Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...since my engine is now off the bike i thought many people could help out with their knowledge...

lets make a list of possible engine upgrades. From the least expensive to the most extreme...

-christos

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the first thing i would think of is head porting.
img from a 999

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
Forget the porting, the valve area is maxed and the ports are as efficient as they can be on the testastretta.
You can do some port matching and surface prep but it wont net you much.

Get a big bore kit. 1098R cams, titanium rods, ti valves, forged pistons, Lighten the crank and the flywheel but not to race spec, leave it heavy enough to idle well and pull away in traffic.

Dont go too radical or you loose functionality and reliability. Big bore kit will net you the most gains.

Also look at optimizing the gear cluster, There's a machining process (the term escapes me now) to clean up and make second gear more reliable. Second gear gets the most abuse.

You might also look at a set of MBP collets while you're in there, longer valve check intervals and more reliability.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with a big bore kit i understand that the CC will end up to be more?

sorry not a mechanic so more info on each suggestion is highly appreciated! :)

·
1,768 Posts
By attempting to do a full engine rebuilt you are getting involved into something that can be extremely disappointing, stressful and expensive. I would rather try to find 1198R motor on ebay.
I don't believe those single sided brain "service" men from local motorcycle shops are skilled enough to perform any quality engine work. Most of them (if not all) are struggling even with the simplest type of maintenance tasks without messing something up. I don't remember a single time when I've got a bike back without a need to redo or fix it later.
An irresponsibility is the norm. None of them should be trusted. For them we are a bunch of spoiled fools with their expensive toys. To get your "business" you are promised far beyond what they are capable.

·
Bon Vivant
11,720 Posts
I think what flynbulldog means is undercut transmission gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Yes, that's it, thanks

Spitz is absolutely correct. There are only handful of shops worldwide that can do a quality job with the mods we are proposing. Don let just any old Ducati shop do this kind of work.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Yes, that's it, thanks

Spitz is absolutely correct. There are only handful of shops worldwide that can do a quality job with the mods we are proposing. Don let just any old Ducati shop do this kind of work.
Sputz is right on both accounts. Get a lightly used 1198 motor for that bad boy.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
If you are going to go this deep you really need a guy with lots of proven experience, that has done it before, racing, pulling apart and reassembling lots of high performance engines. No guessing. Its all science. He can do what you want in his sleep and he will stand by all his work.

I've had similar negative experinces to that of Sputz. I recently paid a "pro" at a very well known shop $750 to misdiagnose a problem, and then incorrectly reinstall my bazzaz package. It took a REAL expert (Carry Andrews at Hypercycle) to understand my bikes problems and be able to fix them.

I think this is a very timely thread because if Ducati doesn't reinstate some sort of high end SF then alot of guys will be looking to engine mods for their SF.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
wth, im posting today and by the time I have pressed submit three other guys have said the same thing, and i didnt see them before. my phone needs an engine upgrade too...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Since we have navigated back to the 1198 discussions, would it need a new ecu from the 1198 model?

I would vote for a used 1198 engine versus a 1098 rebuild for more power. Unless you could put in all those composers yourself. It seems whenever I've researched how to get more power out a smaller displacement engine It's always easier and cheeper to get a larger displacement bike, or engine in this case. But it's always interesting to have the shop talk though.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Yeah, the ecu would have to be dealt with. It would certaily be easy to try a 1198 ecu. Or, get your 1098 ecu re-mapped for an 1198 motor. I would hesitate to use the 1098 ecu due to the probable differences in ignition and fuel mapping (vs the 1098). Another solution would be an after market ecu tuned for the 1198. Seems like it would be pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
...I would vote for a used 1198 engine versus a 1098 rebuild for more power. Unless you could put in all those composers yourself. It seems whenever I've researched how to get more power out a smaller displacement engine It's always easier and cheeper to get a larger displacement bike, or engine in this case. But it's always interesting to have the shop talk though.
Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
Yap, but we're gonna mod the 1198 engine too. :D +1 on a sufficiently heavy fly wheel. There's no need to make around town driving any worse.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok anyone willing to lay a hand over here i could pm my paypal account guys!!
;-P

i dont know what kind of mechanics you have over there, but boy its not that hard to assemble an engine!!!! ok maybe its not a "do it your self" task in 3 minutes but ok, its an authorized ducati dealer and engines are getting open and closed again and again...if it was a first time job like their first panigale engine rebuild i would be a bit worried but its a 1098 engine...

it seams that the damage is limited to the connecting rod bearings of the front cylinder. maybe not even the rod itself has suffered any damage, because i noticed the sound too early...They will have to measure everything to be sure though. The Dealer will try to get it fixed under a good faith warranty. (all labour costs on me).

If that goes bad i am considering upgrading some parts of the engine just for the fun of it i guess...not good to remember that you have to FIX your engine...always good to remember that you UPGRADED your engine :p

a new/used engine will cost more for now and i no one can be sure if it will brake down in 1.000km or something...

so lets get back to upgrading, not buying a used 1098R or 1198 engine!! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts