Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When finding out TDC by lining up the marks on the main crankshaft pulley,does this put the horizontal cyclinder in TDC or the vertical one?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
When finding out TDC by lining up the marks on the main crankshaft pulley,does this put the horizontal cyclinder in TDC or the vertical one?
Horizontal but I always check it off the piston through the plug hole.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
......when replacing the cam belts and after marking all the lines on the cam pulleys corresponding to TDC on the main crankshaft pulley, do you have to set each cylinder to TDC before placing the belt on that specific cylinder. That is if your going to replace the vertical cylinder belt first does the vertical cylinder have to be set at TDC.....a bit confusing?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No you must set the horizontal cylinder to tdc then mark the cam shaft pulleys yourself , on both cylinders , mark them along the covers joint . Then loosen the tensioners , then replace the vertical belt then the horizontal belt . Make sure you tighten them the same way as loosened . I.E. make sure you turn the tightening pulley the same way as you loosened it because they go both ways.

Remember to check everything is lined up to your marks when finished.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so when you tighten the tensioner pulley ,you tighten only in one direction? Are you talking about tightening the eccentric part of the pulley right? I assume the locknut is tightened the normal way [clockwise] Thanks for the responses.....appreciated

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
so when you tighten the tensioner pulley ,you tighten only in one direction? Are you talking about tightening the eccentric part of the pulley right? I assume the locknut is tightened the normal way [clockwise] Thanks for the responses.....appreciated
KA-BOOM!:D

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
your cam timing will be off if you dont use the proper cam/crank holding/timing fixtures
Or just mark the correct positions on the pulleys before removing the belts and then set to those - markings that the old Desmoquattro engines had but it seems Ducati omitted on later models? progress I suppose... :confused:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
your cam timing will be off if you dont use the proper cam/crank holding/timing fixtures
Never used one . Dont own one and dont need one . Done dozens with no problem at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts