Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently in Ducati of Miami over Xmas and saw the 2005 1000DS Supersport. Does anyone here have any firsthand knowlege about it. Its not as sexy, aggressive, or pricey as a 999 but it's damn close. Thoughts from the group?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Ss 1000ds

No, not as sexy as the 999, but infinitely more usable on the street. The lighter machine weight (about 30# less than the 999) and torquey powerband work very well. I've found the handling to be very close to my other bike (748R), including track days. The only trade-off is on the long straights at track days, where the superbikes will drive by on the top end.

If you're a street rider who is more interested in what you really need from a machine rather than the high-HP imagery, the SS is a great answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
It doesn't cost as much to service it and doesn't have a appetite for tires, chains, and valve shims. I really love mine I wouldn't trade it for nothing, well, except for that 999r I saw at the bike shop today.
T2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. This is really a tough decision. I have a great two up bike and my BMW 1200 GS is the best winter bike I have ever owned. Heated grips and seat option. I kinda want to fill that summer weather single up void of running the mountain twisties. Guess I'll have to wait for my trip to Denver and then just post the pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
rz33v4 said:
No, not as sexy as the 999, but infinitely more usable on the street. The lighter machine weight (about 30# less than the 999) and torquey powerband work very well. I've found the handling to be very close to my other bike (748R), including track days. The only trade-off is on the long straights at track days, where the superbikes will drive by on the top end.

If you're a street rider who is more interested in what you really need from a machine rather than the high-HP imagery, the SS is a great answer.
+1. I have a 749R that I love on the track, but for the street, my SS1000 is much better. With a set of Termis and a 14t, it is the best street bike I've ever ridden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
1000ss

Hi guys

I bought my 1000ss when it first came out in 2003, before that i had the 750s 2001, and i have to say that the engine in the 1000ss is just amazing, and the sound the sound, i have carbon Remus exhaust. I am thinking about putting on a open clutch cover this year, and perhaps make a new rear wheel mudguard. Anybody who buy the 1000ss is never going to regret it.

By the way, here in Sweden it is -10, so i have to wait before i can ride agin, the snow makes it kind a hard.

Have a nice week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
twotie4 said:
Thanks for the info. This is really a tough decision. I have a great two up bike and my BMW 1200 GS is the best winter bike I have ever owned. Heated grips and seat option. I kinda want to fill that summer weather single up void of running the mountain twisties. Guess I'll have to wait for my trip to Denver and then just post the pictures.
I also ride a R1200GS, and a SS1000, the contrast between the two are perfect for me, I love both for what they are good at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
st2lemans said:
Mine does. I get about 2500 miles on a rear, a couple hundred more on the front, same as my ST2.

Tom
holy poop!

what tires are you using?

on my 900 I get about 5-6000 miles and that's with heavy commuting on a Pilot Power....3k was on the crappy Metzler M1!
 

·
Chilehead
Joined
·
6,870 Posts
JDuc said:
holy poop!

what tires are you using?

on my 900 I get about 5-6000 miles and that's with heavy commuting on a Pilot Power....3k was on the crappy Metzler M1!
Pilot Power, Diablo, Diablo Corsa, D208RR. 2500-3000 miles, depending on tire.

Diablo Corsa and D208RR lasted about 3000 miles, normal Diablo 2500, Pilot Power 2750.

No commuting as I walk the half-mile to work, 4x/ day (home for lunch, unless the weather's nice and then I go riding for an hour or so).

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
Man...I must be doing something wrong in the tire department also. Michelin Hi-Sports that came on the SS...7,200 and coulda squeezed more. Bridgestone BT-014's on there now...2,200 with no signs of wear. Pilot Powers on my 749...6,600 and looking for at least another 1,500 out of them. This is with a pretty fair mix of highway/commute/around town riding and some good canyon riding down to the edges on both bikes.

Question though...shouldn't you be getting BETTER mileage from the normal Diablo and not the Corsa?? Does anyone even like the Bridgestones?? Don't hear to much about them around Duc's and I love them on my SS...so much so I think it's gonna be my next tire on the 749.

OK, back on subject...the SS is a great bike and even though mine is a 800, that thing is fun to get back on all the time. Nothing looks better than this bike with a set of high mounts on it. I could have gotten a brand new 1000 for a little cheaper than my 749 and there are days when I look at my SS and regret it.
 

·
Chilehead
Joined
·
6,870 Posts
galaxy said:
shouldn't you be getting BETTER mileage from the normal Diablo and not the Corsa??
Good question. I figure that the normal Diablos heat up quicker, and therefore wear faster. My friends all get the same mileage.

90% of the riding I do is 'canyon' riding. I use the full width of my tires. I ride them down to the wear bars, not the cords.

Hitting the rev limiter and slipping the rear are normal occurances. I get less slip if I lower the pressure in the rear to 31 psi, but I don't always do that as I'm sure that my tires will wear even faster!

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
st2lemans said:
Pilot Power, Diablo, Diablo Corsa, D208RR. 2500-3000 miles, depending on tire.

Diablo Corsa and D208RR lasted about 3000 miles, normal Diablo 2500, Pilot Power 2750.

No commuting as I walk the half-mile to work, 4x/ day (home for lunch, unless the weather's nice and then I go riding for an hour or so).

Tom
what kind of pressure are you running? that's just insane!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
I only run mine to the wear bars also...All I can say is you must be one helluva rider to be burnin up tires like that. I'm jealous. Heck, I would tend to think if 90% of my riding was canyons, I would get even MORE mileage out of my tires since I 100% always end up replacing tires due to wear down the center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
galaxy said:
I only run mine to the wear bars also...All I can say is you must be one helluva rider to be burnin up tires like that. I'm jealous. Heck, I would tend to think if 90% of my riding was canyons, I would get even MORE mileage out of my tires since I 100% always end up replacing tires due to wear down the center.
same here!

darn man!

I'm running 36 for commuting, like to drop it to about 34 when I'm out on the roads having fun....

3k miles!? damn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
As far as the bike is concerned, I spent some tome on an '04 SS (same bike I believe) this last summer and really enjoyed it. Nice handling, reasonably comfortable (way more so than the 749 I also tried) and really loved the motor. It just has a nice rush of power everywhere, very smooth but plenty fast. For the street it's a great bike. You can tool around with no protest or really get on it. I'm not too wild on the front fairing styling but as a package the bike works extremely well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
Brigestones here!!! 014 front - 020 rear.. the original pilot got about 9000km but didn't get changed till the were strips of canvass there at 9900km. Replaced with an 020 which was great untill 27 500 km ( about 17 000 km ) edges were still good. went to another 020 just clocked 40 000km and expect to replace these ones by Sept.. Winter's on it's way... Fronts were changed at 12 000km & 27 500 km. I was looking at going back to the mitchies for the smaller chicken strips.. there is something about the shape I think..

Mal

Ps .. how did we get to a tyre discussion from this thread?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top