Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil at 26,000 miles. The shavings on the magnet, I know, are normal. I did a quick search here and some reading but didn't see anything quite like this. Presently, I'm not too concerned but you know what they say . . . ignorance is bliss.

So I thought I'd post a pic for your viewing pleasure.

I should have pulled the screen too, but didn't because I don't have a large enough allen wrench and I need to make a 360 mile loop today. Now what pisses me off is that I'm going to be thinking about this the whole time I'm riding.

Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
That larger piece is ferrous, so it is probably just swarf from the transmission, or a deformed piece of closer half ring that was dropped. Not sure. If there were more of them and they were stuck to the sump screen (nonferrous), I'd be concerned about the oil galley plug backing out. If it really concerns you, dump the oil when you get back and check the sump screen. If you're careful about using a clean bucket and making sure no dirt or road crud gets in the oil from the header pipe or bottom of the engine, you can just put the same oil back in. Maybe filter it if you dump it with some screen or cheese cloth to see if you catch anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
That is a good sized piece so I would say something is failing. Likely suspects are springs or bearings. That is not transmission as it is the wrong size/shape.

On your ride I would pay attention to...
Vibrations - could be main bearing flaking
shifting - broken spring from shift arm
noises - bearing with piston hitting head
Starting - starter clutch failure will kick back more and break starter clutch cage.

It is a good idea to put a bit more time on it and pull the oil and magnet again, pay attention to the above things and if something is not right stop riding until you find the cause so you do not create more broken parts.

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I flogged it pretty hard for about 80 miles of my favorite twisty turny hilly hyway 94, the merged onto 8 east to Yuma. She purrs with perfection and I'm again in awe at this wonderful motor and bike. Returned yesterday morning. The 8 can be very long and very straight when you're east of the pass.
On the return I ran through 98% of the miles at over 6000rpm in top gear. That's hauling ass. And once again, the girl jumped from my normal 37 mpg to 45mpg. She just loves to run.

I head out to Idaho/Montana/Oregon on Weds morning. I'm going to try to drop the oil into a clean container through a paint strainer and then pull the screen. That's a good suggestion about saving the oil. Hate to think about tossing 4 quarts of New Mobile 1. $$$.

If I accomplish that, I'll post pics here as a follow up. Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a good sized piece so I would say something is failing. Likely suspects are springs or bearings. That is not transmission as it is the wrong size/shape.

On your ride I would pay attention to...
Vibrations - could be main bearing flaking
shifting - broken spring from shift arm
noises - bearing with piston hitting head
Starting - starter clutch failure will kick back more and break starter clutch cage.

It is a good idea to put a bit more time on it and pull the oil and magnet again, pay attention to the above things and if something is not right stop riding until you find the cause so you do not create more broken parts.
Great advice you shared

1 - 7 of 7 Posts