Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Most of my cars run at about 180-190 degrees. With the thermostats open somewhere in that range. On a 90% humidity 85+ degree day the engine only reaches the mid 160s while moving and 190 or so at stops. The fan come son and the temps level out, but if I am riding around it seems like it sin't truly warmed up. Is this normal or is the thermostat stuck open? This bike sat for awhile before I bought it. 6k miles on the clock.

Thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like the thermostat is stuck open, but would like some conformation. 167 degrees at 85 degrees seems very low. The engine would probably still be running rich. Has anyone encountered this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My '06 ST3s runs mid 160's or a little higher in warm/hot Atlanta ambient IF I am generally moving. The hotter the ambient the quicker it will spike if stopped in traffic. Fan comes on at 210 F or thereabouts. Hottest I recall running was 190 F in very hot ambient when working hard running up and down the gears in N Georgia mountain twisties.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Not sure what farenheit is but 70-80c is normal for my ST and 998 at open road speeds, but they sharply rise when in town. Fans don't kick in until really late, so you may want to have a over ride switch to have the fans come on earlier.
I haven't needed to do it yet, but it is under consideration.

Craig

Reactions: Corse1

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Indicated normal temp for my '05 ST3 while moving in almost any ambient temp is 150 to 160. Stopped I turn the fan on once it heads past 190.

Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks for putting my mind at ease. It just doesn't make since. Most everything runs at about 180 because thats a really efficient temperature.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Indicated normal temp for my '05 ST3 while moving in almost any ambient temp is 150 to 160. Stopped I turn the fan on once it heads past 190.

Joe
My ST3 is the same

I've seen this with a few bikes. I think it keeps the rider more comfy.

David

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting topic as I just got my "barn find" ST4 up and running. Not quite spring here but at a steady 70 MPH on and 80F day, my ST2 would run 185F or so and quickly bump into low single digits 200's if I pop off the hwy. The ST4 seems to run about 15 degrees cooler. I installed a manual fan switch on the ST2 for in city summer use. I may not have to on the ST4 given it seems cooler across the board.

Well thanks for putting my mind at ease. It just doesn't make since. Most everything runs at about 180 because thats a really efficient temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
180 is most efficient if that's where the engine is designed to run most efficiently. That's not a hard number.

With tougher emissions rules, engines are designed to run hitter. It's a design choice.

My ST runs at roughly 170 on a cool day. Coming off a fast highway run, transitioning to a slow section of road, I've seen it at 230. Left legs is cooking, sure gets hot when this occurs.

Don't need no stink'in gauges - my left thigh not burning, all's good

Bob

Reactions: Zoomie

·
Registered
36 Posts
My ST runs at roughly 170 on a cool day. Coming off a fast highway run, transitioning to a slow section of road, I've seen it at 230. Left legs is cooking, sure gets hot when this occurs.

Bob
Bob:

No boilover or popoff steam when you hit 230F? I would think that was above the operating envelope for the ST2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
385 Posts
Here in Nova Scotia ( moderate maritime climate ) my bike runs between 68C and 72C out on the road , that equates to 154F and 162F .... all seems good .... I have had my cooling fan on twice in the last year , once after a cooling system fluid change I let it idle up to temp where fan clicked on ... other time I had a club member turn off my service light with his smart phone and he ran some checks and bingo he had fan running ... pretty cool ing eh !

Craig

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Bob:

No boilover or popoff steam when you hit 230F? I would think that was above the operating envelope for the ST2.

Thanks!
The fan comes on at about 220F. We are running a pressurized cooling system, so the boiling point is raised.
And your manual says that if/when the readout hits 238F, it starts to blink. I guess it Ducati's attempt to give a warning. So, if you read between the lines, anything up to 237F is OK.

Also note that any device sheds heat better when they're hotter. The ol' formula MCdeltaT comes to mind. It's the spread of temp, from high to low, that is one of the factors that allows heat to flow.

Holy poop, that last sentence rhymes!

I mention the last bit for all you gents that install switches. The hotter the radiator is, the faster it sheds heat.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One day last year after work I started her up and instead of the blinking low status she read 113. Man it was hot that day. My ST2 runs about 186 on the freeway and gets about 215 until the fan kicks on. That brings her down to 195 then she starts all over again.

·
Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
My '06 ST3 will run in the 170's with ambient temps in the upper 80's. Into the 180's if I'm working the engine hard.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
It's a bit disconcerting when it reached the high temp. This was after an 80-90 mph highway run in ambient temps in the low 90's.

Was I concerned, you betcha. Fan was on and there was a traffic light about 1/4 mile off the exit. I saw the highest temp while not moving at the red light. Fan was on and the temps lowered a little as I gained motion.

Engine did not miss a beat.

Left thigh was medium- well

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Switch?

One day last year after work I started her up and instead of the blinking low status she read 113. Man it was hot that day. My ST2 runs about 186 on the freeway and gets about 215 until the fan kicks on. That brings her down to 195 then she starts all over again.
Any temptation to install a manual switch to kick on the fan earlier or do you think 215F is within operating specs?

I feel like one of the great benefits of a closed loop system is the ability to keep your thighs from cooking during the Texas summer (May - September)...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Any temptation to install a manual switch to kick on the fan earlier or do you think 215F is within operating specs?

I feel like one of the great benefits of a closed loop system is the ability to keep your thighs from cooking during the Texas summer (May - September)...

Just a thought...
At first i did think about adding a bypass switch but as i got used to the fan operating pattern it didn't seem to need it. I got to be able to tell when the fan was doing its thing by the famous left leg getting a little warm. My commute home was from Irving to Garland and my route took me through downtown to the HOV then home and she never overheated once. That being said I did do a coolant exchange when i first got her. YMMV

·
Registered
494 Posts
I also live in a cool maritime climate. The bike usually runs in the 150 to 160 F. Range at 60 to 70 F. As would be expected, operating temperatures go up as the the ambient temperatures go up. I installed a fan switch because I got tired of wondering if it will,indeed, kick on. It's not that hard to install and eliminates uncertainty about an elderly Italian electrical component. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
As to M5Driven's question about a bypass switch, yes. I put the LT Snyder bypass kit in mine that includes a fan with bigger blades. Once my temp reads above 190 I switch on the fan. The fan kit is a pretty common add-on.

Joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts