Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've done a handful of searches on this subject but haven't quite found the answer to a question I have, so please bear with me. I recently bought an 848 and would like to begin tracking it. I want to get a 1 piece suit for these occasions. I have a Dainese jacket and a pair of leather pants, not a set but they can be used as such (they do zip together). I'm 6'2", and weigh about 170. I recently tried on a Dainese Laguna Seca perforated 1 piece, size 56 (Euro) and it fit well in the shoulders and length wise but was very baggy around my waist. The 54 was just too short (but similarly baggy).

I'm assuming that the suit shouldn't be all THAT baggy (it felt like there was probably a 4 inch gap between the back of the suit and my back). For any of the tall skinny guys out there, what are you wearing? I know I could go custom but there are some good deals on some good looking 1 piece suits out there for less money.

Appreciate any advice!

·
9,757 Posts
I've got the kind of body where I have to get everything custom tailored. I've got a big upper body (max bench=315lbs x 3 reps) and a thin waist (32").

I used to have a Dainese Laguna Seca in size 56 which fit across the chest but was baggy in the midsection and around the legs. I altered it but it still wasn't 100%, so I ended up selling it and going with a custom fit, custom designed suit by Pilot. Quality is on par with the Dainese suit, but lacks some neat features like 3D liner and titanium shoulder sliders, but otherwise it's a superb suit that I'd recommend to anyone. Only cost a grand too!

Check it:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
syed leather
custom and bombproof construction
start at $950

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Off the rack leathers are designed for the average shape and physic. If you are significantly different you should just pop for custom made, the price difference iswell worth it. This will also provide incentive to maintain your shape and size if you get leathers that are high quality and age well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think Pilot brand is what Doug Polen is using now and he loves em. Kind of know Doug and he really likes his new suits. Claims they are custom fit for well under a grand. Not sure where they are located. Got a feeling they may be Cali based but not sure. Just saw an ad in RoadRacer X back few pages.

Good Luck,

mark

·
9,757 Posts
I think Pilot brand is what Doug Polen is using now and he loves em. Kind of know Doug and he really likes his new suits. Claims they are custom fit for well under a grand. Not sure where they are located. Got a feeling they may be Cali based but not sure. Just saw an ad in RoadRacer X back few pages.

Good Luck,

mark
Yeah lotsa guys are using Pilot suits now.

They're based in California. IIRC they started out a while back making OEM gear for manufacturers like Suzuki and they recently decided to go out on their own.

I personally love my pilot suit. I haven't crash tested it (knock on wood) but others have crashed in theirs and they've held up superbly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
12,709 Posts
You might check with Helimot and see if he has anything used or what he would do for something custom: http://www.helimot.com/

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I'm 5'10", 135
40 chest, 28 waist, 32 inseam
I bought the Frank Thomas Velocita suit and was amazed at how well it fit. The Dainese were huge around my waist. The Frank Thomas was perfect in the shoulders, perfect in the mid and waste, and just slightly loose in the legs (which is totally expected cause i have thin legs). Best part: it was $299.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My friend just thrashed Syed suit in relatively low speed track crash. We were both shocked that it came apart like that (at the knee) He is 6'4", 180 lbs so we always assumed he has to go custom. Someone suggested RS Taichi suit, they come in slim fit. He just received one, loves it so far. The fit is perfect for off the rack suit, and the quality is great (made in Japan I believe)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Helimot in San Jose if you want the best custom suit money can buy. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Whatever you do, if you want a great fitting suit, don't do it over the phone or mail. Get fitted in person, pick it up in person, and make sure they get it right.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Matt P, i'm in your boat...same height, same weight...can't lift quite that much lol but I do have very broad shoulders. Everything I get that's ready made is always huge in the waist in order to fit my inseam and shoulders. Thinking of going with a Vanson custom one piece...but gotta save up the dough for that lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even more of a bean pole than you, 6'2" at 150. Got a RS Taichi one piece from Moto Liberty marked 3Ls on size tag. Just slightly snug accross the shoulders but should loosen up a tad, there is no bagginous factor anywhere. While this size is considered a rack size for Taichi I doubt you will find any hanging around. Took 4-5 weeks to get them in if I remember correctly. They are comfortable and seem to be screwed, well, sewn together well enough. dww

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I tried on about every off the rack suit made. Finally went with RS TAICHI. They have so many variations it is amazing. Mine fits like a second skin. Not cheap, but I understand they hold up as well or better than any suit made. I'm 5'8" 175 lbs, 43 chest 32 waist 16 inch arms and calves. I ended up getting the stoutest 42 chest they make. Arm and leg lengths are perfect. Also they use actual stretch kevlar, most manufactures don't.

Point is Shop around. I got fitted by the RSTaichi factory rep at the INDY GP in 2008. Extremely knowlegably guy. Now I know if I need a replacement I can order a new one quickly. I have a custom Vanson, heavy, expensive, took forever to get, but fits great. Remeber always take your back protector with you when you try on suits. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Look at Komodo leathers for custom cut. Wayne and his guys are awesome, and do huge race support in CMRA, WERA, and CCS. At 6-6 and 210, I had to go custom, and not only does my suit fit great, it has crashed well too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts