Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you here might of read on a previous post of mine that I had catastrophic transmission failure in my '07 GT1000 @ around 46,500 miles. The top end is in great shape. I've had the bike for about 3.5 years and never had a loss of power or had any problems usually associated with high mileage wear. Needless to say, I had some bad luck and the transmission is toast.

So, I'm mulling over whether to replace the entire engine, or cracking the case and replacing the gearbox. I'm open to opinions on that particular decision of course, but what I'm really after is a source of information about the compatibility between the various 1000 DS model years, as well as similar motors.

My questions: if I were to replace the gearbox alone, are all the innards of years of the 1000 DS motor compatible with each other? For instance, if I were to get the gearbox from an '05 Multistrada, would it fit in my '07 case? Are all DS motors compatible with the GT frame and layout? Additionally, would the '07 Multistrada 1100S motor fit in the GT? Because that might be cool.

Shopping around gave me a lot of questions. Your answers are appreciated. Thanks!

-TR

BTW, I'm putting an image of her before the dismantlement just for show.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
1000ss motor yes
multistrada no
monster 1000 yes
look at the swingarm pivots and compare.

gearboxes you will want to compare wet clutch model parts unless you plan to make yours a dry clutch.

A 1100 hyper in the shop just got a rebuild after its ebay motor ate the crankshaft. This is the problem with salvage motors you never know how it spent the last minutes before the motor was shut off. Some times we have to roll the dice but there is no guaranty that a "fresh" motor wont spin a rod bearing a year down the road. If you rebuild yours you should have a motor that you know what was done as well as what was not done. Yes it may cost more up front but knowing you have a solid and fresh lower end is worth it.

I would start by stripping yours down and figuring what went wrong. then come up with a game plan/parts list to compare costs to replace or rebuild. If it is close it is a no brainer just be sure to compare things fairly so no comparing to the cheapest motor just a good one. Plus if you want to play yes you can make it a dry clutch 1100 along the way if you like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1000ss motor yes
multistrada no
monster 1000 yes
look at the swingarm pivots and compare.

gearboxes you will want to compare wet clutch model parts unless you plan to make yours a dry clutch.

A 1100 hyper in the shop just got a rebuild after its ebay motor ate the crankshaft. This is the problem with salvage motors you never know how it spent the last minutes before the motor was shut off. Some times we have to roll the dice but there is no guaranty that a "fresh" motor wont spin a rod bearing a year down the road. If you rebuild yours you should have a motor that you know what was done as well as what was not done. Yes it may cost more up front but knowing you have a solid and fresh lower end is worth it.

I would start by stripping yours down and figuring what went wrong. then come up with a game plan/parts list to compare costs to replace or rebuild. If it is close it is a no brainer just be sure to compare things fairly so no comparing to the cheapest motor just a good one. Plus if you want to play yes you can make it a dry clutch 1100 along the way if you like.
Thanks again for your help, Ducvet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts