Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full report to follow. Lots of pics to upload. Here's a teaser.

I rode from NYC to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham AL for a trackday. 1003 miles in 16.5 hours. :eek:

Mutley in road fashion...

Mutley in track fashion kicking some sportbike butt!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1003 Miles - NYC to Barber Motorsports – Track Day

Over the years Ducati’s have always been out of my price range. My mentality was that I had rather own several cheap bikes than one expensive bike. From 2009-2011 my track, street, and adventure bikes sat more than they got ridden. Last year I decide to sell them all and buy as close to a “do it all” bike as I could find. I set my sights on the Multistrada and haven’t turned back. After finding a bargain in upstate NY I was the proud owner of a new to me 2010 with loads of goodies.

Since then I have made several day trips and have to say this is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Even the corbin seat on my Man-Strom can’t compete with the factory Ducati seat. It seems to fit me perfectly. I can ride all day without any worries.

Early in the year I planned to attend a track day with some friends down at Barber Motorsports Park. As luck would have it I got a three day weekend and decided to make a go for it. I left NYC just after midnight and started south. 1003 miles and 16.5 hours later I was at the track. I have an official Iron Butt on record already so I didn’t worry with making this one official. My trip down was pretty uneventful. Lots of gas stops and my Sena keep the tunes playing in my helmet for hours on end. I had one brief thunderstorm reprieve under an underpass for about 15 minutes and averaged 40-43 mpg. I tried to keep my speed around 82-84mph

To be continued...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the track I fitted the Mutley with a proper set of Michelin Power One’s.

I stripped off the bags, rear taillight assembly, center stand, mirrors, and fitted a sporty windshield. I had been researching suspension settings for the last several months and decided to convert the Enduro mode into Trackday mode for my liking. I set the sag then loaded the four modes (solo, solo with bags, passenger, passenger with bags) with different suspension settings so I could fine tune suspension easily. After the first session I learned the rear was too soft and changed to a stiffer setting on pit lane. It was nice to hot pit, change to a different setting and get back on the track quickly. This allowed me to fine tune the suspension with minimal loss of track time. I made a suspension form that I could track and keep notes on if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let’s just say that this bike is worth every penny. The bike handles like a dream and screams out of the corners. The bike drew plenty of attention from the weekend sport bike warriors too. This bike crushed a lot of sport bike ego’s and earned some new found respect among some really skilled riders. Don’t get me wrong, ground clearance is an issue. I had adjusted the shifter as high as possible and still managed to drag the side stand, shifter, and pegs. Riding this bike fast is easy but you really have to hang off to keep the hard parts from dragging.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept the traction control set at 3 and it worked flawlessly. The TC kept the front tire hovering just off the ground coming out of a couple of the faster turns. I could only slightly feel it. ABS worked flawlessly too, I never even knew it was there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Overall I am super happy with my purchase. I have had issues (tank expanding and replaced) but the little issues are what make bikes unique. My fasted lap was a 1:46 for those that know Barber. That’s not going to make the AMA grid but it sure does make for some sport bike ego crushing fun. Mutley on fellas and safe travels.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And if you have never been, you owe yourself a trip to Barber Motorsports Park. The motorcycle museum is second to none. The facility and grounds are top notch. And who knows.... you may even catch a naked women bathing in the pond... :D

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Nice spread, thanks for sharing. I suppose you were running the sport map?
This is what's it's all about. Load down the bike, hit the road, do a track event and motor home.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I admit my partiality but Barber is one of the best facilities in the country, bar none. Worth the drive (ride) regardless of the distance.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
I think that I may be repeating myself but Barber is a holy place and George Barber should be nominated for Sainthood.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
To the OP... You're my effin hero. It takes some serious balls to ride a bike 1000 miles, track it, and run the risk of not having something to get back home with. You, are a real biker... And the multi is an amazing machine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To the OP... You're my effin hero. It takes some serious balls to ride a bike 1000 miles, track it, and run the risk of not having something to get back home with. You, are a real biker... And the multi is an amazing machine.
Thanks C! This bike is a blast to ride and a true sleeper on the track.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,293 Posts
Definitely my hero, as well! I do love the entire experience of Barber, but I've always wimped out and trailered the sportybikes down. You have inspired me to hoof it down there on the multi when my next opportunity comes along.

I won't be doing 1:46's though...;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely my hero, as well! I do love the entire experience of Barber, but I've always wimped out and trailered the sportybikes down. You have inspired me to hoof it down there on the multi when my next opportunity comes along.

I won't be doing 1:46's though...;)
Cool!! Keep me in mind, I'd be glad to make the trip all over again. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts