Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

Well, I'm loving my newly acquired S2R 1000 with the only caveat being the front end dive when braking. I have cranked the spring down as far as I can but it's still too soft. Maybe I'm too heavy for the stock set up at 195 lbs, but really, it's VERY soft.

Does anyone have a solution that won't break the bank? ie, recommended spring replacements, oil weight, complete internal kit, race-tech?? The Ohlins would be the ultimate fix from what I have read, but then 'm looking at about $2500.

Thanks,
C.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I'm no expert on this but I find the springs marginal for my 175 lbs. You might like to try some slightly stiffer. Have you tried increasing the compression damping a few clicks? I find this helps a lot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert on this but I find the springs marginal for my 175 lbs. You might like to try some slightly stiffer. Have you tried increasing the compression damping a few clicks? I find this helps a lot.
I didn't think these showas had compression damping -- usually found on the bottom of the legs. Or do you mean the rebound adjusters found at the top?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Be aware that adding preload is not going to affect brake dive. It doesn't make the springs any stiffer, although it will increase the amount of suspension travel you have before you bottom the forks out. But it doesn't sound like your compaint is about bottoming per se. So, there is no reason to expect adding preload to help.

I agree with the suggestion of trying some more compression damping. That will at least reduce the *rate* at which the forks dive.

If that doesn't work then yes, a higher spring rate is the way to go. You are only looking at about $150 in parts to do that.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I didn't think these showas had compression damping -- usually found on the bottom of the legs. Or do you mean the rebound adjusters found at the top?
The 1000 has compression and rebound on the forks. Start with the stock setting in the owners manaul and try screwing it in (stiffer) 2 or 3 clicks.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
According to the Ducati website, the forks on an '07 S2R1000 are "fully adjustable", which should mean compression damping can be adjusted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1000 has compression and rebound on the forks. Start with the stock setting in the owners manaul and try screwing it in (stiffer) 2 or 3 clicks.
I'm not sure why I didn't check for that adjustment -- thaks for pointing that our DucMan. I just downloaded the manual, and sure enough, it's there. I'll be trying that out before I drop any coin.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be aware that adding preload is not going to affect brake dive. It doesn't make the springs any stiffer, although it will increase the amount of suspension travel you have before you bottom the forks out. But it doesn't sound like your compaint is about bottoming per se. So, there is no reason to expect adding preload to help.

I agree with the suggestion of trying some more compression damping. That will at least reduce the *rate* at which the forks dive.

If that doesn't work then yes, a higher spring rate is the way to go. You are only looking at about $150 in parts to do that.
Thanks YellowDuck. Right now I have the preload screwed all the way in. Now that I've been made aware of the compression damping, I will back the preload out some and adjust from there.

Can you recommend springs?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Can you recommend springs?
Probably someone else can recommend better than I can. It's hard to do from first principles without knowing how much preload is in them on assembly, etc., or even knowing the rates of the OEM springs. It's not rocket science though. The OEM setup is probably for about a rider+bike combination in the 575-lb range, whereas you are probably more like the 615-lb range, so take the OEM rate and multiply by 615/575 = 108% and you will be close. You can make it a lot more complicated than that if you want (e.g., to take into account differences in total weight distribution front to rear as rider weight increases), but you will get close to the same answer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably someone else can recommend better than I can. It's hard to do from first principles without knowing how much preload is in them on assembly, etc., or even knowing the rates of the OEM springs. It's not rocket science though. The OEM setup is probably for about a rider+bike combination in the 575-lb range, whereas you are probably more like the 615-lb range, so take the OEM rate and multiply by 615/575 = 108% and you will be close. You can make it a lot more complicated than that if you want (e.g., to take into account differences in total weight distribution front to rear as rider weight increases), but you will get close to the same answer.
Thanks for the tips Yellow. I'll see what I can dig up on the net. There's a pair of Ohlins on the bay right now for $2300 -- too steep for me by the time they're imported. Tempting though...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the tips Yellow. I'll see what I can dig up on the net. There's a pair of Ohlins on the bay right now for $2300 -- too steep for me by the time they're imported. Tempting though...
while you are digging... unless you have custom springs wound, most shock or fork springs rates are sold in increments. The aftermarket suspension company will typically tell you the increments he has and sells. You may have to discover what is in your current set-up, but hopefully these guys can tell you, then simply go the next increment up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
while you are digging... unless you have custom springs wound, most shock or fork springs rates are sold in increments. The aftermarket suspension company will typically tell you the increments he has and sells. You may have to discover what is in your current set-up, but hopefully these guys can tell you, then simply go the next increment up.
thanks 12guage. I made some adjustments for today's ride, but still need to tweak. I'll update as improvements come along. Gotta get some pics up soon, too :yeah:

·
Registered
998 Posts
MAybe a 90 or 95 spring rate, but one of these suspension guys can tell you better. Race Techs site has a chart that will show you the stock rate and let you get an idea of the right one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MAybe a 90 or 95 spring rate, but one of these suspension guys can tell you better. Race Techs site has a chart that will show you the stock rate and let you get an idea of the right one.
Thanks danrduc, I'll dig around Race Tech's site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts