Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Bruce this should be right up your alley.... I put an offer in on a 1000 DS today so we'll see. Seems like it might be the perfect fit for me, lower maintence cost than a 999, fun, simplier (though not as lovely looking as a 93 900 SS/SP, but it looks good.

Does anyone make a full exhaust for it?

I was reading in the Dec 2003 Sport Rider (and my wife thought that I would never dig them out.....) that 6th gear is useless unless you are doing 80 mph, do most drop a tooth in the front or what?

Might be the perfect mix for what I am looking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great bikes - you'll get lot's of support here. Just did another 100 miles each today and Saturday on mine. I ride with a buddy with another Terblanche design - 999s both in red. I don't really give up anything on him with the roads and style we ride. And I don't agree with you on the "not as lovely looking." That is a myth that's now been bantered about for so long it's become fact. But in fact is not true. They each have their pluses and minuses. For me, I like curves and the ie is full of them.

I'm sure there are some full exhausts out there but can't point you in the right direction. Parts sometimes are a bit hard to find for these bikes as they didn't sell many toward the end.

As far as gearing, there have been a lot of threads on that topic here recently - so check them out. I think most recommend going larger in back. I'll probably do that at my next new chain. But I don't have much to complain about with stock gearing either. You are right though about the 80mph in 6th. Here is a good resource:

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

And another couple of articles you may enjoy:

Ducati 1000 DS

Ducati 1000SS - Review Test Motorcycle Comparison

Let us know how your offer turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Alright Bruce this should be right up your alley....
I was reading in the Dec 2003 Sport Rider (and my wife thought that I would never dig them out.....) that 6th gear is useless unless you are doing 80 mph, do most drop a tooth in the front or what?

Might be the perfect mix for what I am looking for.

Thanks
I went from a 15T front sprocket to a 14T and at 80 mph the tach was showing 4500 rpm in 6th gear. Just short of the proper rev range IMO. So, I changed the rear sprocket to a 42T and WOW! Now at 80 mph the tach is at 5,000 rpm and all the gears up to 6th are so much better. The sprocket changes have transformed the bike. So glad I did this.

BTW, where did you find the SS1000DS?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duc800 very nice DS! I like the white number plate on front.

Bruce I called the shop that you sent me a link on. Hell if worse comes to worse, I wil fly out on a Thursday afternoon and ride back over the weekend..... 1400 miles should be fun from Colordao to Atlanta eh?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Duc800 very nice DS! I like the white number plate on front.

Bruce I called the shop that you sent me a link on. Hell if worse comes to worse, I wil fly out on a Thursday afternoon and ride back over the weekend..... 1400 miles should be fun from Colordao to Atlanta eh?

Hope that works well for you. It's what I would do. Then again I've been told I'm a bit nuts. :) Should be fun and that SS is the bike to do it on. BTW I can't remember if I posted a pic but that is the same paint scheme that I have.​

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reviews I have looked for full exhaust for it and I guess they don't make them..... Bruce19 said that he thought the header pipes from a 900 would work has anyone done this? I see that a 1000DS is for sale in the classifieds, I sent the guy a PM since I couldn't post a reply (like an idiot I didn't read why I couldn't post and bought a lifetime membership when I didn't have too.........Ooops)

So I am narrowed down to a 998 biposto that is about 20 miles from my house with 3k miles and has been sitting for awhile (so it will need a service, belts changed, oil, a good going through) for $8,000 or the 2006 1000DS in the classifieds that would probably be a better bike for my needs for $7,000 plus shipping (around $600-$700) but has been maintained....

Ugggh decisions decisions......

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Thanks for the reviews I have looked for full exhaust for it and I guess they don't make them..... Bruce19 said that he thought the header pipes from a 900 would work has anyone done this?
In about an hour I'm out of here for Amsterdam but I needed to post here. I don't think I said that the header pipes for a 900 would fit a 1000ds. If I did, or implied that, it's not what I meant to say. What I thought I was saying was that the cans (mufflers) were interchangeable per some of the websites I saw on line.

I do think the SS1000DS is more versatile and easier to live with than a 998. But, don't take that to mean that a 998 is hard to live with. I love both of them. Assuming that the bikes were well cared for (make sure you see records) either will make you smile and be a good companion for years to come.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruce I must've been tired when I read that because I was thinking that the head pipes would work. My bad.... I'll keep you posted. Have fun on your trip. I am going on vacation starting this Friday so we'll see if I find what I want by then or not.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts