Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not find a specific thread on this. Besides axle, brake carrier, and slider blocks, what other things are needed? Ran across a deal I could not pass up and just picked one up.

Much thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
possibly a swingarm pivot and hugger.

You never told us what swingarm you have now.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
You'll also want the correct pivot. The fancy DS swingarm has a different clamping system than the older versions, I believe it requires the use of the pivot specific to it. IIRC there's been two or three updated part numbers, the newest of which is still available via Ducati.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info. I did a bit more searching and I'm nearly sure its from Ducati 900SSie '02 (as I also got a red Marchesini wheel in a box of parts I just picked up).

Brake caliper hanger is below the swingarm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll also want the correct pivot. The fancy DS swingarm has a different clamping system than the older versions, I believe it requires the use of the pivot specific to it. IIRC there's been two or three updated part numbers, the newest of which is still available via Ducati.
pysopper, I see you are in Beaverton. I'm often up in Hillsboro at Intel.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
the swingarm pivot part number on the ducati parts system is the same for all ss 600 - 1000, non 1000 monsters, sport classic and gt and even a couple of years of st2/4/4s. 36911172A. not cheap.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
pysopper, I see you are in Beaverton. I'm often up in Hillsboro at Intel.
I am often there too, I work at Ronler Acres in D1D/D1X. :)

Are you an Intel employee?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am often there too, I work at Ronler Acres in D1D/D1X. :)

Are you an Intel employee?
Green badge. I'm an engineer for a company that makes metrology equipment. Used to go to RA1 and D1D but now just JF6.

Scott

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Could not find a specific thread on this. Besides axle, brake carrier, and slider blocks, what other things are needed? Ran across a deal I could not pass up and just picked one up.

Much thanks.
I installed this swingarm on my '95 SS. I had to space out the right-side rear-set by 5mm so that the brake linkage didn't scratch the swingarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for further details and photos. That looks like the easy part.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Thanks for further details and photos. That looks like the easy part.
Actually, I found the entire swap to be straightforward. Everything just bolts up, for the most part, using stock parts.

I bought my 1000SS swingarm from Japan. It arrived bare, without any of the ancillary parts. I think it may have had the pivot clamp fasteners, but it was missing everything else. I ordered all the other stuff new, including the inner fender, chain guards, etc. I think it cost me a couple hundred dollars to dress it with new factory parts.

This was one of the easier projects I've done on the bike. Most of the effort is just trying to research and procure little fasteners and other factory parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts