Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on all the negative posts regarding '06 ST drivability problems , is anyone NOT having this problem with their '06 STs' ??? :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
2006 St3 things

My intention here is simply to add my experience and info to the forum rather than exacerbate a problematic situation. The dealer I purchased my 2006 St3 from here in Perth WA has informed me they have sold several ST3's without problems. However, in 4 months of dealing with them I have NEVER seen a new ST3 in their shop other than mine and the demo they received at the same time (and I've been in their dealership around 2 days per week at least). Funny that my ST3 is an April build 2006 model! What I can say is that having ridden the demo model after mine, the demo does display less of an EFI problem than mine (yes both are 2006 models though I do not know if the demo is an April build batch or not). Mine is, from my perspective after 30years of riding, unridable in city traffic and/or slow speed cornering due to the surging between 0 - 6000rpm. It also has a big detrimental effect on the comfort on long distance touring because it feels through the handlebars like you are constantly going over road surface bumps (which are not there!) due to a cyclic acceleration/decceleration on a constant throttle.
My advice: wait and see what Ducati do to rectify this problem first before buying a 2006 ST3. It's a pitty really because everything else about the model is great!!! .....and ultimately.....caveat emptor.
Cheers,

deebee

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deebee said:
My intention here is simply to add my experience and info to the forum rather than exacerbate a problematic situation. The dealer I purchased my 2006 St3 from here in Perth WA has informed me they have sold several ST3's without problems. However, in 4 months of dealing with them I have NEVER seen a new ST3 in their shop other than mine and the demo they received at the same time (and I've been in their dealership around 2 days per week at least). Funny that my ST3 is an April build 2006 model! What I can say is that having ridden the demo model after mine, the demo does display less of an EFI problem than mine (yes both are 2006 models though I do not know if the demo is an April build batch or not). Mine is, from my perspective after 30years of riding, unridable in city traffic and/or slow speed cornering due to the surging between 0 - 6000rpm. It also has a big detrimental effect on the comfort on long distance touring because it feels through the handlebars like you are constantly going over road surface bumps (which are not there!) due to a cyclic acceleration/decceleration on a constant throttle.
My advice: wait and see what Ducati do to rectify this problem first before buying a 2006 ST3. It's a pitty really because everything else about the model is great!!! .....and ultimately.....caveat emptor.
Cheers,

deebee
Dave , Your EFI symtoms sound far worse than mine . :( My bike has a light surging below 3000 rpm ,but mostly its a hesitation/stall . Certantly I can ride the bike
My dealers does seem to be working hard to resolve the problem .
The post was intended to see who is'nt having a problem . :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re ST3 probs

Hi Scott,
No worries or dramas and I really appreciate your input here. We also have to consider how different (if at all) are USA ST3's vs Australian St3's with respect to EPA legislation and fitment. There may be no difference. What I suspect is there is an endemic problem with the ST3 2006 model in Australia and the USA due to an attempt to meet Euro 3 compliance. I should have more detail on Tuesday (2nd May here) from our importers and will keep all those interested posted.
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
576 Posts
sv1150rs said:
Based on all the negative posts regarding '06 ST drivability problems , is anyone NOT having this problem with their '06 STs' ??? :confused:
I have an '06 ST3s with 600 miles on it. I had an '05 so I do have a basis to compare. I have had NO problem with surging on accelleration or backfiring when rolling off the throttle. I've never had it hesitate when starting off.

I'm not sure if the EFI is set up different on models coming to the US or not, but I have no complaint. I'm very happy with the fit and finish, the suspension is first rate. All-in-all, I'd buy it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sv1150rs said:
Well, now I am glad I kept my 05 ST3 and DIDN'T buy an 06 model....

Doc

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 1000 miles on a 2006 ST3s. It is absolutely perfect. It is smoother above 3000 rpm, but the ST4s is as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts