Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the above built by Ducati John in Leeds ( great guy and highly recommended) over the winter and finally managed to get time to put it into the frame and on to the the dyno. After a headache of why the TPS, wasn't working ( broken wire 2 inches from the plug), we ran her in. Unfortunately it was now 9pm so no time to tune it but managed a run and it hit 165 bhp on the rear wheel ( metzeller 180/60) with around 95 torque. Obviously all dynos are different etc etc but is this a good figure?

Hopefully today they will be able to clean up the graph and smooth off the peaks and valleys.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
So I got the above built by Ducati John in Leeds ( great guy and highly recommended) over the winter and finally managed to get time to put it into the frame and on to the the dyno. After a headache of why the TPS, wasn't working ( broken wire 2 inches from the plug), we ran her in. Unfortunately it was now 9pm so no time to tune it but managed a run and it hit 165 bhp on the rear wheel ( metzeller 180/60) with around 95 torque. Obviously all dynos are different etc etc but is this a good figure?

Hopefully today they will be able to clean up the graph and smooth off the peaks and valleys.
Best gauge is to compare another 1098 or 1198 on the same dyno. If they’ve even around for a while then they should have a library to compare.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
Best gauge is to compare another 1098 or 1198 on the same dyno. If they’ve even around for a while then they should have a library to compare.
This.
Sounds abit on the low side, but the same bike can vary 10hp (RWHP, DIN, SAE + correction factor) between diffrent settings and a complete heat sink.
make sure they rund the bike fully warm and do atleast 5-6 pulls to get an average.

This is my 916 back in the day. 112 -> 116 on the same bike, same dyno, all within the same 30 minutes. The only thing that changed is how fully warm the engine is.

Thats a 3.5% diffrence on a bike that didnt do its first run without being warm. Apply to your bike and we get 164 -> 170 hp in a 3.5% spread.
And thats without doing factors or standards. SAE vs RWHP vs DIN standards is another 5 hp diffrence depending on how you ask the dyno.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
From the DJ headquarters on an information day I attented most 250i are the same, but a few arent. Way to tell is if torque is un-proportionally high.
The dyno I use is defined as on spec and a high comp 1198 does around 100 lbft or 136nm.
A well heat soaked 1299 oem does 182 SAE, I rarely see that low numbers Weed.
A few DJ dynoes werent calibrated correctly in the past, if you upgrade these days you must tell your part numbers...

Wannabe exactly what specs are you running, Ive tried a few bikes that are just painfully low, you must hit the important settings!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick Update,

The Dyno is dynojet and not a Pro ( whatever that means), We had big issues with the tps bouncing all over the place so was hard to run properly so we abandoned until the new TPS arrived.

Engine spec:
Pistal pistons
1198 cams
lightened and balanced
996 loom with TomTom chip and PCIII

No historic 1098 runs on that dyno so no reference.

I rode the bike yesterday at Rockingham and she was strong, very strong, so real life power was very good, very torquey, a delight and caught me out when I wheelied down the pits by accident... :)

I did notice the TPS all over the place between 50-80% which isn't good so hopefully a genuine one will sort it out.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
New TPS isnt available from Ducati as a sparepart but luckily fiat use the same tps for punto and other cars that there are a billion of in south america.
Look at the number on the TPS and then google that along with marelli Fiat and you can buy a new one for 15-30 sterlings.
Pop the old one out and insert the new one, done it many times in the shop.
Appreciated adhoc knowledge when alternative is a new TB :)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tom,
Already ordered one, I have had pattern TPS before and I am not convinced by them so I splashed out on a genuine one to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts