Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electrical issue that i'm having trouble figuring out. On my 2007 gt1000 I have no running lights. That includes the headlight, high and low, the tail light, the license plate light, and the instrument panel back light. All the intermittent-type lights work, like the warning lights on the instrument panel, turn signals, brake light and high beam flasher. I suspected the "light relay" but after switching it with the injector relay (same specs and obviously works, as the bike still runs with the injector relay plugged in) there was no change. Additionally, all the fuses are fine, none blown. I am getting no voltage to the headlight, rear light, or the licence light, though it seemed like they failed one by one over the course of a day, and not all at once. The grounds are clean and tight. Anybody have a suggestion for the next step? Thank you!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hmmm, I'm no electrician, but I'd guess as a break in the harness at the steering, or corrosion somewhere like the fuse box or a junction box.
That's my guess too. A few years ago one of the horns quit on my GT, then the other, and finally the ignition would sometimes die. All turned out to be breaks inside the harness under the tank.

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
With the exception of the headlight, all the other lights/lamps are powered from the yellow wire at the ignition barrel.
Note - where I mention orange, it. may be a different colour on your model. I do not have a wiring diagram for your bike.
The yellow wire is connected to the orange wire at the ignition barrel when the key is turned.
The orange also provides power to the headlight switch.
Therefore I would presume you have a problem associated with the orange wire.

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
I found a Sports Classic wiring diagram.
There appears to be a lighting switch on the RH bar - is that switched on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the exception of the headlight, all the other lights/lamps are powered from the yellow wire at the ignition barrel.
Note - where I mention orange, it. may be a different colour on your model. I do not have a wiring diagram for your bike.
The yellow wire is connected to the orange wire at the ignition barrel when the key is turned.
The orange also provides power to the headlight switch.
Therefore I would presume you have a problem associated with the orange wire.
Thank you everyone for your responses. The running lights wires are yellow on this model. After studying the wire diagram I realized I got the ignition and lights relays mixed up. But the wires coming from the relay are not yellow, so probably isn't related to my problem. I attached the diagram in case anyone wants to look.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a Sports Classic wiring diagram.
There appears to be a lighting switch on the RH bar - is that switched on?
I wish it were that easy. I don't think mine has such a switch. the right hand controls are starter and kill switch and nothing else.

·
Excel Addict
5,134 Posts
Had a quick look.
I would start from #4 the fuse box to check voltage on the orange in and out.
Personally I do not trust visual inspection of a fuse. I use a multimeter on the resistance scale.
The orange from the fuse box feeds to #1 which looks to be a straight through connection to #3 the ignition switch via the yellow.
From a lighting point of view there is no relay.
So check at each junction point and the ignition switch to see where voltage "disappears"
Edit - starting from he fuse box and working from there.
I expect it will at #1 or #4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts