Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a track day a couple of weeks ago with my 748 and ktm smc 625. I was on the KTM and caught some guy on a 1098. That is I caught him until we got to the straight section. As soon as he gets the bike upright and is on the throttle the front wheel is up at least until he is far enuff ahead of me I cant tell any more. I cant get that image out of my head and have been putting off a trip to the dealer. I in no way shape or form need another bike. Tell me the horror stories so I may keep my bank account intact.
I did catch and pass him 3 corners after the straight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry no horror stories (OK, mine did leave me stranded a couple weeks ago).

But I still say go for it!

·
9,757 Posts
LOL I don't know if you want to hear this but let me put things in to a perspective you can relate to. We've both got 748's, so let me convey how a 1098 compares to one. You know how the 1098 has roughly 60% more power than the 748? Imagine the brakes and handling (at least on my S) being 60% better too. I have only ridden my 748s three times since I bought my 1098s, it's just that much more satisfying.

Go buy one, there are some killer deals out there now. Hold out for an S if you can swing the extra dough.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1! One HELL of a bike. But to put things into perspective even my "little" 848 is quite a bit more bike than the 748, yet still can't touch a 1098/1198. Once the 848 is paid off I'm taking it off the road and making it a track only machine, and picking up an 1198 for the street (who knows by the time that time rolls around maybe Ducati will have like a 1398 out...that'd be disgusting)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just got my 1098s ...
All I can say is HOLY !! This bike is great. Its not the best bike for long rides or as comfy as my gsxr's but you must pay to play. The 6th gear in this bike feels like 4th gear did on my 996 and 750's . The bike is very light , i get comments from my friends who ride R6's and Kawi's how light the bike feels compared to theres. DO IT!! GO FOR BROKE!!!:D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I just got my 1098s ...
All I can say is HOLY !! This bike is great. Its not the best bike for long rides or as comfy as my gsxr's but you must pay to play. The 6th gear in this bike feels like 4th gear did on my 996 and 750's . The bike is very light , i get comments from my friends who ride R6's and Kawi's how light the bike feels compared to theres. DO IT!! GO FOR BROKE!!!:D
What Matt said. I was at Rev a few weeks ago, commenting on how nice the 999 sitting there looked, but he (Rev rep) said, 'go pick it up' so I pushed it off the stand with the bars. WOW. what a HUGE difference.

I don't get the 6th gear love though. My 6th (even after going 1 under/1 over) is a slug until around 120K. I actually prefer 5th on the highway unless I'm going way to fast or am on a long trip and trying to conserve gas...

I honestly think this thing is lighter than my RZ was!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went to a track day a couple of weeks ago with my 748 and ktm smc 625. I was on the KTM and caught some guy on a 1098. That is I caught him until we got to the straight section. As soon as he gets the bike upright and is on the throttle the front wheel is up at least until he is far enuff ahead of me I cant tell any more. I cant get that image out of my head and have been putting off a trip to the dealer. I in no way shape or form need another bike. Tell me the horror stories so I may keep my bank account intact.
I did catch and pass him 3 corners after the straight.
uhhhhh no horror stories, but I love mine. Man what a bike. But your right you probably don't need another bike............. right??? :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I in no way shape or form need another bike
Of course you don't need another bike!
But change the word 'need' to 'want' and then try to rewrite the sentence quoted above.
;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I still love my 1098 even though it left me stranded a couple weeks and I almost got eaten by bears. Its like the sexy woman who treats you like crap....but you keep coming back anyway.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
uhhhhh no horror stories, but I love mine. Man what a bike. But your right you probably don't need another bike............. right??? :D
Right. I could think of a dozen or 2 bikes I want but I dont need any of them. I have 22 vehicles right now. A fellow once told me, What were once assets past the age of 50 become liabilities. I may have a problem.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Then I probably shouldn't mention the Hayabusa's/liter bikes that I've pulled away from either on the track or the street.

The 1098/1198's are no joke. Competitive power, even better torque, lighter than anything in it's class.

They are NOT comfortable!! But god I just love riding my bike.

·
9,757 Posts
Then I probably shouldn't mention the Hayabusa's/liter bikes that I've pulled away from either on the track or the street.

The 1098/1198's are no joke. Competitive power, even better torque, lighter than anything in it's class.

They are NOT comfortable!! But god I just love riding my bike.
I've pulled on an '07 R1 at the top end. Nuff said!

Do you really think they're not comfortable? I feel like I'm in a body moulded lazy-boy when I'm riding mine, but then again I came from a torture rack 748s, so pretty much anything will seem comfortable to me at this point lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've pulled on an '07 R1 at the top end. Nuff said!

Do you really think they're not comfortable? I feel like I'm in a body moulded lazy-boy when I'm riding mine, but then again I came from a torture rack 748s, so pretty much anything will seem comfortable to me at this point lol.
I agree. I think the 1098 is very comfortable. It fits me alot better than my '04 R1 did. I'm 6'2", I don't know if that has anything to do with it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
For those of you who have had some extensive time on both a 1098/1198, how does the comfort compare to a 999? I've heard quite a few (dis)comfort stories about the 999 prior to buying one but when I put 2000 miles or so on my 999 it didn't feel that bad at all.

And now I've been hearing stories here and there of how the 1098 is supposedly even less comfortable than a 999...? Any truth to that? I'm hoping to get a 1098 on about a year or so, but if it really is worse I wouldn't mind another 999.

·
9,757 Posts
For those of you who have had some extensive time on both a 1098/1198, how does the comfort compare to a 999? I've heard quite a few (dis)comfort stories about the 999 prior to buying one but when I put 2000 miles or so on my 999 it didn't feel that bad at all.

And now I've been hearing stories here and there of how the 1098 is supposedly even less comfortable than a 999...? Any truth to that? I'm hoping to get a 1098 on about a year or so, but if it really is worse I wouldn't mind another 999.
Personally I'm not a fan of the 999's riding position. Have you ever ridden a 916 bike? You can picture the 1098 position as being a mix between the 999 and the 916. For me it is perfect.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Okay, let me rephrase.

After riding for 6+ hours, it gets to be not comfortable. As soon as the road starts turning left and right, it fits like a glove. But for very long rides, not so much.

R1's were worse, to me!

Other than trying to ride a Superbike like a touring bike all day, it's great!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of the 999's riding position. Have you ever ridden a 916 bike? You can picture the 1098 position as being a mix between the 999 and the 916. For me it is perfect.
Ah, no I've never ridden a 916 Duc... the 999 is my only experience with Ducati so far. Unfortunately there are no Ducati dealers anywhere close to where I love.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts