Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2008 1098 is in need of a new sprag clutch for the starter, and possibly a starter motor. It turns over so slowly, I'm afraid the previous owner burnt out the starter while trying so often to start it with a failed sprag.

My question is, does anyone have the correct part numbers for the sprag clutch, the ring that's on the sprag outside, and the starting gear that rests on the sprag inside? I've read that there are different sizes and replacements from Ducati for certain part numbers, but can't get a positive note on which are the actual ones needed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Or take out the spring, unwind it from itself, cut back the "square end" a little, and put it back together? People have been doing that for 25 years as a first try before forking over $$$ for new parts. Most folks I've heard of, it solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
any of the online sites should give you current #.

i've done the spring thing twice, got a few days out of it each time. if it's fucked, it's fucked.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not knowing exactly if the newer 1098 starter sprag is very different than earlier 916-996-998 series bikes, the #CR19778 oil seal spring is an exact fit replacement spring for $10 or less. Solder the ends together before installing for extra security.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the online sites I've looked at provide the part numbers, but each site provides a different part number for each component... Yeah I don't mind spending the money to replace it all properly since I'm opening it up, I just want to get the right parts.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
if you order any part from a 1098 catalogue you should either get the part ordered or the current supercession of the part you ordered. the one i linked is a dealer with current part #.

70140351A
160Z0011A
173Z0021A
75010121D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts