Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really digging either of these bikes. I have owned nothing but gixxers for years. I ended up getting a 996 and that did it for me. Now its nothing but Ducati . My budget is tight but i want to be happy with my purchase since this is my "last" bike . Im going to put nothing but street miles on it and enjoy. So i want something used unless i can get a great price.

Should i even bother getting an S?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I bought a 08 base and ended up buying the Ohlins forks & shock for $1800.00 (both in perfect condition) and saved myself $3200.00 over buying an "S". Only difference is in the wheels and if your riding on the street what difference does it make....even then...what difference does it make!!! Don't waste your money on an "S" and do it like I did!

·
9,757 Posts
I bought a 08 base and ended up buying the Ohlins forks & shock for $1800.00 (both in perfect condition) and saved myself $3200.00 over buying an "S". Only difference is in the wheels and if your riding on the street what difference does it make....even then...what difference does it make!!! Don't waste your money on an "S" and do it like I did!
You obviously haven't ridden an S. The wheels make a huge difference.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
216 Posts
You obviously haven't ridden an S. The wheels make a huge difference.
ON the street? no way if you have any intention of keeping your license.

For all street miles go the economical way and skip the S.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How could lighter wheels not make a difference on the street? Unless one is riding at a total snails pace. Do lighter wheels not make a bike turn, accelerate, and brake quicker? Are these not actions we all perform on the street at varying levels of competence and aggresion? Of course there's always cost benefit decisions but lighter wheels have got to be one of the best benefits going no matter where one rides.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How could lighter wheels not make a difference on the street? Unless one is riding at a total snails pace. Do lighter wheels not make a bike turn, accelerate, and brake quicker? Are these not actions we all perform on the street at varying levels of competence and aggresion? Of course there's always cost benefit decisions but lighter wheels have got to be one of the best benefits going no matter where one rides.
I only ride at a snails pace.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Perhaps, but all of your listed bikes have reasonably light wheels!
Yes, but I would not upgrade wheels on a streetbike. Particularly if money was a significant factor which the poster mentioned.

My opinion is that decreasing rotating mass is a big deal...when you are trying to shave seconds off a lap time, not when you are commuting to work or out riding the twisties on the weekend. On the street the 1098 brakes are so friggen' good and the motor is so powerful that I just don't find the minimal extra weight savings would make a difference to ME. Hell I barely get the thing out of third gear.

·
9,757 Posts
Yes, but I would not upgrade wheels on a streetbike. Particularly if money was a significant factor which the poster mentioned.

My opinion is that decreasing rotating mass is a big deal...when you are trying to shave seconds off a lap time, not when you are commuting to work or out riding the twisties on the weekend. On the street the 1098 brakes are so friggen' good and the motor is so powerful that I just don't find the minimal extra weight savings would make a difference to ME. Hell I barely get the thing out of third gear.
I'm glad you openly stated that what you said is merely your opinion, because it its totally wrong.

That said, I can see where you're coming from if you never get out of third gear, but don't just assume that everyone else rides like a starbucker. If you're not getting that bike out of third gear you just bought the wrong bike all together.

The difference in wheel weights is very noticeable, especially when you're riding the canyons with your buddies. I like light wheels so much that I'm contemplating selling my already light S wheels and getting BST's.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm glad you openly stated that what you said is merely your opinion, because it its totally wrong.

That said, I can see where you're coming from if you never get out of third gear, but don't just assume that everyone else rides like a starbucker. If you're not getting that bike out of third gear you just bought the wrong bike all together.

The difference in wheel weights is very noticeable, especially when you're riding the canyons with your buddies. I like light wheels so much that I'm contemplating selling my already light S wheels and getting BST's.
Oh no! I bought the totally wrong bike? Where were you when I needed your advice!

I'm a starbucker alright.

Tell us more about how you are using 5th and 6th gear to go fast in the canyons....I am eager to learn!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Furry muff, I mean fair enough mate. You would know better then I as I have yet to enjoy the privilege of lighter than stock wheels. And perhaps they would make a bigger difference on my 996 that needs all the help it can get in comparison to a 1098. I don't chase lap times as I'm exclusively a street rider, but I have nevertheless appreciated the enhanced feel that some of my small mods (such as lightened flywheel) have given my bike. Based on that particular example and their similarities vis a vis the physics and dynamics of a motorcycle, I feel I would benefit in a similar fashion, if not more so, from the tasty set of BSTs that shall one day adorn Duchess (my bike). Happy trails on that 1098.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If money is tight and its going to strictly for the street, the base model should be fine. In fact, sounds like a perfect fit.

Sure, the S is going to be nicer, but gotta keep things in perspective. The Duc is already really good.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts