Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a Sport Classic, but y'all seem to be better informed on engine internals in regards to the 2V motors than the other parts of this site.

I'm collecting parts for a rebuild of my 1000DS with high compression pistons. In researching and collecting the parts for the top-end, I've seen a lot of references to o-rings for oil passage from cylinder to cylinder head.
However, there are no o-rings listed in the Ducati parts diagrams for any 1000DS bike (Superspot, Sport Classic, etc). It looks like there might've been a head gasket revision and the need for o-rings was eliminated, but I'm not sure.

Do y'all have any insight into this? Were the o-rings only necessary in earlier 2V engines, or are they needed for the DS engines as well?

Part number appears to be 463.2.019.6A

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
only the ds style 2v engines (659, 696, 796, 1000, 1100) use a flat top cylinder and head gasket style mating.

all the other 2v motors use a stepped top cylinder without gasket and o-rings for oil feed and return passages.
Hi Brad and all,

I've read that the DS 1000 and 1100 heads are interchangeable, but what about the gaskets, can you use an 1100 head/base gasket kit on a 1000 (992) engine?

I ask as I'm planning a rebuild on my DS 1000 engine and I have access to a 1100 upper gasket kit, I'd prefer to know suitability before I plonk my cash down.

Any direct hands on recommendations, anyone?

Cheers 🏍

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
the 1100 is 98mm bore, the 1000 94mm. so i would expect the 1100 head gasket would have a 98mm hole in it, which would give you a gap between cylinder and head about 2mm deep. might give you detonation issues? or make it hydrocarbony. dunno. i wouldn't do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts