Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
For a given set of conditions in a given motor
These are the key words here. Oh and what's wrong with changing it every 3000 miles? I happen to agree with ole pops on that one. How often should we be changing it then?:confused:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The answer is it depends. My only point being is a blanket 3,000 miles for the sole reason your dad taught you that is not the answer and nothing but a waste of money...depending on what you're doing with your bike. Oil technology is far too superior for that mentality these days. My Mulit that got nothing but highway, 6-9,000 or once a year. My track bikes...3,000 or once a year...but that's on Amsoil. The absolutely only testimate to what your oil is capable of is oil analysis. Outside of that, you're making a guess, and barely an educated one. Does every 3k hurt the motor? No, of course not. Hurts your pocket book if that's a factor and the environment.

There is no scenario you can convince me of that a 50 weight oil is better in a Testastretta than a 40. But, your dad probably taught you that heavier is better also anyways, so the point for you would be moot. You probably think these race teams run 60 weight too. Funny how every engine manufacturer in the world is building motors for thinner and thinner oils for all operating conditions...Honda (motorcycles) has already gone to a 30 weight, just about every car is at a 20, and Honda (cars) are looking into 10 weight oils. Yes, xW10...the second number.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Listen to Galaxy, he's absolutely right. You want oil that's thick enough to give adequate oil pressure and no thicker. Your dads were wrong back then and they still are now. Too thick an oil will not dissipate heat properly and under high pressure can actually give worse protection.

As far as your local temperature, that's pretty much immaterial to the oil in a running engine once it's warmed up. It doesn't matter whether it's 98 or 55 degrees outside, two identical water cooled engines being run the same way will have almost identical oil temperatures. Air cooled engines will have a slight variance, but unless they're being heavily abused, it's still not much.

Formula one engines, which rev to 18,000 rpm and will be used for more than one race use 5 weight oil.

Rotella T6 5W-40 for me. Plenty of others work just fine too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My $.02,i never over heated a bike until i ran a 50wt synthetic in my cbr1000.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts