Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed 1098/1198 cams in their MTS? Why would I do this? Good question.... I LOVE the bike, but with close to 90,000 miles, it would be nice to turn her into a 'project bike' & doing a cam change is simple (I do all my own maintenance), but....I have several questions:
1) for the full benefit, would I need new pistons?
2) would the ECU have to be reflashed
3) IF anyone has done this install, what were the 'true' gains i.e. dyno #'s

And yes, I'd buy a new/old MTS. New '16's can be had for $12000 & '17's for $16,000?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Try a search. There was someone on the forum here who did the 41 degree conversion a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
11 degrees vs 41 degrees

Given the vastly different overlap, it's almost certain that a different map would be required! I'm aware that piggy back items are available, but these don't affect timing, only fuel "quantity". Good luck! It will be interesting to see how this goes.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
Me and tomtom debated this alot for my 2010 MTS1200s. We where discussing if you could make the bike a real superbike, but it being a sleeper Multistrada looker.

Basically, it´s very doable. Have a look at the xx98 into 9xx long running thread in the superbikes section and there are even people who have done it.
Only cams will not give you that much, I think around 10hp and the same in torques is what we could figure. Doing pistons from a 1198 will give you around the same. The returns gain alot when you do both. Healthy bump in compression using Pistals and then a pair of 1098 or 1198 cams per head and your looking at 25-30hp and as many torques with a good map. I would have gotten parts and labour at cost, even the custom mapping..

In the end I decided against it simply because the temperament of the engine would also have changed. It would have become a true superbike engine with less low-end grunt, abit less midrange and alot more at the top. That would have made the bike less useful on the road. I have yet to be outstripped by anything in the twisties, except a Swedish superbike rider on an old Ducati 748.. And no amount of hp was going to help me there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts