been hit harder, maybe just because they were more expensive to begin with. I am buying a 2007 1098s that has at least 10K worth of extras including BST carbon fiber wheels, titanium full system exhaust, 30mm offset triples, Ohlins FGRT 803 forks, PCIII with custom map, Sato rearsets and other goodies, all installed and setup by Dan Kyle, for $16,600. .
Holy crap, deal of the year.

#19 ·
Well we all know Honda has been in some trouble lately and it's no surprise they are letting bikes go out the door at some verry reasonable prices......but it's still a honda. Ducati's are supposed to hold their own in prices.....kind like Harleys do....or did ?

And for R1's I have yet to see one on the road this year except for my buddy that owns Yamaha up here in Kelowna. And west side rd....yup that was us......sorry ,hope we didn't scare ya , was probably in a hurry to get coffee at the other end of the lake.

#30 ·
If you say "us", am I to assume that you're the pilot of the 1098? That was a fun go that morning. I was a little too busy staying in your wake to be scared when your buddies came past me. They you used their power advantage to good effect and came past clean and polite like on the straights. They did surprise me though as I had no idea they were there. Like I said, I was rather focused on keeping up with you which was no small task!
I do most of my riding in your neck of the woods as your roads are way better than what we have here on the coast (for the most part). Perhaps we can play again sometime.

#20 ·
It's all about what you can buy a new one for. I think a lot of people who buy Ducatis have disposable income to pay a few grand more and get a brand new bike. If a used bike is not cheap enough to be a GREAT deal compared to a new one, it won't sell very fast. People don't realize that new cars (and probably bikes) depreciate about 30% as soon as they're pulled off the lot. The only time this doesn't apply is when the new ones aren't readily available. Like when you used to have to wait forever to get a new Harley. If you can't go out and pick one up today, suddenly a used bike is worth more because there is a benefit to buy it compared to a new one.

#24 ·
It's like the ads in Cycle Trader, Harley clone, Special construction, 20,000 Cubic inch engine, 45 Hp, all custom, too much to list, $45,000 INVESTED, must sell, $12,000 or best offer. Who is you INVESTMENT advisor, Bernard Madoff?

Bikes don't hold much value. Out of the 37 bikes I've owned in the past 39 years or so, I think I bought about 4 new ones. I'll let the original owner take the 30-40% hit when they roll it out the door.

#25 ·
I just got an Email from Cliff's Cycle Revolution.....they are offering 1098's at $12,999 and 1098S' at $15,999 ! On Ebay there are several dealers offering the 08' CBR 1000's at $6,899.00...what a great bike for the price! I mean less than $8,000 OTD and w/ some suspension and exhaust upgrades you have a legitimate 170hp, superb handling missle for less than $11 grand!

#26 ·
The economy now is in the dumps. Look up real estate prices in Florida for one example; its a shame. Unemployment is still very high, and to be honest any reductions are probably due to taking people who have been off work for 6 months or longer from the statistics. It sucks bad. As for investments, my real "investments" are still down steep. I should have bought more new Ducati's; I would still be money ahead.......... But, you can't ride a dollar bill....and I still like new bikes and cars. Yeah I take a hit, but when I buy used I still take a hit and I get a "used" bike. Used bikes don't appreciate or stay the same in value, either.

#29 ·
The economy now is in the dumps. Look up real estate prices in Florida for one example; its a shame.
Yeah it's a shame people were so retarded and bought into the real estate hype (i.e. bubble)...I mean, who would really value a 2000 sq. ft. house in SoFla at millions and millions of dollars, given a non-bubbling market? Thankfully people here in the midwest were a bit more reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.