Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of you guys with 1098's that are riding them agrresively have any problems with rear tire chatter on downshifts being that the bike has no slipper clutch? ive had a 998 before and that thing was pretty bad about it. just trying to see if the 1098 has the same charceteristics?

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Unless the 1098 has a slipper or you learn how to rev match, you're going to have that problem.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Learn to rev match, it is an essential riding technique. Slippers are for racing or a crutch for those with a poor skill set.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just looking for an answer to my question..... not some idiot to tell me i have poor "skill set"...... im pretty sure that i know how to blip the throttle on down shifts. any big twin will do this depending on how high in the rpm range you are. was just curious of how bad the 1098 was about it. and slippers are for more than just racing, why do the big four put them on all their bikes? nevermind.................... dont entertain me with your answer

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Well, if a 998 had the problem, don't you think an 1198 or 1098 with more torque will have the same characteristic?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
. . . why do the big four put them on all their bikes? nevermind . . .
Sales. It strokes the ego of their purchasers.

In your case however, a slipper would be a nice mod.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
explain this "appearing" to be condescending comment. AWW... NEVERMIND! :)
It is kind of like saying that modern formula one drivers are no good because they don't have to push in a clutch pedal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Why are you so touchy....if you don't like a response there is no need to go
ballistic...this kind of attitude won't get you any helpful responses or information :think:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Huh? :confused:

Most riders do not need a slipper on the street and will never be able to tell they have one. It's a waste of money in the vast majority of cases. However many like to brag that they have one.

However you may find that a slipper solves your wheel hop.

Try or try not. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Sales. It strokes the ego of their purchasers.

In your case however, a slipper would be a nice mod.
Most people buying the big four bikes do not even know that they have one or what one is half the time.

It is a nice mod to have, especially if you go on vigorous runs through mountains or anywhere where you will be pushing it a little bit and wheel hop could cause major problems. I agree, rev-matching is good to do and nice to perfect, but having the slipper to back you up is even nicer at times.

·
Registered
230 Posts
all bikes come with a slipper clutch. it is attached right below your wrist. i call it a "hand". mine works perfectly.. :)

slippers much like electronics level the playing field for those with less skill. or alt least that is an ongoing debate, you can see it in motogp currently .. the paddock is divided for sure.

certainly they can make bikes safer.. but there is no replacement for skill.

that said. there are varying levels of slip used in aftermarket clutches.

if i were to purchase one it would be one of the fine clutches made by STM.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Most people buying the big four bikes do not even know that they have one or what one is half the time.
Perhaps, but this strikes me as unlikely. Those shopping for an expensive toy tend to obsess over the characteristics of their options.

Of course, Ducati owners are totally different. :D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I used to get a little wheel hop on fast down hill turns even if I matched the revs perfectly. Not much a problem at normal street speeds or on flat tracks.

I installed a SURFLEX Slipper Clutch w/ Plates: 1098,1198,SF. No problem now--but I still match the revs to get a smooth transition.

-M
Yes, I match revs too.

No, I don't notice the slipper, until I get on my LeMans, and immediately notice that it doesn't have one!

Tom

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Tom, do you notice that it does not have a slipper in any circumstance other than when downshifting while riding very aggressively?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you sir for you input, and like my previous post no harm meant by my silly comments!:)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Perhaps, but this strikes me as unlikely. Those shopping for an expensive toy tend to obsess over the characteristics of their options.

Of course, Ducati owners are totally different. :D
I have to disagree. If there are guys looking for a track bike, I can see this. But, when you look up how many people ask what a slipper is and what it helps, you would be surprised. Most people don't know. I think it is expected when people want a track bike, because usually those people understand bikes and the parts that go into them more often than not.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
So it sounds like the answer is - you dont need it, but...

I havent heard anyone say there is a negative side to having it..

So if you want it, then just do it

Could be other places to better spend your money, or maybe you have enough money to do whatever you want already.

For what its worth. I put the dry clutch on my 848 and it has the slipper. Someone called it a crutch for a less experienced rider, yep that’s me and I love it and the added safety and confidence it gives. Someday like the others on this forum, I will be better than the moto GP guys so I don’t need it. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts