Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to get started on the full service on my 2015 Diavel Carbon. Been putting it off for a while but, now that I have the SP back up and running, I decided to clean up the garage and tear in to the Diavel. I'm not in a big rush - just gonna take my time and do what I can when I get time.....

At least I found out where they hid all of the gizmos and electronic wizardry on my "naked" bike - it's all stuck to the airbox :laugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It smells like Pinesol and gasoline after removing the fuel tank :D

The Diavel is a great bike - total riot to ride and it's proven to be quite a reliable machine as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice bike. But geez there's alot of parts, covers, screws to get it stripped down for a service, you still have to pull the exhaust to get to the timing belt covers.
Not sure if its in the service you're doing but I'd replace the sparkplugs while I'm in there, getting to the rear plug requires the same strip down.

After working on the diavel I'm so much appreciating working on my old 900ss/cr. Why can't they make newer bikes easier to work on?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally agree - it’s freakin’ nuts how much stuff you have to remove just to get to the belts. I have new plugs on the way. I’m planning on doing the belts, valves, plugs, coolant, and rear hub while I’m at it....just gonna take my sweet time 🙂

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I think it's probably worth paying the $2,000 to have the belts & valves done lol.

You have to disassemble pretty much the entire motorcycle just to reach the freakin' hose clamp on the horizontal cylinder throttle body....and removing the exhaust is quite a little project in it's own right. Good thing I have another scooter to play with cuz at this pace it'll take me all summer :laugh:

New seat arrived - nice quality piece

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI - you don't need a specific "Ducati" tool to remove the spark plug boots, as I've heard multiple times. An ordinary $12 5/8" boot puller works just fine

You have to grab the top of the boot with your fingers and pull it up just enough to get the wrench around it but, once you get it around the boot, put constant pressure on it and pull slowly - otherwise you'll rip the thing in half. They are stuck pretty good in there

Should you damage it, a new one is $48 + shipping (Vertical Head Part #67110621B/Horizontal Head Part #67110641B)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like you've got a plan, but I gotta tell ya just looking at what you have undertaken is making my ulcers flair up!! Perhaps I should simply start saving my pennies now for any future services? :surprise: Nice pictures by the way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'm no expert on motorcycles but, I have been doing electromechanical work for a living for more than 20 years so, with a little help from those more knowledgeable, I feel pretty confident I can get through pretty much any job.

The bike next to it looked like this a few months ago :grin2: There are lots of knowledgable and experienced mechanics on this forum - they helped me out quite a bit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
you'll manage just fine i think.

Although i will say the Diavel is a fucking pig to work on compared to a 1098 bike....

Whoever designed the thing was a sadomasochistic bastard!

Does your new Sargent seat have that cool cylindrical container underneath like some others i've seen them do?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt - a motor swap on the 1198 is a breeze compared to all the shit that has to be removed just to get the airbox off of the Diavel. No worries, I'm just working on it as time permits...

Never seen that cylindrical container you're talking about but it definitely looks like it's made to fit one

·
Registered
444 Posts
FYI - you don't need a specific "Ducati" tool to remove the spark plug boots, as I've heard multiple times. An ordinary $12 5/8" boot puller works just fine

You have to grab the top of the boot with your fingers and pull it up just enough to get the wrench around it but, once you get it around the boot, put constant pressure on it and pull slowly - otherwise you'll rip the thing in half. They are stuck pretty good in there

Should you damage it, a new one is $48 + shipping (Vertical Head Part #67110621B/Horizontal Head Part #67110641B)

Holy hell! I never knew such a tool existed. I really could've used one when I did the 30k service on my MTS. Those things are a royal PITA by hand. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hopefully, I'll get some time in the next few days to take off the airbox and the radiators so I can start checking the valve clearances. I'm still waiting on the plugs anyway...

New belts arrived - updated Part #73740252A

·
Registered
381 Posts
No doubt - a motor swap on the 1198 is a breeze compared to all the shit that has to be removed just to get the airbox off of the Diavel. No worries, I'm just working on it as time permits...

Never seen that cylindrical container you're talking about but it definitely looks like it's made to fit one

this is what it looks like.

Love those pliers!

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a busy day with stuff to do around the house but, I did find some time to remove the belt side radiator and belt covers.

Belts are in excellent shape even after 18,000 miles - look practically brand new

Tension is a bit low though

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn, getting the airbox off this thing takes a bit of patience, a few beers, and a couple of shoe horns :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts