Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't do much WOT riding, there's lots of windy mountain roads around where I live and I seem to live in the 5-8k range most of the time. Last summer I did a trip with some friends that included some superslabbing. Boredom gets the best of you and before you know it you're racing your buddy down a long flat stretch doing 200 km/hr plus. Oops. I noticed on that trip that the bike would hit a certain RPM, somewhere north of 9,000, and just hit the wall and die. Engine falts bigtime, zero power. Kick it up a gear and the power is back on, but same RPMs it hits the wall again. I thought maybe it might be a fuel filter issue, I had just done the 24K service and, uh, skipped the fuel filter. This spring I replaced it, but the same symptoms persist. Any suggestions as to likely culprits? Coil(s)? Ignition modules?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rev limiter. Doesn’t it kick in around 9000RPM on 2V? It’s always a shock when it kicks in0:)

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
lol... you are not the first to find the limiter. I had a customer buy a multistrada 1000 and after the tune called to say the bike was still cutting out at high rpm.... Wait still? He never mentioned it had a issue until after the tune, might have been helpful.

When he filled in the details of runs great until "X" rpm and does the same thing every time in every gear/speed at the same rpm we quickly asked ... at what RPM? Sure enough he was simply hitting the rev limiter.

Know that long stroke motors often have lower limiters than short stroke motors to keep piston speeds safe. Ducati could have done the owners a service by marking the gauges with where the rev limiter is but probably would have had some think it was a reason to run the bike that high all the time and shorter life might have been the result.

I would check some images of stock motored multistradas and pay attention to the RPM that they run to and make peak power. Also be aware I find tachometers to be off all the time so where you think you are at 8500 may actually be 9000.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
lol... you are not the first to find the limiter. I had a customer buy a multistrada 1000 and after the tune called to say the bike was still cutting out at high rpm.... Wait still? He never mentioned it had a issue until after the tune, might have been helpful.

When he filled in the details of runs great until "X" rpm and does the same thing every time in every gear/speed at the same rpm we quickly asked ... at what RPM? Sure enough he was simply hitting the rev limiter.

Know that long stroke motors often have lower limiters than short stroke motors to keep piston speeds safe. Ducati could have done the owners a service by marking the gauges with where the rev limiter is but probably would have had some think it was a reason to run the bike that high all the time and shorter life might have been the result.

I would check some images of stock motored multistradas and pay attention to the RPM that they run to and make peak power. Also be aware I find tachometers to be off all the time so where you think you are at 8500 may actually be 9000.
Most, if not all, of the bikes I've owned previously have shown redline on the tachometer, but the multi doesn't. The guage is labelled up to 11K or 12K. If it's the rev limiter it's just like hitting a brick wall, not what I was expecting but maybe that's normal. My old 900SS redlined at 9000 (but had no limiter), just based on that I would have assumed Ducati had made some progress in the intervening years to push it above 10,000 but I guess the physics of the pistons hasn't changed. what was surprising was that it was still pulling HARD, like the rev limit is still in the power band bigtime. I did find a dyno chart for the 1000DS showing peak torque of 92 Nm (at 5000 rpms) but it's still 80 Nm at rev limit.

thanks for the insight, I will sleep better knowing it's not a problem, and will just shift sooner. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts