Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Ducati world, trying to learn about my '07 SS800. I recently bought it with 9,000 miles on it. I've noticed that It does not like to run cold which I get. I typically let her warm up for about 5 minutes until I start to get a temperature readout and I'm good to go. I learned this because I got on it too soon and it stalled, I couldn't get it to restart simply by pressing the starting button. I had to turn the key off, then back on and it would begin to turn over. I let it warm up and was able to get going again with no problems. I read a previous post with simular issues and the final result was a faulty cylinder head temperature sensor. Any help would be great.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
If it is the sensor, based on your post in the other thread about this, the sensor for the ECU to monitor horizontal head temperature and hence fuelling is part number 552.1.045.2A

If you need to buy one, search for Ducati 55210452A

If this goes bad, then the resistance is usually infinite.
Not sure if it goes into a safety mode when the resistance is infinite, but either way it will enrich the fuelling which wets the plugs and makes it hard to start.

It is simple to test in the bike if you have a multimeter.
Unplug the connector to it, then measure the resistance between the pin/connector on the sensor and battery negative.

From the attachment, if it is working correctly the resistance should be as shown for the ambient temperature.

It could also be corrosion in the connector or a crap interface between the sensor body and the head, which is part of the circuit and would artificially increase resistance, hence adding more fuel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
More info please...

1. stock exhaust or aftermarket/modified stock.

2. open or closed airbox?

3. miles on the bike?

4. last service the bike had where fuel injection was adjusted?
throttle bodies synced
TPS checked/set
Air bypass screws adjusted
ECU trimmed
5. any ecu mods?
power comander
ducati performance ecu
comodore 64 or a set of carbs?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if you had to turn the key off and on again to get it to crank then it has some odd electrical issue.

it should idle fine cold with the fast idle on, and be perfectly usable.

i have seen those engine temp sensors with heaps of corrosion on the terminals and up into the loom wiring so bad you need to cut the connector off the loom and fit a new one. but that makes them run rich.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I've been on it a little more I've come to find out that it will not start in gear, I have to put it in neutral every time to get it to start. I'm going to pull the sensor and see if it's hopefully a bad connection. If not I will replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts