Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a long and friendly debate going on StreetFighter sub forum regarding fueling issue at low rpm.
Here is the best description of the problem:
When doing this, my bike runs so rough that it feels as though it is BOTH starving for fuel and has retarded spark. As soon as I open the throttle a tiny tiny amount, fuel supply is restored and the spark advances; the bike runs fine but will accelerate, meaning you cannot maintain a constant speed. The transition between the two states is also pretty abrupt. In this state the bike feels as though every third ignition pulse is missed on both cylinders, not simultaneously but alternating from one cylinder to the other.(I was followed by a cop the very first morning I rode my bike and had to sit on 35 mph for about 3 miles and it was virtually impossible to do.)
I would like to read other detailed descriptions of rough running also.
How smooth is your bike below 4K rpm on the second gear?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
999 with stock gearing. no issues going 35 mph in 2nd gear. And no problem accelerating from as low as 3krpm.
the bike, in the description, might have issues.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Even with Termi's and a dp ecu, the bike is EXTREMELY lean below 4k. Then from about 4.5k to 8k, it's rich.

Like I've said, the bikes are very high hp for being v-twins, thus in order to come anywhere near EPA, they have to be circumsized a LOT in this area.

I'm about to have a custom map on a PC5 done to resolve this. The DP ECU is not enough to have a good map, it still needs to be refined.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The only fair comparison with the SF fueling would be the 1198 as I think these are the first bikes that are set to meeting the euro 3 emissions standards??

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
ive noticed that most of the newer superbike ( 848, 1098, 1198 an SF) dont really like to put around in traffic around those low rpms especailly second gear

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
My 1098 runs fine down low. It has a QD full system with a Protune map on it.
It is a little lumpy because of the big jugs but it does not have any of the problems that I hear a few SF owners are complaining about.

I have a SF as well. It does not have nany of the low RPM issues either. I had a Termi slip-on with DP ECU and now have a high pipe full system with a Protune map on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 1098 is very difficult to ride below 4k at at light throttle before ,and after my arrow slip ons and dp ecu. This winter I am going to take it to feracci for a power commander, custom map and tune.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've never had a Ducati that enjoyed being ridden below 4K and I have always had bikes with custom maps (PCIII and FIM). My 1098 on the other hand is fairly smooth all the way down to 2.5K. Termis and DP ECU, cams timed, TBs synched, CO set. Doesn't love it at that spot, but not terrible either. I prefer to rev the thing above 4K when I can, but sometimes traffic prevents this.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My 2005 999S was awful below 4000 RPM when I got it last fall. Over the winter I reset the valves and worked hard to get the openers all to -.007 and closers to 0.005 +/- 0.0005, then reset the TPS, sync'd the throttle bodies and reset the CO levels to 3%. I also added a PC III and richened the mixture in the 2, 5, and 10% TPS cells from 750- 4000 RPM so that the transition through these cells was linear. This resulted in smooth driveability from 3000 RPM up....

I also adjusted the chain just a tad tighter and that reduction in drive line play brought reasonable driveability down to almost 2500 RPM.

YMMV

·
9,757 Posts
My bike ran rich throughout, but below 4k it was ridiculous. It had stalling problems as well as tentative, snatchy throttle response, which made cruising through tight hairpins a bit of an issue.

As soon as I got the pipes and DP ECU the bike felt more or less perfect. More power in all the right places, and most importantly, the sub 4k issues were completely resolved... runs cooler too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
My '08 1098 has great fueling across the board, and it's dead stock except for Arrow titanium slip-ons. I've had it connected to an exhaust gas analyzer and it was spot-on. Most Ducati's, going back decades, are snatchy below 4k.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for sharing.
So this poor running does not seem like something new, related to Euro 3 emission requirements, and more or less expected from a Ducati engine prior to a custom tuning………

1 - 13 of 13 Posts