Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Ducati Forum,

I am new rider and I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge -- forgive me for what I am about to ask you.

I am having trouble with an '07 Multistrada I just bought off some twat on Ebay. I bought off of excitement, and low n'behold, I am already having trouble with it.

It quit working while I was riding it yesterday around a parking lot. When I went to restart it, it would turn over but it wouldn't catch. So I figured it was the spark plugs. I pulled the plugs -- the 3 that I could find -- and they were foul, with black soot. I changed those three.

**But my question is: Are there more than 3 spark plugs on this model?**

The manual says there are two per cylinder. So that means there are 5 total, right?

** Can someone tell me where the other ones are, please?**
Do I need to take the left fairing off?

If there aren't anymore spark plugs, I think it might be the battery what is causing me problems now because I tried to turn it over so many times.

**Also, I pulled some hard plastic type film out of the gas tank: Does anyone know what this is?**

Thank for your help.

Best,
Camus

/**EDIT: I just looked at the manual again, it says two battery per cylinder; this makes even less sense to me.**/

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Man, where to start. First of all, your bike has 4 spark plugs and one battery. The stuff you pulled out of the tank is probably the remains of a tank coating.

There are a number of reasons why your bike might not start, but I would probably recommend you take it to a Duc dealership and let them sort it out for you.

Reactions: Camus

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, where to start. First of all, your bike has 4 spark plugs and one battery. The stuff you pulled out of the tank is probably the remains of a tank coating.

There are a number of reasons why your bike might not start, but I would probably recommend you take it to a Duc dealership and let them sort it out for you.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Can you tell me where the fourth spark plug is? So far I found two on the right and one one the left.

And, what do you do when your tank filter deteriorates to the point where it is peeling off?

Unfortunately, taking my Bike to a Ducati dealer is not an option at the moment. I'd like to troubleshoot this starting issue and see if it is something I can fix myself, even though I don't know what I am doing.

Is it difficult to remove the battery?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I appreciate that you may not have a dealer nearby, but your lack of experience may cause you more harm than necessary. Any good mechanic should be able to troubleshoot the basics, and perhaps you will get lucky and will find someone who can share some knowledge with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I appreciate that you may not have a dealer nearby, but your lack of experience may cause you more harm than necessary. Any good mechanic should be able to troubleshoot the basics, and perhaps you will get lucky and will find someone who can share some knowledge with you.
Absolutely, I understand where you are coming from.

But before I have my bike shipped to a shop, I would like to first change all the spark plugs and probably the battery. The thing is I can't find the fourth spark plug, and I don't know how to get to the battery.

**Can anyone tell me where the fourth spark plug I seek is located on my bike?**

The three I have already changed were somewhat easy to locate, but the last one I can't find. I have found one on the left and two on the right. The manual does not say where the plugs are located on the bike.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Try a search engine . google it

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
If the bike quit suddenly, changing the plugs and battery probably won't solve your problem. You need to see if you have fuel and spark. Charge up the battery, and then see if you have fire to the plugs. If not check the ignition relay, which is beside the battery. In a pinch you can swap it with the headlight relay to test. Check all of the electrical connections you can find. Check the dash to see if it has thrown a fault code.

Again, there are many possible reasons the bike is not starting, but I suspect the solution may be beyond your self described limited diagnostic skills.

Good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The air-cooled multis had issues with the gas tank swelling due to gas with ethanol. I'm guessing that the previous owner tried to use a plastic coating treatment to protect the tank and didn't prep it properly, so the plastic coating sloughed off. It may be that a chunk of the plastic is plugging the fuel pump intake.

In any case, I have to echo what the others have said- get to a dealer (or better yet, a good independent Ducati mechanic) and get it sorted out. The air-cooled 1100 is a great and very reliable bike when properly cared for. Since they will have to pull the tank to check it out, it will be a good time to properly prep and coat the tank- it needs to be thoroughly "roughed up" on the inside, preferably by bead blasting. You can also but an ethanol-proof tank from California Cycleworks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hello Ducati Forum,

I am new rider and I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge ...
:eek:

Well, you're apparently not afraid of the deep end of the pool because that's where you are now. "New rider", "no mechanical knowledge", and "Ducati" {especially an older one} is a frightening combination of terms.

But you're in the water now so my best advice is to read, read, and read about the bike. And then start acquiring the tools you'll need for at least basic maintenance and/or road side emergencies.

Ducati's - even new ones - need a good amount of TLC. It's just how it is. They aren't Honda's.

Good luck and have patience with it. There's more than one hurdle ahead. I guarantee that, but these things are gems when they are running right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts