Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm new to Ducati, but I'm not new to motorcycles in general. I recently picked up a 2007 Monster S4R Testastretta with 42k miles on the clock. The previous owner added the following performance mods: (1) open airbox; (2) full ZARD exhaust; and (3) Ducati Performance ECU.

The issue is that the bike has horrible part-throttle hesitation and bucking under 4k rpms, and occasionally, the bike will shut off when I close throttle under 4k rpms in the low gears (e.g. 1st or 2nd gear). The latter issue is particularly dangerous for me, since I use the bike to commute to work and I'm often under 4k rpms in second gear while I'm lane splitting (legal in CA). The bike has already shut off on me a hand full of times while lane splitting on the freeway. Thankfully, it's always happened at an extremely low speed when traffic is at a standstill, for the most part. Above 4k rpms, the bike is nice and smooth.

This past weekend, I downloaded JPDIAG and got everything hooked up to the bike. I connected to the ECU, ran a check, and noticed several issues: My TPS setting was stabilized at ~1.2; the ECU was showing P0351 (Ignition coil A primary and secondary circuit malfunction); the ECU was showing P0352 (Ignition coil B primary and secondary circuit malfunction); and the ECU was showing P0335 (crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction). I cleared the codes, reset the TPS (~2.6), and took the bike for a ride.

The bike ran smooth for a few minutes before the part-throttle hesitation and bucking under 4k rpms returned. I hooked it back up to JPDIAG and checked for codes - the P0351 and P0352 ignition coil codes had returned. Also, the TPS setting seemed to have shifted from ~2.6 to ~1.8.

Now for my question. JPDIAG is telling me I have issues with both ignition coils, possibly the crank position sensor, and possibly the TPS sensor - is it likely that this is an ECU issue instead? If so, is there any quick way that I can test the ECU before I start throwing parts at the bike?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
the coil faults seem to just be attention seeking most of the time. the rotation sensor you can do a resistance check on, but again it's often logged for no reason. tps you can see if the output is smooth across the range, but they have been known to get fuel in from behind and get weird.

are you sure it's an open loop ecu? try changing the idle trimmer setting and see if it sticks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips, I'll run a resistance check on the TPS and CPS when I get a chance. Is there someway I can identify if the ECU is indeed a DP ECU? I've done a bin. dump using Guzzidiag, in case anybody can take a look.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
check the tps output via the diagnostic tool.

if you attach the bin file to your post - you need to add .pdf or the like to the end of the name to make it work - i can have a look at it. you look file the file name, lambda on/off, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Belter! So assuming the ECU is good, I should be fine with the open airbox and full exhaust, with no O2 sensor in open loop right?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just FYI, the Ducati doesn't really like sub-4K RPM's... it can do it (properly tuned) but it's not something I would do a lot of. No, I got it... you are just easing up through traffic... it's not like you are at full throttle or anything, just saying.

I had problems with my 796... it was geared so high I either lugged it in traffic in 2nd, or revved the crap out of it in 1st, but I have since made a gearing change and it has helped drive-ability about 1000% Just something to consider.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just FYI, the Ducati doesn't really like sub-4K RPM's... it can do it (properly tuned) but it's not something I would do a lot of. No, I got it... you are just easing up through traffic... it's not like you are at full throttle or anything, just saying.

I had problems with my 796... it was geared so high I either lugged it in traffic in 2nd, or revved the crap out of it in 1st, but I have since made a gearing change and it has helped drive-ability about 1000% Just something to consider.
Have had zero issues with this on my 999 which uses the same engine IIRC. Sure, it's not the best at low RPMs taking off but had none of the issues OP talks about here.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I had almost the same S4RS configuration (open airbox, full arrow and PC3) with the exact same problem.

It was sitting for 6month with the PO, I thought it was maybe some bad fuel.

However, after just a couple hundreds miles the original voltage regulator blew.

I replaced the VR and installed a new battery (it was ~4 years old) and the problem was gone!

Check your battery voltage and charging system. Quick, easy and cheap test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
That bike should purr like a kitten below 4000rpm, even cold. I have an ‘07 S4RS with modified air box and Termi shorty. No issues below 4000 rpm, you shouldn’t either.
With 42 k on the clock you should change the fuel filter if you don’t know when it was done. Also run some SeaFoam through it, and clean the injector throats all the way through. Dirty throats will cause poor running below 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That bike should purr like a kitten below 4000rpm, even cold. I have an ‘07 S4RS with modified air box and Termi shorty. No issues below 4000 rpm, you shouldn’t either.
With 42 k on the clock you should change the fuel filter if you don’t know when it was done. Also run some SeaFoam through it, and clean the injector throats all the way through. Dirty throats will cause poor running below 4000 rpm.
Thanks, for the tips. I should have clarified, the engine has ~10k miles on it, as it was replaced by a Ducati dealer after the PO went down in a low side and destroyed the engine. I have all of the dealer paperwork confirming mileage.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Injection was probably not replaced with the engine. If it was a new engine from Ducati I doubt it came with injection on it. Why ask how to cure the problem if you aren’t willing to do the work ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Injection was probably not replaced with the engine. If it was a new engine from Ducati I doubt it came with injection on it. Why ask how to cure the problem if you aren’t willing to do the work ?
Care to elaborate where I said I'm not willing to heed your advice or do the work? Presumptuous much?

I'm clarifying the previously misleading engine mileage as stated in my original post, in case that in any way alters advice from you or anyone else going forward.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
No need. Sorry if I offended you. I wasn’t trying to be argumentative, just helpful. I’m done here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you don't have a mosfet regulator/rectifier do this asap. When mine blew it fried my gauges and HID headlight. If yours is stock it will blow, only a matter of time. This may fix your problem too.

My rpm/timing sensor also had issues when I first bought my S4RT used. Starting issues cold or hot, RPM issues intermittently. Resistance test didn't show anything but hooking up to an oscilloscope finally did. Once replaced those issues went away.

I also had my fuel injectors cleaned at the same time which helped the bike smooth out all over.
Other things to check would be fuel filter like duc96cr said. It's in the tank so good chance it might not have been changed when the engine was swapped. If the engine was changed and they didn't document the fuel filter being changed it's probably time to do it.

If you need a workshop manual, parts manual or owners manual in PDF DM me; I can email you a link to them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't have a mosfet regulator/rectifier do this asap. When mine blew it fried my gauges and HID headlight. If yours is stock it will blow, only a matter of time. This may fix your problem too.
I'm about to get an S4RS - how can I tell if the stock regulator has been replaced and where would I get the replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE - The bike runs excellent, thank you all for the tips!

I replaced the fuel filter with a NAPA 3032 unit; I added an additional ground wire to the ECU body; I replaced the OEM regulator with a new Shindengen FH020AA regulator, along with the triumph conversion harness; I refreshed the DP air filter with a K&N recharge kit; and I added seafoam to the gas tank.

Absolutely no more low-rpm, part throttle hesitation. Bike runs like a gem.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
i would run the output from the voltage reg direct to the battery, i like to do it through an inline fuse. avoid the wiring loom like the plague.

be careful with the filter cleaner kits, i have seen dyno power hurt with overly cleaned filters. k&n say to not clean them until they're black, which i expect is preferable because the dirtier it gets, the more holes get blocked up and the better it filters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i would run the output from the voltage reg direct to the battery, i like to do it through an inline fuse. avoid the wiring loom like the plague.

be careful with the filter cleaner kits, i have seen dyno power hurt with overly cleaned filters. k&n say to not clean them until they're black, which i expect is preferable because the dirtier it gets, the more holes get blocked up and the better it filters.
Thanks, Belter. I've heard Ducati wiring is suspect so this makes sense. Do you happen to know which wire(s) from the voltage reg are output? This is the Triumph harness I'm running: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-rectifier-cable-MOSFET-upgrade-for-Triumph-Street-Triple-675-R-08-12/283376098130?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And my air filter was BLACK. It took two rounds before clear water would run from the clean/rinse. I did notice after cleaning the filter that the bike feels slightly down on power, albeit infinitely smoother. Is this something that gets better as the filter oil dries, or is this just a problem with K&N filters in general? I followed K&N's cleaning instructions to the T.

Recommend any other air filters?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts