Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the suspension settings from Sport Rider for an '06 ST3S ABS and I was wondering if they were the same for the '07. The manual describes them as the same thing, counting the total clicks even gets more confusing because the manual doesn't jive with actual. Also, which is the compression and which is the rebound? In the '05 manual the shock settings were backwards too. Ducati needs to hire better translators.

Gord

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I have the suspension settings from Sport Rider for an '06 ST3S ABS and I was wondering if they were the same for the '07. The manual describes them as the same thing, counting the total clicks even gets more confusing because the manual doesn't jive with actual. Also, which is the compression and which is the rebound? In the '05 manual the shock settings were backwards too. Ducati needs to hire better translators.

Gord
Start with the stock settings and make changes to suit what pleases YOU. I find the settings used by Sport Rider to be totally whack!!

They must be from Mars.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
I was able to correct my owners manual (I think) by comparing it with my service manual.

Forks: top is rebound adjuster, bottom is compression adjuster.
Standard factory setting for spring preload: 18mm.

The standard clicker settings for the forks, and all of the shock info seem to be right.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I guess I don't understand or missed something. The owners manual I downloaded for my ST3S, just so I'd have it on the computer, clearly states the correct location for the forks. Compression bottom and rebound top. I've never checked the paper version that came with the bike.

An easy way for me to remember which is which is it's opposite of the shock.

Just for the record my setting are (weight 175 without riding gear):
Fork: compression 11 clicks out, rebound 9 clicks out, preload 4'th line (2mm softer than stock)

Shock: compression 13 clicks out, rebound 12 clicks out, preload at minimum for 1 up riding.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
In the '05 manual the shock settings were backwards too. Ducati needs to hire better translators.

Gord
i think i know what you mean. it is confusing, as my manual states to turn the rebound adjuster (on the bottom of the shock) "clockwise" to increase damping. this would be true if the bike was upside down:). if you turn the adjuster as if you were screwing it in toward the spring, you are increasing the damping, and this would appear counter-clockwise as you view the adjuster. it's worded the same way in my S4R manual as well.

i also agree with Duckman that the Sport Rider settings are "whacked", and did not work very well for me. i am 200 pounds, and use the stock settings with a bit more preload, and a click more comp damping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts