Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these bikes has more power? and Not just Ducati claimed horsepower, has anyone ridden both? I love the looks of the 999, but don't want to get smoked by girls on 848's on the highway. I'm not tracking the bike just street and highway

·
Registered
545 Posts
Your joking right ?

Do you really care if an 848 rips by you on the freeway ??? If a guy is on that 848 is that going to make it okay ? If you are on your 999 and a girl on a 1098rips by you is that okay ? How about some 16 year old on a gixxer one thousand....what happens if he goes past you is that okay ?

No matter what bike you buy or ride all of these things ARE going to happen to you...wether you know it or not.....or wether you like it or not.

Buy the bike the YOU think is cool and be happey with it dude...!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ridden them both. The 999S is going to be faster. Can't say about a plain 999 but think the answer would also be yes. I found the 848 underwhelming in the power dept. Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dave, straight answers are good, I don't need anybody telling me how to feel, we are here to talk bikes not feelings

·
Registered
545 Posts
All about the feelings

I did not mean to offend but IMO buying a Ducati is ALL about feeling !!!

If we all were dead set on buying bike purely on technical data like comfort, power, rideability, cost, reliability, maintenance cost, insurance cost, noise levels...etc...etc...etc...!!! Very few of us would be riding a Ducati...

its not the fact that they are hot, loud, uncomfortable, expensive and sometimes a little unreliable that we buy them....we buy them for the FEELING they give us when we are on them...!

My point was not to worry about the bike that is beside you on the road...but to buy the bike that you are going to enjoy the feeling of riding !!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i asked the same question to a friend who has a 04 999 and his wife has a 848.his comment was the 9 felt stronger by a large margin.his does have a termi full system,and the 848 is stock

·
Registered
923 Posts
Which of these bikes has more power? and Not just Ducati claimed horsepower, has anyone ridden both? I love the looks of the 999, but don't want to get smoked by girls on 848's on the highway. I'm not tracking the bike just street and highway

HAHAHA, another flatland prairie rider question...buy a Busa then. Guys always ask me how fast it is...Fast enough but it does what a motorcycle should do and that is be fantastic in the corners...but i do have to truck it all the way to South Dakota or B.C. to actually use all the good handling abilities.

(i am from Regina BTW.)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have an '03 999, and a buddy of mine has an 848. I was painfully curious (as was he), so we switched rides for about an hour or so one day.

IMO, the 848 makes plenty of power, but not as much as the 999. My bike seems to pull harder on acceleration. His bike was in desperate need of an exhaust...I am so used to hearing my motor beneath me, that riding that muffled, wet clutch 848 seemed almost sterile! One thing that also was immediately apparent was how much lighter the 848 is. I would love be able to salvage a crashed one and keep it for a track toy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=44663

General consensus in the above link seems to be that there are minor differences...999 feels slightly more torquey, and not as cramped for larger riders...but the 848 feels just about as fast and being lighter is a better track machine. Comes down to what YOU are comfortable on and what YOU like. Hell I bought an 848 when ALL my riding buddies are die hard Jap bike riders (Suzukis and Yamahas). All told me I was buying an overpriced underpowered POS. Guess whose 600s can't keep up with me and who gets all the compliments and double takes on their bike everywhere we go now? You guessed it :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying.....just buy what YOU like. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Like the philosopher Charles Barkley once said "people are stupid, so why should I care what they think?".

As far as the anti-Ducati dipshits go.....I think its funny that after they make jokes about and criticize your bike, they turn around and ask if they can ride it!

·
Registered
923 Posts
wheelies, who the fuck cares. go buy a zx14. The bikes are incredible in every aspect of sport riding and you care about straight line speed and wheelies??? how old are you 16?

fuck this is why i hate the bike scene in central canada cause we have people who ride sport bikes with zero corning ability. It's just all about how fast it goes on a straight highway. Grab a handful of throttle and your the man...that and being a mad StUhNtA

i can hardly muster enough interest in some people that ride sportbikes around here to even watch WSBK or MotoGP around here. yeesh.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a 2003 999 for two years. It had the full Termi system w/ DP ECU. I've got a '09 848 now. The 999 has more power and most noticeably more torque but it's heavier and harder to ride than the 848. It's kind of 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. The 999 needs more open roads and it you've got lots of them around you then it might be the better machine. The only time I miss the 999 is the straight up throttle on run. Other than that I much prefer the 848, for which I sold an '08 Gixxer 750 in order to get the Duc. If you like pure animal, stand the hair up on your neck, grunt then get the 999 / 1098 / 1198. It's a question that I ask myself each time I go out for a ride but I come back with a smile everytime. It used to be frustrating to ride the 999, feeling that you had to keep holding it back.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
It used to be frustrating to ride the 999, feeling that you had to keep holding it back.
OK finally, something I can identify with. Every time I ride the 999 I come home frustrated because I feel it was laughing at me the entire ride saying "wimp". I go through sweeper that feel very exciting at 100 on the Monster and ST and the the damn 999 goes "wimp".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts