Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the reason i am asking is there are not a lot of 1198 motors around let alone cranks, but I've seen 106 cylinders and obviously plenty of new postal pistons... plus plenty of 1098 engines.

I have read tom toms stuff re the various incarnations around these.... is there anyone that has done the big bore 1098 rather than the longer stroke...

ta

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
1098r is actually a 1198. You after a gazillion horsepower? Why? Is it an exercise in seeing how much you will get? ANY COMBINATION WILL WORK, some more so then others. Where do you stop? I'd say a WELL set up 1098 should keep you happy. If not........
May not be the answer you want to hear but you asked the question so there's my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Not exactly what your looking for, but there are other options out there as well. So depending on what is available you have several choices. For example 1200 Diavel or Multistrada motors will accept 1198 Pistons. And also 1098 or 1198 cams.....MTS heads have bigger valves too. Depends on what your trying to build.....and ain't none of it cheap!

Reactions: xracer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its not about that old chestnut "learn to ride what you have already"

nor is it a money saving idea, although like most there is not a bottomless pit.

i am interested in utilising the best and or final evolution of a ducati twin that fits into the two engine bolts and swing arm pivot frame, with minimal fuss. Yes i need to make best use of whats out there...i may even consider buying a 1198s bike to take all the bits i want and sell the rest.

i currently have a frankenduke 748R framed bike with a pretty special 104 bore 1098 cranked motor...that pulls like a train...but i now want the project of building assembling more...

because, i can!

So back to my original question has anyone done the 106 bore conversion on to a 1098 please?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
"The best and final evolution" is the R version if your metric for "best" is that last number on the dyno. Everything else you want to do to build an engine is a compromise. So what is it???? Do you want the best or do you want to build an frankenengine compromise ?? As I've said, any combo will work. A multistrada is basically the engine you are describing you want to build.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
What he means is that he wants a 500cc 2-stroke. That's all everyone wants. Even those that disagree.

Back to the OP, search the forum. Several posts have been made with regard to the 1198 pistons/cylinders on the 1098. All results have been positive.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
So its not about that old chestnut "learn to ride what you have already"

nor is it a money saving idea, although like most there is not a bottomless pit.

i am interested in utilising the best and or final evolution of a ducati twin that fits into the two engine bolts and swing arm pivot frame, with minimal fuss. Yes i need to make best use of whats out there...i may even consider buying a 1198s bike to take all the bits i want and sell the rest.

i currently have a frankenduke 748R framed bike with a pretty special 104 bore 1098 cranked motor...that pulls like a train...but i now want the project of building assembling more...

because, i can!
Yes, Yes, Yes!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
R cams won't fit in 1098. 1098r is actually a 1198. You after a gazillion horsepower? Why? Is it an exercise in seeing how much you will get? ANY COMBINATION WILL WORK, some more so then others. Where do you stop? I'd say a WELL set up 1098 should keep you happy. If not........
May not be the answer you want to hear but you asked the question so there's my thoughts.

er...but thanks for your contribution....

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Imo OP is VERY clear about asking for input regarding combinations available.
He is also very clear about making his own decisions from that info, so lets discuss the options!

For starters R-cams will fit 1098 heads, done it many times. So I think its best if X-racer edits that post as its misleading, and possibly delete som other posts cluttering the subject.
I'll write a post during the day and get back.
Post edited. Need to find my notes on those cams.
Clutter? Trying to work out what the man wants from his first post which isn't to clear. I haven't done a engine like he has described but having built one or two engines :) in my life I gave an educated opinion because he asked "what are your thoughts".

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
.............this'll fuck an RS. Tested: 225 HP Ducati Diavel Turbo
Quick calcs;
diavel oem power:137 djrwhp
Boost 3.6psi = 0.25 bar
Diavel oem wieight wet no gas: 215kg (add some for turbine etc)

137 * 1.25 = 171 realistic hp from that boost
Diavel +rider of 90kg = 305kg (+ for turbine)

RS weight I do not know but its certainly less than 170 wet no fuel, but lets say 170kg.
RS + rider of 90kg = 260kg

171 * (260/305) = 146, so this diavel will accelerate equally quick as a 170kg bike with 146hp.

Edit: For ex a blackbird is in the same power range stock and turbocharging it with 0.8bar renders 215 rwhp, so you need to keep in mind the source is an american magazine :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
You've obviously riden a Diavel on the road to know that with less top end, MORE MID RANGE (this is important) more weight and more wheelbase, the diavel eats a more powerful, shorter wheelbase superbike from a standstill. Going around corners:)......... as you know, not so good. You miss the point with your calculations Tom. You use the biggest number from the dyno and not the area underneath, this is misleading. Acceleration doesn't start at peak power. I don't think I'm telling you something you already know. Your numbers are true but don't tell a fraction of the story. I'm not having a go at you, just saying that power to weight ratio is the absolute worst way to determine how good an engine or bike is.
And I don't think it has been established what the op intends to do with said engine, road bike, track bike, pose bike.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Mostly just pointing out that the issued bike dont have the claimed numbers, not even close.

Mass is there all the time too, so if this diavel makes more power down low than the RS, it still needs to be 21% (315/260) stronger at any point to keep up.
I can bake some charts later so we can bring some clarity to what that means.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is where i am at straight from the dyno today...

Blue 1098 with open pipes and ecu
Red is my 999R motor with 1098 crank....
Black is std 1098s
Green is sorted 1098R
Top is paginate.....

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So i already have a pretty good stonking motor...yes its AFR could do with a bit of tidying up particularly around 6000 revs..

It is currently on std 999 54mm tbs, and 40mm valves.....so i could go 42mm inlets and bigger tbs say 58mm.........but by the time I've spent that...im in potentially 1198 motor build territory...thats why i started this thread

1 - 20 of 67 Posts