Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

1098 Expanded Fuel Tank Solution????

1153 Views 31 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  final_edition
So what is the solution for our fuel tank issue? I have looked back for over a year of posts and there doesn't seem to be much talk about it.

I am on my second tank and it has expanded so much that I can't hardly bolt it back on the bike plus I am leaking fuel from underneath where the fuel pump plate thing goes.
I see a couple solutions online, carbon fiber and aluminum options. But what is everyones experience with these?

I would like a permanent solution. I haven't ridden or even started my bike in probably two years or more because the leaking fuel scares me.

I am also afraid to buy a used tank because it could have the same issue.

What do you guys say?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
8,053 Posts
I hate to say this, but I think the only permanent option is to purchase a metal tank. Not sure if there were any livery specific 1098 metal tanks, but both the 1198 Corse and the 1198SP were aluminum.
Helmet Sports gear Peripheral Automotive design Personal protective equipment

· Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,503 Posts
Its quite a problem for Aprilia's to, any tank that is plastic really because of ethanol. If you have access to ethanol free that is the best option. The tank on the Aprilia I bought was swelled over an inch where it bolts in. Took it off and drained it and left it out in the sun for a few days. It shrunk almost back to normal, enough so I could bolt it down again.

· Registered
410 Posts
Hi,
IMO, polymers are fantastic: in their place. For road bikes, plastic fuel tanks are not such a great idea. Eventually, they fail.
If you're thinking your 1098 is a keeper, then an aluminum tank is probably your best option.
For my 1098, I went with Beater. No problems whatsoever. Has some nice benefits over stock as well.
At this point in time, that bike series is getting "old", and used aluminum tanks come up for sale from time to time. Still not cheap, but not expensive either.

· Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,503 Posts
Hi,
IMO, polymers are fantastic: in their place. For road bikes, plastic fuel tanks are not such a great idea. Eventually, they fail.
Absolutely, polymers are fantastic right up until the point they are not. Ask anyone who owns a modern BMW past 120K miles. The E53 X5 I have uses a different system design so hasnt been as bad. Same for the E90 3 series I had. The E39 5 series however, I always kept a spare expansion tank and hoses handy. Because it would fail. And while using hoses with plastic ends and o-rings sounds great, an o-ring that has been in place for 15K miles isnt going to reseal once you pull the hose off.

Sorry for the off topic sort of, but yeah ethanol free fuel or aluminum tank are your only options for eliminating the issue.

Or you could try drying it out and letting it bake for a while, and if it shrinks up enough you could seal it with Caswells tank sealer.

· Premium Member
8,053 Posts
One would think the design engineers would have thought about temperature changes affecting a plastic fuel tank :rolleyes:
Sometimes we have to make concessions... it's not an ideal situation unfortunately. When we do get to design something from the ground up, and do it the right way, the result is frequently something amazing, and prohibitively expensive.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
1,861 Posts
If I remember correctly back when I had my 848 EVO, I thought a popular solution to have the tank coated on the inside.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

· Registered
7,931 Posts
I coated the tank and also always use non-ethanol fuel . I haven’t noticed any problems. I bought a spare tank but so far I haven’t had to use it. This is on an S4RS

· Premium Member
8,053 Posts
If I remember correctly back when I had my 848 EVO, I thought a popular solution to have the tank coated on the inside.
I coated the tank and also always use non-ethanol fuel . I haven’t noticed any problems. I bought a spare tank but so far I haven’t had to use it. This is on an S4RS
I always heard really good things about Caswell tank sealer. I'll temper that statement by saying that it is an "involved" process... do everything correctly, you've got yourself a sealed tank, regardless of the material it's made from. Do it incorrectly and you've got yourself a fuel tank sized paper weight, door stop, etc.

Personally, I'd go with a metal tank.

· Registered
7,931 Posts
I thought I did a really good job of coating the tank , but when I put a camera in I saw that it was uneven and did it again. I’m going to guess that if you leave a spot where fuel might be able to penetrate, the sealer may not last. If you do try to seal your used tank, follow the instructions about prep and if you have access to an inspection camera, take a look when you’re done. I think the key is not using ethanol fuel. Everything else you do is putting lipstick on a pig.

· Registered
5,075 Posts
have two tanks, swap them over every 6 months or so if you use it regularly.

the issue is the nylon absorbs water out of the fuel that the ethanol gets hold of. no ethanol in the fuel means no water in the fuel to absorb. i doubt they have this issue in europe, so it would have been a new one on them, and we really don't see much of it in au as generally we don't have a lot of ethanol fuels.

· Registered
2009 M1100S, 2006 Multistrada 1000s, 1981Guzzi Monza, IWL Pity, PX Vespa, Vespa 250GTS
720 Posts
I can say that in mainland Europe we ONLY have fuel with Ethanol. Either 5% or 10% (and i think the 5% is being dropped this year). Ducati or Aprillia, i drain my tanks every winter and put them in a warm dry location to "shrink" for the 4 months of off season. This works but is obviously a PITA.

· Registered
2,629 Posts
Here in the good old government subsidised farming world (US) were getting E15 shoved down our throats by 2030 (actually this summer 2023 Biden is allowing up to E15) to help the starving farmers like Cargill, Simplot, Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto by growing more corn for fuel & finish off the population with more HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) added to our food getting us even MORE obese.

The side benefit of obesity is phamacuticsl company's (government subsidised also) can develop more drugs for heart & digestive problems the HFCS causes WIN WIN all around........oh and also killing off all the remaining gasoline powered vehicles while getting us convinced electric vehicles are better than gasoline.

· Registered
1,259 Posts
I always figured it was the difference between ethanol bases. US is corn based, Oz is sugar cane base. We didn’t get much swelling of any here but it did eat fibreglass tanks.

our sugar, in the early days, used to clog the fine block filter strainers in the bowsers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts