Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Buy it

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No dissenter's, huh? I was hoping someone here would play Devil's advocate and talk me out of it.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ...uh ...yeah. ^^^

So did you buy it yet? :laugh:
You're one sick puppy, Stosh. I've contacted the seller through the through the CL portal asking several specific questions. I'll await their response and, pending the response to each question, I'll arrange a visit. I'd like to remind a few geographically challenged members here that the location is about 80 miles northwest of me in the mountains or about 60 miles southwest of Denver. It's a beautiful area to ride in.....

There, are you bozo's happy?:mad: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the seller's response to my inquiry:

"2003, it’s only got 2192 miles on it so only had 2 oil changes. It is my daughters, she was deployed for a few years and it sat in storage then the Air Force shipped to Colorado and lost the keys, I had new keys made, 2 black 1 red , reprogrammed the ECM and instrument cluster. Also replaced fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter, plugs and air filter. My daughter is the only owner. It is currently inside my shop in. If you would like to see it that can be arranged"

The fuel system work tells me the bike doesn't do well in storage....at least not long term storage.

Seriously folks, I've owned two Duc's and both were water cooled. My only other experience with an air cooled Duc was baby sitting a friend's '95 900SS while he was stationed elsewhere. I seem to recall that his bike was a normally aspirated nightmare that required extensive carb work and human sacrifice every other full moon. That said, I enjoyed riding it. :)

What am I getting myself into??

·
Registered
926 Posts
The fuel system work tells me the bike doesn't do well in storage....at least not long term storage.
I don't know that that is true. I'm not bragging but my '92 carby would sit for a couple years with fuel in the tank. I'd charge the battery and fire it up. After twenty-three years I changed all the hardware in the tank because it seemed prudent, and the carbs because I wanted to. My new FCR carbs were a lot harder to start than the old, never worked on Mikunis. Every old bike is going to need something done to it, but I don't think the fact that those fueling components were changed is bad.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I drove 150 miles to buy, I mean look at, my 1000DS. This one looks better than mine did.

Ad says "OBO..."

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seriously folks, I've owned two Duc's and both were water cooled. My only other experience with an air cooled Duc was baby sitting a friend's '95 900SS while he was stationed elsewhere. I seem to recall that his bike was a normally aspirated nightmare that required extensive carb work and human sacrifice every other full moon. That said, I enjoyed riding it. :)

What am I getting myself into??
Well the 1000DS is fuel injected no no carb work required. I'd buy it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
1000 DS

That was my 900 SS SP you're talking about. That bike was a love/hate relationship. When it ran it was such a blast. When it didn't (more often than not) I wanted to park in in the street and set fire to it. Remember the trip we took up monarch pass? I think it was luck of the draw, and someplace along the line, a neglectful owner. I sent it on to a new owner in Denver. I hope it worked out better for him. But I always thought about another one. Especially every time I read "the sausage monster" by hunter s. Thompson. Then I found a beautiful 2005 ds1000 with 4500 miles for $5500 in silver city New Mexico. It was the last year of the 1000 SS, black frame red body, dry clutch, classic Ducati drivetrain. Perfect. I would've kept that bike forever. Except I succumbed to the siren song of a Bimota db5. So I sold the SS for what I paid.
Buy the one In Bailey for $4k. If you don't somebody else will, then you'll regret it. I think these bikes are destined to be collectible, sooner than later, with a motor and dry clutch you can't buy anymore. You'll never lose money on it.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was my 900 SS SP you're talking about. That bike was a love/hate relationship......
Jack
Hey Jack! I thought that post might drag you into the conversation!!>:)

I'll reach out to the seller's father today to get more background on the bike. In the meantime I also need to figure out a place to put the friggin' thing before I pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Okay so you want me to talk you out of it?

1. designed by Terblanche

2. Tall seat height and not something easily changed.

3. cantilever rear suspension is not as compliant as a linkage type system.

4. Owner obviously left old gas in tank for too long and it went bad and damaged internal tank components.

5. Not a new Supersport.

Okay so here are the counter points

1. I like Terblanche designs , better than today's designs for the most part. 888, supermono, 999, hyper.

2. handles better out of the box than a carby due to this even though the suspension is 90% the same. If you are a tall person you may like the height better.

3. It has the sexiest swingarm on a supersport ever. Springs, tires and straight to the track. Lighter than a linkage type design and if you have smooth roads you probably will not notice.

4. Sounds like all of this has been addressed and it should be no issue, I see this often when bad gas is left for too long and it is usually fix and forget.

5. Not a new supersport, plenty of power,lighter by a bunch less parts to have issues with and cheaper services.

I would go look at it as the tank issues should not be a concern, the belts need changing and make sure the oil is fresh. And change those tires!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I just bought a 1999 900 SS that sat for the last 8 years.

I changed the oil, did a valve and belt service, changed the tires.
The thing runs great, and I haven't taken it in to have the shop check Throttle body balance and TPS setting yet. I can't imagine it running any better, but it might yet.

And the one you're looking at has a new fuel system.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought the Terblanche design was awful when they came out- The carbed SS is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made second to the 916 IMHO. I'm on my 4th and currently have 2 of them. However- I think Terblanche may have been ahead of his time design wise as the DS looks better and better to me as time goes on- I see the DNA of the SS in it unlike the new ones. - and I often long for fuel injection..

I would snatch it up and give it a good home- They respond well to love and attention and will get frisky if you want them to. I'm one of those weirdos that feel like these bikes have souls and all the ones I've owned have had different personalities-

pull the trigger..

#savethesupersports

1 - 20 of 93 Posts