Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the original Ducati specs. I read changes to the EVO included a larger oil cooler. Can anyone confirm this to be true? Has anyone fitted an OEM oil cooler from an EVO to their 08-09?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was reading through the original Ducati specs. I read changes to the EVO included a larger oil cooler. Can anyone confirm this to be true? Has anyone fitted an OEM oil cooler from an EVO to their 08-09?

Thanks in advance.
I can confirm this is correct, the evos have another heat exchange row, but cant say for sure if it will fit at 08-09. I would be willing to bet it will....

Reactions: jmbkc

·
Registered
663 Posts
The EVO has a larger air cooler.

I've considered getting one, but then I read somewhere (on this forum, maybe?) that it's not a straight swap - something to do with the oil temp sensor mounted on the cooler in the early models which isn't on the EVO cooler.

Anyway, it's so rare for a clean EVO cooler to pop up and they're not particularly cheap when they do, especially once you include the longer oil lines and brackets/spacers to fit it. For not much more I figure I may as well get an NCR or SC Project cooler if temps ever become a real problem (which they haven't for me yet).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about picking up a second 08-09 oil cooler and fabbing a bracket to hang it either in front of or below the factory one. They are readily available on eBay. Not sure if anyone has tried that? Don't see why it wouldn't work honestly. Doubling the cooling surface. As well, the factory oil lines would all bolt up. Might be a challenge to connect the coolers together, but maybe not depending on how the connector line was routed. Anyway, just an idea.

·
Registered
663 Posts
@jmbkc there's no reason that wouldn't work, people have been running stacked oil coolers on air-cooled Ducatis forever. Some models already run the stock cooler below the front cylinder, so there's probably some ideas out there for mounting options. You'd probably want the second cooler below the stock one so both get decent airflow.

This is a Monster with a Fram secondary cooler, but there's no reason you couldn't fabricate a similar setup with a stock cooler:

My biggest concern would be making sure the second cooler doesn't foul the front tyre when the forks are compressed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: the pic above; I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that looks hideous.

I can appreciate the theory but the execution is horrifically unsightly.

I've seen my temps climb pretty high (near 290's and believe I've seen one day over 300) on hotter days (90+ degree weather) while romping hard in the twisties - sustained hard riding over 30-45 minutes versus laps on track days and I'm still running the stock cooler on my '09 S model.

If I raced or ran frequent track days, I'd consider a larger/aftermarket set up but I can't say I'd take the path of a dual like the one shown above.

By the time you get all the additional plumbing and mounting hardware sorted, you're well in to the cost of an aftermarket option with marginally better cooling.

YMMV and you may have deep pockets and race every week or maybe you're planning for a Death Valley trip on your hyper at which point I say, go for it!

happy riding!

Blu'

·
Registered
663 Posts
Re: the pic above; I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that looks hideous.
Nope, you're not alone.

Unfortunately, the Great Photobucket Purge of 2017 has greatly limited the options for images to link.

Looking at the pic though, it's clear there's a compromise with dual-cooler setups: (a) mount the second cooler directly under the stock one for better aesthetics at the risk of fouling the wheel, or (b) or mount it down low in front of the header where it clears everything but is a crime against good taste.

Personally, I'd go with a bigger single cooler. I remember reading somewhere the EVO cooler has 85% more cooling area than the non-EVO. Assuming the aftermarket options are similar, I'd question whether the dual-cooler option is worth the aesthetic cost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've yet to run into a cooling problem, tons of 90+*F SoCal canyon days with 30-45 minute sessions at 6-9k RPM, and never see more than 3 bars on the temp indicator.

After another year or so, when the fins on my stock unit are even more thrashed I'm going for one of these. Only $30 more than the OE EVO cooler.

I assume the same company makes these for NCR, SC Project, and H20 Performance. The H20 branded one seems to be the lowest price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Racing-Radiator-H2O-Performance-Ducati-Hypermotard/111493547376?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

OE
https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/54840931a

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,255 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I own two air cooled Ducs and have replaced the oil cooler on both:
1) On my 08 hyper I installed an SC Project oil cooler.
2) On my GT1000 I installed an EVO oil cooler.
(You can see both bikes if you click the links on my signature).

I placed bigger oil coolers on both to reduce engine temperature in traffic which is the only critical situation IMHO. You will have no overheating problems if you ride at canyons, highway or track speeds.

I shared some data after installing SC-project's on my hyper:
Stock vs SC-Project Oil cooler Pics and Hard Data

I did notice a change in engine temperature after replacing the oil coolers. But to be honest, I noticed a bigger temperature drop after changing the ECU-Exhaust-Intake combo. The stock ECU mapping makes any Duc run lean and hot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own two air cooled Ducs and have replaced the oil cooler on both:
1) On my 08 hyper I installed an SC Project oil cooler.
2) On my GT1000 I installed an EVO oil cooler.
(You can see both bikes if you click the links on my signature).

I placed bigger oil coolers on both to reduce engine temperature in traffic which is the only critical situation IMHO. You will have no overheating problems if you ride at canyons, highway or track speeds.

I shared some data after installing SC-project's on my hyper:
Stock vs SC-Project Oil cooler Pics and Hard Data

I did notice a change in engine temperature after replacing the oil coolers. But to be honest, I noticed a bigger temperature drop after changing the ECU-Exhaust-Intake combo. The stock ECU mapping makes any Duc run lean and hot.
Nice test, always great to see some empirical data.

I may have missed it but did you take your temp readings with a thermocouple on one of the end tanks of the cooler? Or does the original dash on the hyper actually show an oil temp and not just bars like the EVO dash?

Would be interesting to saturate the cooler with some high rpm running for ~15-30 minutes and then take temp readings on the the drop in temp while cruising for ~5-10 minutes at ~30mph or some low speed. This will show the true efficiency differences between each setup.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,255 Posts
Nice test, always great to see some empirical data.

I may have missed it but did you take your temp readings with a thermocouple on one of the end tanks of the cooler? Or does the original dash on the hyper actually show an oil temp and not just bars like the EVO dash?

Would be interesting to saturate the cooler with some high rpm running for ~15-30 minutes and then take temp readings on the the drop in temp while cruising for ~5-10 minutes at ~30mph or some low speed. This will show the true efficiency differences between each setup.
I registered the numbers displayed on the dash. The 08 model displays actual temperature data and not bars.

I agree with you on the value of higher rev numbers.
I hope someone else swapping coolers in the future has more patience than me to experiment. I was just too eager to hit the road with my new cooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts