Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search but couldn't find anything on this: if you have a Nemesis (or similar) ECU with the ability to turn off the immobiliser will a 1098/1198 dash work on a 749/999? Are there any other CANBUS dash's that might be an option? There are some things I love about Terblanche's polarising design and some things that are sand in my crack, I don't hate the dash but I don't love it either hence I'm looking at options.

I've realised I have most of another bike in accumulated spares so what better way to store them all neat and tidy like than to throw them together? That's my line for the missus anyway, "Honest hun, it's all about the most efficient use of space". It's just a real slowburn project to keep me busy on nightshift pottering away looking for the various bits and bobs as and when I can find a few spare shekels. The spare engine at the moment is my 999RS so whether I put all the primo bits into one good bike and the rest into a junkyard dog with the 749R donk, I dunno, I guess it'll depend on what I can scrounge up.

I already had a slightly tweaked 749R frame which I can hopefully repair and I've squirreled away a 749R shock/link/triples/eccentric, mono rear subframe, pierobon front subframe, fairings, 749RS rad/cooler, 749RS tank mount, RS carbon tail and seat, beat up tank, funky 'zorst.....so it'll be an "interesting" ol' mutt, but it won't be pretty, and for the life of me I can't picture a stock 999 dash on it.

I have a Nemesis/Digitek Falcon combo on the current track bike, and it's awesome with the quickshifter/laptimer/lambda kit all just plug and play, but I can't see the budget stretching that far again. Yes, there's all the cool AIM, Haltech, Motec type stuff as well but if anything it's even more expensive than the Digitek and won't work as seamlessly.

Any thoughts? Anybody put something different on one of these things?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Evening Spud. These are thoughts only. As the 999 to 1198 dash and ecu are from the same “family” and talk the same language then I can’t see why a 10-1198 dash can’t be made to work with stock or nemesis ecu. You would only have to change the harness pin- out to dash as some are in different locations. Have you thought maybe about a Haltech can-bus dash. Thinking of getting one for the 999. Looks sweet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looking for the same thing. would also like the newer dash on my 749r. The connectors are the same. the wiring maybe not.
unfortunately i am unable to upload the electric wiring diagram.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evening Spud. These are thoughts only. As the 999 to 1198 dash and ecu are from the same “family” and talk the same language then I can’t see why a 10-1198 dash can’t be made to work with stock or nemesis ecu. You would only have to change the harness pin- out to dash as some are in different locations. Have you thought maybe about a Haltech can-bus dash. Thinking of getting one for the 999. Looks sweet.
G'day Rob. One of my work mates is into Land Speed Racing at Lake Gairdner and has a Haltech IQ3 in his LSR car. It would be perfect, with some nice functions and even data logging, but you get what you pay for. The Street version would be fine with a few less functions but it's still +$1000 AUD. Maybe I'll just wait for my buddy to crash his LSR car (old Hudson Terraplane, they've got a 900hp [!!!] donk ready for next March, it's not exactly out of the question!) and sift through the wreckage, lol.

Looking for the same thing. would also like the newer dash on my 749r. The connectors are the same. the wiring maybe not.
unfortunately i am unable to upload the electric wiring diagram.
Awww c/mon mrfurry, I've drooled over some of the cool parts you are getting rid of, I can only imagine what is tucked away on a shelf somewhere. I'm just going to keep an eye out, and even if something damaged comes up at a giveaway price it would be interesting to just have a play over a few brews.

Its not a straight swap, no.
You're not just cranky because it's started snowing are you Tom? I'd happily send you a bottle of 35degC West Australian sunshine free of charge if you have any more info.....

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'll give you some thoughts to munch on...

I think the starting point should be a 1098/1198 ECU paired with a 1098/1198 dash (you may need the harness too or at least the connector from the harness to the dash). Reason being communication between ECU and dash is CANBUS which is a bunch of zeros and ones (i.e. digital BUS) not analogue so it may be more complicated to get a 999S ECU to communicate with an 1198

The inputs/outputs are analogue so it would be more straight forward to repin the connectors on the ECU so the inputs (TPS, crank, etc) and outputs (injectors and spark) line up... Basically it would come down to opening the connectors and moving pins around. That is if hopefully the CANBUS pins stay where they should.

Once this is done, you'd probably have to find someone who's able to remap the ECU (as you'd be using a 1098/1198 map on a 999) or maybe you can get away with a PC5 or the alike. Or maybe you can use Guzzi diag to flash the stock 999 BIN file to the 1098/1198 ECU and see what happens (you can pull the stock dump from your ECU before unplugging it)

I think the 1st step for you would be to download from the Ducati website the owners manual of the 1098/1198 donor and of the 999: both should be IAW 5AM ECUs (I think early 999 were on the 59M which may be more complicated since it's a different hardware). Go to the last page, trace one and the other and see what you're dealing with.

Interesting project you got going!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ZetaTre, any and all input welcome.

The 749/999 dash is CANBUS too, so no drama's there (apparently the 999 was the first production bike to use CANBUS). The Nemesis ECU sold for these bikes is common between the 749 - 1198 and you simply select the configuration/map you would like to install. With so much electronic commonality I thought there would be a fair chance that the dash would also be interchangeable (with the immobiliser function turned off no pairing between dash and ECU is required). I'll try and find a Nemesis rather than OEM ECU and a PCV so I can use the lambda tuning kit and laptimer etc from the other bike and it elminates the need for pairing the dash etc.

Yes, a 1*98 loom might be a way around it, and I'm keeping the option in the back of my head as I haven't got a loom sorted yet. But it's also another expense and the faffing around to suit the 999 (airbox/injector plug etc) probably brings a Falcon/Haltech/AIM etc back into play. But you never know, I might get lucky.

One other issue is the air pressure sensor is incorporated into the 749/999 dash, I'm not sure if it's the same with the later units? Might be a case of fitting an external sensor (916-748-996-st2-st4) as is done when fitting a Falcon dash.

Yes, it is interesting, but it would be a lot easier if I had more than a 2 digit IQ.....

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
There’s heaps of options Spud. They ALL involve work to get them going. I one fitted a Honda sp1 dash to a 996, then a 998, now I’m fitting on to a 1991 gsxr. Also have a 998 here that I’m fitting a translogic. Iv looked extensively at Haltech and I believe that’s the way to go. Missed out on a second hand street dash in Adelaide. $600. Procrastinated to long.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
You're not just cranky because it's started snowing are you Tom? I'd happily send you a bottle of 35degC West Australian sunshine free of charge if you have any more info.....
Hey there! Its a common misconception snow or cold is something we dont like here. Were grown up with it and have learned how to put proper clothes on and a few more tricks, so were looking forward to it!
Days are shorter now, but on the other hand in the summer theyre equally longer, it all sums up :) You should try coming over in june and experience it being daylight until 11PM :)
No shortage of nutter stuff either with ice-riding a 999, it truly sucked at it :)
In a month or so when winter really kicks in we get to this:

There is a raceclass for it too, both Sweden and Finland have national races in this category, my personal best is 9th in the swedish, this is just a local race:

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there! Its a common misconception snow or cold is something we dont like here. Were grown up with it and have learned how to put proper clothes on and a few more tricks, so were looking forward to it!
Days are shorter now, but on the other hand in the summer theyre equally longer, it all sums up :) You should try coming over in june and experience it being daylight until 11PM :)
No shortage of nutter stuff either with ice-riding a 999, it truly sucked at it :)
In a month or so when winter really kicks in we get to this:

There is a raceclass for it too, both Sweden and Finland have national races in this category, my personal best is 9th in the swedish, this is just a local race:
Yes, I miss the 4 seasons of NZ, something we don't really get in Western Australia unless you are further South. I've seen a little bit of your ice speedway, quite amazing to watch, a totally different discipline.

Love the 999, and the snow racing, a bit like our beach racing back in NZ. Now where can I get some of those tyres?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts