Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, been having a look thru the search here.

Am thinking of getting a PC for my 1000SS DS 04.
Hav'ent had any luck in my country trying to sort, and when looked up some links off the search and even the PC site, I can't seem to find any to suit my bike.
Plenty to suit Monsters etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a place to get one?

Have tried Ebay and theres lots there, but can't find one specifically for my bike model????

Cheers

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
buy the tuneboy from australia, check their side, the moto guzzi version
is what you need.

check the search for tuneboy too, member punch has posted quite some
valuable info about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
buy the tuneboy from australia, check their side, the moto guzzi version
is what you need.

check the search for tuneboy too, member punch has posted quite some
valuable info about it.
Tuneboy?
Interesting. Been told here that they dont suit my bike.
I have the Tuneboys on my Triumphs, and would really prefer them, as they have made the world of diff to my Trumpies.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Tuneboy - Marelli 5.9

Tuneboy is available for the Marelli 15M.

I understand they are working on other Marelli ECUs and I have told Mulcahey I will see what I can find out by phoning TB.

Richard

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Tuneboy and Power Commander III

Check this link http://tuneboy.com.au/Compare/Compare.html

Browse around the site for more info.

NOTE - not all the TB features listed apply to the 15M version, due to the 15M, not the software, but all your mapping functions are there.

Nice thing is that it uses your ECU, not add on bits etc. You can also go back to the stock map with ease.

No I don't work for them! I just think it is brilliant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help Punch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As per the original poster I have been unable to work out which PC suits the 1000SS. Can anyone shed some light on this please. My local dyno guy wants $495AUD for one and i note that with the exchange rate as it is i can bring one in form the US for around $300AUD.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
As per the original poster I have been unable to work out which PC suits the 1000SS. Can anyone shed some light on this please. My local dyno guy wants $495AUD for one and i note that with the exchange rate as it is i can bring one in form the US for around $300AUD.
I still suggest you contact Tuneboy (via email is best)

My hobby horse - Prices in Oz !!!!! Our problem is smallish market, freight, import duties, profit margins, sole importers/no competition, etc. etc.

I buy from the US usually as even with relatively expensive freight it is cheaper.

Example - the chain I wanted in Oz was AUD 305. Same chain plus Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket and front steel sprocket for only AUD 11 more and that included about AUD 60 freight from the US and amazing delivery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks punch,

I used tuneboy on my triumph 955i and was tempted at first to go the same on the SS, my local dyno guy has since used tune boy on others bikes. His comment to me yesterday (fact or fiction??) is it takes him around 4hrs to tune a map for each cylinder on PC and +2hrs on tune boy (all in all adding upto an extra $400 on the exercise). He still recommends tune boy for bikes with o2 sensors as tune boy can turn that funcion off in the ecu. With modern pressure sensors PC tuned bike don't suffer the altitude sickness anymore.

Your comments please.

The more i think (which usually is a bad thing), mmmm tuneboy. At home diagnistics is a plus. I take it the Motoguzzi M15 is still the correct tune boy pack to purchase?? Which number (vin or other) do you give them to unlock the ecu??

Thanks in advance Punch.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Thanks punch,

I used tuneboy on my triumph 955i and was tempted at first to go the same on the SS, my local dyno guy has since used tune boy on others bikes. His comment to me yesterday (fact or fiction??) is it takes him around 4hrs to tune a map for each cylinder on PC and +2hrs on tune boy (all in all adding upto an extra $400 on the exercise).
I was very lucky as Wayne (Tuneboy) did mine as one of the first Ducs. Obviously he is experienced and took around an hour all up. Others may take longer, but Tuneboy will probably have a starting map for whatever mods you have done to your bike. The other thing is that your first map is the map programmed into the ECU. You just save this as "original" or whatever, then start playing and saving each mod/version as you go. This way you can revert to a saved map(tune) that worked OK.

He still recommends tune boy for bikes with o2 sensors as tune boy can turn that funcion off in the ecu. With modern pressure sensors PC tuned bike don't suffer the altitude sickness anymore.
These sensors are quite different things. An O2 sensor measures the gases in the exhaust pipe to determine air fuel ratio (AFR). I know the 900/750SSie does not have one fitted. Dunno if the 800/1000 does - at a guess I doubt it. Bikes (any brand) with them feed back the O2 sensor output to the ECU to adjust the injector duration, after comparing the measured AFR to the target preset in the ECU map, to try get the O2 reading to match the target AFR.

Other sensors, including air pressure, engine temperature and air temperature .....

I guess most ECUs will be the same, but this is a simple version of how the Marelli 15M works. The ECU has a base map at a fixed air temp, fixed engine temp and air pressure. This base map is Is like a piece of graph paper that has the vertical axis as throttle position and the horizontal axis as rpm. There are a few different "sheets of graph paper" for various things the ECU controls. E.g. #1 injector duration (how much fuel is squirted in) at each "square" in the graph paper. E.g. #2 ignition timing. E.g. #3 acceleration map.

Just considering the injection map, there is the base map at fixed air and engine temps, plus fixed air pressure. When air temp goes up, air expands, so there is less oxygen, so the air temperature sensor tells the ECU what the temp is and the ECU decreases the injector duration to keep AFR at the desired level. Opposite for lower temperature - mmmmm bikes run better in cool weather - more oxygen and more fuel.
Air pressure - as the pressure goes up, air is compressed more, so more oxygen - the ECU adds more fuel. Opposite for lower pressure.

Just like humans - higher height above sea level = less pressure = less oxygen, so we don't perform as well.

The more i think (which usually is a bad thing), mmmm tuneboy. At home diagnistics is a plus. I take it the Motoguzzi M15 is still the correct tune boy pack to purchase?? Which number (vin or other) do you give them to unlock the ecu??
The Guzzi 15M is correct for the 750/900SSie. The 800/1000 has a different ECU, so contact Tuneboy by email. The 15M with respect to Tuneboy is dumb/simple - no serial number or VIN. I can't remember now, but there was nothing complicated. I think I just logged into the web site from the software register it.

I have not used PC at all, but presume both PC and TB and probably others can be programmed by feel (butt dyno). I know mine is very fluffy around 2800 rpm after a pipe mod and will experiment to get rid of that, rather than dyno time.

Also, I have an innovate Motorsoprts LC-1 wideband O2 sensor that I can lend to you if you want to play yourself. All you need to do is buy and get welded into one of your pipes the bung for the sensor. PM if you want to.

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts