Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i'm trying to sell my 1000 SS so I can buy the 848 that I drool over everytime I see it. I was just wondering, how do all you 848 owners like your bike? I mostly just do street riding, with a few short trips here and there. I sat on an 848 today and found the seat to be not as comfy as the SS, maybe it just wasn't broken in. Is there anything weird in any way about the 848 that would deter a potential buyer?

Looking forward to the feedback :)

Stinson

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you could keep both i would do that. But for street the 2 valve 1000Ds is a fantastic motor and it's a way more comfy bike. I hate my 999 when i have to ride it in the city.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I wish I could keep both, but unfortunately I would ride one more than the other and it would just end up being a dust collector. Also on super warm days, the 1000SS gets a bit toasty in city traffic :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Runs great when it wants to run great but like the 1098 many have been suffering from stalling issues and there is the VR recall (which if you bought one I'd have the dealer perform it if they haven't done it already before you walk out the door). I've been lucky and while mine has stalled on occasion it's not as stall happy as some I have read about. Other than that it's def the sexiest bike around. I came off of an R6 before going the 848 route and the R6 felt more comfortable at first...but after some good saddle time the 848 is a decently comfortable bike (but I'm short...only 5'6"-5'7")...and I hear some taller riders don't like it as much as the ergonomics are much more race-like than many other street bikes. You lean more so much more pressure is on your wrists and you do feel it after an hour or so of riding...but you get used to it and in the end it's all worth it IMO. 3700 miles on mine right now and hope to own it for a long time (just need to play with it a bit more to get it up and running perfect)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bhmax16, thanks for the reply. I have no problem with the riding positiong. the 1000SS is pretty aggressive, so, i should be fine. Suprised about the stalling issues though. I may have to look into that a little more. :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah they seem to be happening for different reasons. Most reasons seem to have to do with either needing an updated ECU (which Ducati has been warrantying)...I didn't go that route since I already have a reprogrammed ECU with the DP map. Another issue seems to me that there were some cams that were mis-machined or mis-marked and therefore the timing is off from the factory. Many of the 848's have benefited from having the timing reset. Since my issue is so minor I'm prob not going to degree the cams until my first valve check in another 4,000 miles, as I feel it's the only other thing that could be causing my issue. However I also read some of the DP ecu's don't perform flawlessly out of the box, and a very knowledgable member on the ducati.net forum suggested I adjust the fuel trim values using the vdsts software I have...so I may do that in the next few days and can report back to you how it runs then. Don't let it scare you it has quirks...it's a new model bike...but boy is it fun to ride

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you think the 1000SS is warm in traffic, wait until your try the 848 with its upswept exhaust and radiator heat.
I had both a 748 and 900SS until last Fall when I had to sell one or the other. As most of my riding is on the street the 900SS was the keeper of the two. A much better machine for that environment as you don't often get to use that high-RPM power but mid-range torque always comes in handy.
Why doesn't Ducati bring back the 2V SS, but with updated styling to rival their superbikes?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you think the 1000SS is warm in traffic, wait until your try the 848 with its upswept exhaust and radiator heat...
+1 on this. If that's your reason for looking you are going to be disappointed. And the seats do not break in. Keep both, or at least keep your 1000 until you own the 848 for a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How hot exactly does it get? I've had my SS up to nearly 165°C sitting in traffic on a 30°C day. I would have thought a liquid cooled, with a wet clutch would be a little cooler. But I guess when you have exhaust pipes runnin up your butt... The main reason why I'm hesitant on keeping the SS is upkeep. Since it is a discontinued bike :mad: i'm just worried parts will be extremely expensive and few and far between.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
How hot exactly does it get? I've had my SS up to nearly 165°C sitting in traffic on a 30°C day. I would have thought a liquid cooled, with a wet clutch would be a little cooler. But I guess when you have exhaust pipes runnin up your butt... The main reason why I'm hesitant on keeping the SS is upkeep. Since it is a discontinued bike :mad: i'm just worried parts will be extremely expensive and few and far between.
One 85 degree day I elected to ride my 748 with jeans rather than leather pants. After 1/2 hour my jeans were soaking wet on the right thigh from the sweat caused by excessive exhaust heat.

Upkeep? Tune-ups on that 848 will cost double what they are on the SS, for starters. And the 1000DS motor is still being used/sold on the Sport Classics and the 1100cc version on the Hyper, Multi and Monster models. What is your real issue here?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It gets hot, but in all honesty I don't feel it gets any hotter around the legs than my 2003 R6 did. The butt area is a different story...it gets warm but even on a 90 degree day I've never really been uncomfortable. Maybe while it really heavy traffic but my temp has never exceeded the 219-221F range...don't know the celcius conversion right now, haha

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My 748R had no cats in its exhaust plumbing and still was plenty hot in the rear area. Guys, the SS is just a better street bike than a 748/848, period.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One 85 degree day I elected to ride my 748 with jeans rather than leather pants. After 1/2 hour my jeans were soaking wet on the right thigh from the sweat caused by excessive exhaust heat.

Upkeep? Tune-ups on that 848 will cost double what they are on the SS, for starters. And the 1000DS motor is still being used/sold on the Sport Classics and the 1100cc version on the Hyper, Multi and Monster models. What is your real issue here?
Upkeep is really that expensive on the bikes? I guess with the so called 50% reduced maintenance they have to make money somehow... I didn't know the motor was still in the Sport Classic and the other bikes. I got a little freaked out when a screw vibrated out of my fairing and my dealer told me they didn't make the screw anymore...

It seems the more I read, the less I want an 848 now. Maybe I'll just spend my money and make the SS into a more beautiful bike than it already is. Thanks guys for your posts so far.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
If the heat is a real concern. Get a set of pipes and get rid of the cats. Some slip ons will cool the toaster down a bit. The best thing to do is avoid traffic as much as possible. I don't really think these bikes were made for city riding.
Indeed, my 999R is much better with a full system.

But, my SS is better on average.

Tom

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Upkeep is really that expensive on the bikes? I guess with the so called 50% reduced maintenance they have to make money somehow... I didn't know the motor was still in the Sport Classic and the other bikes. I got a little freaked out when a screw vibrated out of my fairing and my dealer told me they didn't make the screw anymore...

It seems the more I read, the less I want an 848 now. Maybe I'll just spend my money and make the SS into a more beautiful bike than it already is. Thanks guys for your posts so far.
Dude, you can go all NCR on that bike... You got money to burn?!?! go for it!

Try to not depend on any dealer for simple parts like screws unless they are very special ones.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

The valve adjustments on a 4V are something like $700, versus $300 for a 2V. On the 4V you have to remove the heads to do the work. Hey, I like 4Vs, but the 2v makes for a better street bike IMHO.

·
Registered
923 Posts
ss1000DS was my first choice over the 999, but they never roll through the dealers around here. Even 800's are hard to find. They just happened to have a killer deal on a gently used 04 999 and gave me 3 years warranty on it. So i dove in. But my Gt1000 was a much nicer more fun bike to drive around town. Honestly, i am always on the g/f's 696 if she isn't riding it. So i may look for a monster 800 after my car is paid off so my 999 and her 696 can have another stable mate:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts