Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just did the mod to relocate the rectifier/voltage regulator to the right side of the bike (on top of the belt cover). I soldered everything in, so no more connections to melt.

The bike went back together like it should except for the two bolts inside the battery box behind the rubber liner. They screw into the engine case itself so I’m afraid to force them, but both of them feel like they’re cross-threaded and I can’t figure out what’s going on.

I’ll post a picture of the bracket I made. Super simple and got the job done. I had some extra wire in the end so I just looped it up with zip ties.

My new Shorai battery dropped down to 5v (Bc of the bad voltage regulator) so I haven’t been able to test anything yet. I’ll update today hopefully.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,525 Posts
If your Shorai went down to 5v it's probably fucked. they don't like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your Shorai went down to 5v it's probably fucked. they don't like that.
I think the newer ones are a little better. The wall charger didn’t throw an error and it’s charging right now. I’ll post an update later. Do you know anything about those bolts? It’s driving me nuts.

·
7,525 Posts
Well once mine went down past 8v it died, wouldn't hold charge, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't... just a heads up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well once mine went down past 8v it died, wouldn't hold charge, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't... just a heads up.
I bought this bike knowing it would need work, so the battery was the first thing I did. Luckily I’ve had it less than a week. Good to know if the bike has issues I won’t have to immediately blame the rectifier again.

What was your battery model?

·
7,525 Posts
I bought this bike knowing it would need work, so the battery was the first thing I did. Luckily I’ve had it less than a week. Good to know if the bike has issues I won’t have to immediately blame the rectifier again.

What was your battery model?
Shorai, the stock rectifier died on a run and killed it.
Fitted a new Shorai and a Shendingen mosfet regulator (and a voltmeter) and all good now for about 9 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had known about that voltage regulator I would have got that instead. I already purchased the oem one from Ducati before reading about the mosfet. If anything goes wrong that’s what I’ll get next.

Since my Shorai charger charged my battery without any error or anything can I assume all is well?

As for the battery box. I got one bolt in but gave up on the other one. I guess it’s stripped or something Bc I can’t get the bolts to go in straight.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I had known about that voltage regulator I would have got that instead. I already purchased the oem one from Ducati before reading about the mosfet. If anything goes wrong that’s what I’ll get next.

Since my Shorai charger charged my battery without any error or anything can I assume all is well?

As for the battery box. I got one bolt in but gave up on the other one. I guess it’s stripped or something Bc I can’t get the bolts to go in straight.
You need two things ......

Thing #1 (see image) is a battery tester that also has a load bank .. it can help to troubleshoot many things in your charging system, as well as testing the battery itself under load. They typically sell for about $20.00 bucks ... check eBay or Harbor Freight. I've used one of these for over 25 years (15 of which was when I owned/operated my industrial power equipment repair business ... I bet I used that thing a thousand times just during that time period). Best 20 bucks I ever spent on a diagnostic tool.

Thing #2 is the mosfet voltage regulator (Shindengen FHO20AA). Jack at RoadsterCycle is the go-to source around the forum for a very complete kit and you pretty much know none of it is Chinese cloned crap. Here's his website .... lots of helpful info as well as informational videos Jack has produced his own damn self.

LINK = https://roadstercycle.com/

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I just did the mod to relocate the rectifier/voltage regulator to the right side of the bike (on top of the belt cover). I soldered everything in, so no more connections to melt.

The bike went back together like it should except for the two bolts inside the battery box behind the rubber liner. They screw into the engine case itself so I’m afraid to force them, but both of them feel like they’re cross-threaded and I can’t figure out what’s going on.

I’ll post a picture of the bracket I made. Super simple and got the job done. I had some extra wire in the end so I just looped it up with zip ties.

My new Shorai battery dropped down to 5v (Bc of the bad voltage regulator) so I haven’t been able to test anything yet. I’ll update today hopefully.

View attachment 975159
Just few things..Why dont you turn the regulator so that those cooling fins really work and why didnt you cut the wires to correct lenght? Little things that make all the difference ;)

·
7,525 Posts
All you need to test the battery is turn the headlight on for a few minutes and then try to start it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
All you need to test the battery is turn the headlight on for a few minutes and then try to start it.
But that won't allow you to differentiate between cable connection issues, grounding issues, crappy solenoid points, or a bad battery. The little battery load bank can be use to troubleshoot many many things within the system.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just few things..Why dont you turn the regulator so that those cooling fins really work and why didnt you cut the wires to correct lenght? Little things that make all the difference ;)
... and maybe think about using something other than plumber's tape to mount the regulator while you're at it. But don't mind me, I generally don't know what I'm talking about .....

😜 :giggle: :poop:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... and maybe think about using something other than plumber's tape to mount the regulator while you're at it. But don't mind me, I generally don't know what I'm talking about .....

😜 :giggle: :poop:
Yea, you don’t know what you’re talking about because it’s mounted with a steel bracket I made... look again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think that makes a big difference? Maybe I should have done that. I was doing all do this out of a duffle bag in a public car park so it’s not as good as if I had my full garage. If it is indeed a big difference I’ll either rotate it or buy the mosfet next time I do major work.

Also, my full garage is in another country on the other side of the world....so....yea.

I live in a very small apartment in Japan in the city center of Osaka. I’m buying a house here though and will have a garage. If all goes well closing is on the 30th of this month. Working out of a duffle bag in a cramped public parking space is difficult.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone knows anything about the battery box bolts I’d still like to know about that.

I got the left one in with a lot of work, and gave up on the right one. I’m thinking the hole will need to be re-tapped because putting a bolt in shouldn’t be that difficult.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh snap. So why is this bad? The bike is running great right now.
Well, it's not necessarily ~bad~ .... it's just that plumber's tape isn't really well suited for vibration. Every place along it's length where there is a hole the metal is "thinner" (between edge to edge) and is more likely to break where a hole is located. I suppose it could work out for a while, but you might consider redesigning the bracket with a better material at a later date.

Then there are the people that might say "you don't use plumber's tape on a Ducati" .... speaking to the high quality of the Ducati and the hardware store quality of plumber's tape.

But hey, it may just work out great for twenty five years ... :giggle:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's not necessarily ~bad~ .... it's just that plumber's tape isn't really well suited for vibration. Every place along it's length where there is a hole the metal is "thinner" (between edge to edge) and is more likely to break where a hole is located. I suppose it could work out for a while, but you might consider redesigning the bracket with a better material at a later date.

Then there are the people that might say "you don't use plumber's tape on a Ducati" .... speaking to the high quality of the Ducati and the hardware store quality of plumber's tape.

But hey, it may just work out great for twenty five years ... :giggle:
If I had done this in America with a full garage it would have been a different story. This was done in a public parking lot, in Osaka, between 11:30PM and 5:00AM out of a duffel bag. I think it's pretty good for what I had available. 😬

I want that Mosfet kit and may still order it eventually to replace this OEM voltage regulator. I cut the connectors off and hardwired everything, and I'm not sure I could get everything back to the connector now. There were multiple wires of the same color on the same connector, so I went very carefully one wire at a time over several hours. I soldered everything and tried to make the best connections I could so that nothing would burn or melt.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts