Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just rode it a week ago. So my bike is cranking but, will not start. Cranks 2-3 times and usually drains battery and won't start after without jump. Battery Yuasa tested and confirmed 186CCA 12.7V.

I've read about checking wiring to starter.

Also tried warming the bike/battery. (Ignition on for a minute and cycling) - no go.

Only 3900 miles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone used this HiCap wiring on Ebay? Would this work or make better?

Ducati Multistrada Starting / Starter Upgrade Kit

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dunno if it's related, by a friend of mine has a 2004 Multi which also has starting issues. His bike is sometimes difficult or impossible to start. When it does start, the engine will occasionally die while we're riding and it will be difficult/impossible to start again. When this happens, his bike cranks fine but the engine will never "catch" and start running.

He believes that the fuel pump isn't getting power. When he turns the key on, he won't hear the fuel pump prime (or whatever it does) and if that doesn't happen the bike won't start. He's tried replacing the fuel pump and the electrical connectors that connect the pump to the wiring harness. Neither of these things have resulted in a permanent solution. Recently, we ran into a guy who had this exact problem and eventually traced it to a pinched wire under the seat that was grounding out the fuel pump. My buddy hasn't had a chance to investigate yet, but so far is seems like the most plausible explanation for his problems...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have not had any issues with it running. It actually runs great. Getting it started after cooled is the problem, Starts right up after initial ride.

Today I cleaned up battery connectors. Notice a web and dead spider in the solenoid cover. Cleaned and reconnected the terminals and the ground to engine.

Seemed to improve the amount of cranking time and power. I did notice the Negative lead was fairly warm prior to connecting the jump pack.

Went for a ride got it up to 190F. Looked over the bike to make sure nothing loose. All battery terminals were cool. Bike cooled to 130F and did test start. First shot no issues.

I am going to look at the connections to the starter next.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts
Has anyone used this HiCap wiring on Ebay? Would this work or make better?

Ducati Multistrada Starting / Starter Upgrade Kit
Lots of folks swear by these. Worth a try. Do you still have the original battery, and did you test it under load? My old '08 would crank more than 3 times without needing a jump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, Original battery has been load tested with good marks.

1st: Cleaned all connections and terminals.
2nd: Put OEM Battery back in. Cranked 4 times and started.
3rd: Rode for an hour. Next day started first attempt. Rode for an hour
4th: Sat for 2-Days
5th: Started first attempt.

Looking good. Have my fingers crossed for next 2-Day rest period.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Original battery has been load tested with good marks.

1st: Cleaned all connections and terminals.
2nd: Put OEM Battery back in. Cranked 4 times and started.
3rd: Rode for an hour. Next day started first attempt. Rode for an hour
4th: Sat for 2-Days
5th: Started first attempt.

Looking good. Have my fingers crossed for next 2-Day rest period.
Still going strong!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glad all is well!

I had problems starting my 1100s when temps dipped under 50 Degrees F. Battery would go dead after 5-6 attempts, then would have to jump it. Once the weather warms up I would not have a problem. My guess is the CCA rating on the battery is a little low for these bikes?\

btw I have a motoelectric hi cap kit (brand new). I'll give you a good deal, pm me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts