Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Supersport values 1000DS

Hey guys,

I have a ad on this forum (and local craigslist) for a super nice condition Supersport 1000DS (link below) but have been getting little interest.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/133811-fs-04-ducati-supersport-1000-super-lo-miles-practically-flawless.html

I guess the asking price is too high, what do you guys reckon is a reasonable price for a super nice condition, low mile, unmolested but nicely upgraded bike like this?

I figured this bike should appeal to those that want an ‘original’ bike and those that want something better than stock too, because it is usefully enhanced but with only simple bolt ons (carbon termi’s and a really nice sergeant seat… ) and not torn down/put back together with potentially questionable hot-rodding. It hasn’t been pimped out to suit one-guy’s specific taste either, and all the stock parts are included.

These bikes are super hard to find too - I see NONE on ebay or nationwide on craigslist.. so what's with the lack of interest do you think - is it just that these bikes are really not that popular?

I would guess that with the scarcity of these things, that a super nice, low miles…. one like this should be a prized find and command a decent price, like at least $6 - 6.5k?

Is that unreasonable? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Well, I am not unbiased. I love these things. And, I might pay $6,000 if I was looking. Having said that...I bought my '05 two years ago with approx. 6K mi. on it for $6300 and I thought I had done well.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I wish I could take that off your hands. Too bad there is a lack of funds and space.

As they say over on jalopnik: NP (Nice Price).

Have a good one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I am not unbiased. I love these things. And, I might pay $6,000 if I was looking. Having said that...I bought my '05 two years ago with approx. 6K mi. on it for $6300 and I thought I had done well.
Thx, thats useful reference. Was the one you bought for $6300 still needing it's first major service done, and tires replaced? Because all that could easilly be over $1k to get sorted, which would suggest that $6-6.5k is still reasonable for one thats freshly serviced with brand new tires.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Strange how little theses Ducs go for, if it was a SC it would be in the $10k range, and it's basically the same bike. Even a monster would be more then a SS, I don't get why?????

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Thx, thats useful reference. Was the one you bought for $6300 still needing it's first major service done, and tires replaced? Because all that could easilly be over $1k to get sorted, which would suggest that $6-6.5k is still reasonable for one thats freshly serviced with brand new tires.
I had new belts put on, oil & filter changed and the valves checked. The stock tires lasted 'til about 10K mi. as I recall. There wasn't really anything else to do.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Strange how little theses Ducs go for, if it was a SC it would be in the $10k range, and it's basically the same bike. Even a monster would be more then a SS, I don't get why?????
Except my SS1000DS has Showa forks and Ohlins shock along with it's tubeless wheels/tires and a real, non-expanding tank. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
These are wonderful bikes, and in a fair world, $6 to $6.5K would be a great deal. Problem is with the last gen SS is they are a love it or hate it bike. The TB thing was what it was. I like this gen SS, but look at the used market and what you're competing with. For the asking price you can get a love it or love it 996 in nice (or better) condition. There is nothing you can point to about the SS that would beat a clean 996, except MAYBE maintenance cost. It's not more comfortable, they are both torture racks, not faster, not more sought after. The 996 is the iconic Duc, the SS is the "other" Duc that is kind of hard to place in a category. The riding position and purpose kind of place it in competition with the SBK, but on curb appeal and power, it falls way short. Enough power for the street??? Hell yes! But… For this bike you need the right buyer who is looking for an SS and knows why. I loved my SS, would be happy with another if I was looking for one, but I am not. My current ST4s trashed my 01 900SSie everywhere from power to comfort. If I was after another bike (which I kind of am) it would be a nice 4 to 5K 748 or 5 to 6K 916/996. I think that is what you’re up against. Non Ducati people can’t wrap their minds around why a 1000cc bike isn’t in the 130 – 140 HP range. Ducati folks already know the bike very well and what it’s about . They want one or don’t. Just haven’t found the right buyer yet.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
There is a Senna SS for sale locally (mostly stock with cans) with 6K+ miles for around 6.5K. If that helps any.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my '03 ss1000 last month and spent almost 11800 usd. But here in Sweden bikes do cost alot more then US ones...
In my defence, my bike is in exeptional shape and Very low miled. Bought it direct from the local Ducati-importer
:)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
SS904 has a pretty good take on the situation except for the ST being better than an SS thing. It's really a very personal thing. So, while Dan's ST is great for him, I am totally comfortable on my SS as I was on my 998's. But, I agree that's just me and probably a minority opinion. But, before I get off track....if it were me and I could afford to take some time I'd stick close to my price and wait for the right person to come along.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got my 2005DS 18 months ago from UK, paid 3250.00 GBP from Ducati dealer with new belts, full service, and brand new tyres thrown in? just over 4000 miles from new, looks like it just came out of the factory! not one mark on her, all previous services were by Ducati main dealers too, so good history ;-)

thought that was a good deal? works out 5249.40 USD at todays rate.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
There was an '04 SS1000DS for sale at Libby's Motoworld in New Haven, CT. It was not as nice as the OP's and had 15K mi. or so. It was also yellow. They were asking $4995 and it sat there forever. It's no longer on their site but I don't know if it was sold or wholesaled out to some Ducati dealer. Libby's used to be a Duc dealer but haven't been for a while now.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I missed out on a '05 DS that was sitting at a dealer with 1,500 miles on it. I cannot explain how "showroom" condition this thing was. Still had original tires and everything. Now, you could argue this is just as much of a problem bike and will have it's own set of issues just like a failry used bike, but this thing was immaculate; like to the rediculous level. Bike sat for almost a year before it finally sold for $5,500. I've been shopping and I have yet to find a bike nicer than this one was, but that's obvious as to why; how are you going to beat a 'brand new bike'. For the guys that love the SS, they'll most likely agree...can't believe the market doesn't support what you t.hink it does, but it doesn't. When they pop up, they don't go for what you'd think. But then again, when you're the seller, they never do. Again, like 904 said, when you've got loaded, carboned out XX9 bikes going for $8K, well, it's easy to find another $1K and get 5X the bike over an almost stock SS...you've gotta sit back, be patient, and wait on the right buyer.

Oh...and unless you've just never dealt with buying and selling modified bikes and stuff, the exhaust and any other list of mods you've done to a bike mean little to nothing. Don't believe me? Shop around and look at what these tricked out bikes are going for. There's a rediculous 848 on eBay that's probably worth $35K offers for $14K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.