Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a bit at the end of my thread here but I'll keep it brief.

I just got my s2r back from the shop after a bunch of maintenance, got the battery replaced, replaced handlebars that have been bent since I was a teenager, etc. Rode back from the shop 100 miles to my home (no issues, stopped and started the engine along the way to get gas/food), pulled up into the driveway and now the engine won't start.

Battery/spark plugs are brand new. Fuses are fine, relays seem to be working (at least the leads are clean). I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn it on, engine makes a "clunking" noise for a few seconds (like 7-10) when I press the starter which I assume is the electric motor attempting to get the engine to turn over and ignite. The most confounding thing is that it started/ran flawlessly on the way home.

I reflashed the ecu years ago to stop the immo from ruining my life once a year, so unless the reflash can be revised by pulling out the battery that can't be a problem (although after the reflash the check engine lights and amber indicator are permanently on when the bike is on).

I am actually losing my mind here, anyone smarter than me have any ideas on what to do? Nearest shop is 40 miles away so would prefer not to go that route if it's remotely possible to avoid it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it's making a clunking noise it sounds like the starter clutch is rooted.
I should've been more precise, to my ears it sounds like the normal action of the starter motor minus ignition, I wish I could upload a video/audio file with the sound but this appears impossible. It's a rhythmic "choking/sawing" sound that is a lot like any other engine trying to start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same type of scenario happened to me a few years ago but I was 100 miles from home when it happened. It ended up being my starter brushes. I ordered a set on eBay that fixed the problem. I had about 85k miles on my bike at the time.
At least you have the bike at home to be able to work on it easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts