Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of a previous owner of a 2006 999R. I purchased this bike last week and all is well, but of course I have the red key situation. It has the full Termi system and the red key was never paired with the ecu so no immobilizer. So the one black key works just fine but I thought I would try and see if I can find the previous owner in hope maybe, just maybe they still have the red key...

Year: 2006
Model: 999R
VIN# 016378
Miles: 1850

It was last titled in New York and I purchased through wholesale so it has no contact of course or pervious owner listed.

I called Ducati NA, every dealer in New York and haven't even been able to find the original selling dealership yet :mad:

Let's hope I get lucky. Pictures attached. Thanks for trying to help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gorgeous bike! Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!! Hope you find the owner. No carfax/bikefax? Does that even work for bikes? I've never tried.

Good luck!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I would call your insurance company and ask them to run a report on it. They would do that anyway if it was stolen, so they have the ability. Maybe they will charge you, who knows, but worth a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why don't you do title search? Just go to DMV or RMV. The most difficult part is not searching. It is dealing with the previous owner. This bike must have a history otherwise it will not be wholesale.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ducati got me when it was bought and who the owner was. Talk about lucky. So I put in the name of the owner and ducati after it in a google search and low and behold he bought a Desmosedici after selling this and posted a picture on the web and there he is!!!

Problem is he sold it to a second owner that now I cannot find :mad:

I tried the vin thing in New York and it is clean with no liens etc. It originated the sale at Ducati of Santa Barbara. Called them and confirmed the owner but they again don't know the second party who bought the bike and all materials were given to them. Who knows how many times it changed hands after that to get all the way to New York. Not to mention it went through an auction house so the key is all but lost. Ducati of Santa Barbara told me to try Motor Bex??? and said they thought they could originate the red key for me with a black one. Anyone heard of them. I can't find it through a google search.

Still needing help. Thanks

Update,

Found it is motorvex and I emailed them just to see but pretty sure it can't be done. Nemesis is what I will probably do and just get another black key cut.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A lost Red key is not the issue everyone thinks it is. It can be bypassed and the immobizer can be deactivated. Additional black keys can be made as long as you have one functioning black key.

You can also replace the ECU, if it hasn't been already been replaced, and this is sometimes a plus anyway because it allows more programable options. Check your current ECU if it is not the DP stock one, then all your efforts to obtain the red key would be for not. I don't think it would even work anymore. Perhaps that is why it didn't come with the bike when you got it.

Actually, I see by your original post it was never paired with the ECU - So why do you need the red key?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. You've got the cool exhaust (the flattened pipe) and somebody sprung for the gold forged wheels. Congratulations on your new bike - you've got one of the best.

Larry

·
Registered
578 Posts
The way I understand it is the immobilizer can be bypassed without the red key by using the throttle twistgrip procedure, but only if you have the code card that came with the bike. If you dont have that you are screwed. Maybe i am erong about this? For those that dont know about the throttle twistgrip procedure I can post up the page of the manual where it explains the procedure. So can I make another black key using my existing black key only? How would I do this? I don't have the red key or the code card for my '06 999R Xerox. Sorry for the thread jack...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I see by your original post it was never paired with the ECU - So why do you need the red key?
If I had the red key I could in fact pair it with the ECU and have the immobilizer working. Correct?

I'll find out 100% when the bike arrives if the ecu was paired or not after the full exhaust was installed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The way I understand it is the immobilizer can be bypassed without the red key by using the throttle twistgrip procedure, but only if you have the code card that came with the bike. If you dont have that you are screwed. Maybe i am erong about this? For those that dont know about the throttle twistgrip procedure I can post up the page of the manual where it explains the procedure. So can I make another black key using my existing black key only? How would I do this? I don't have the red key or the code card for my '06 999R Xerox. Sorry for the thread jack...

That's okay you FREAK :) Nice xerox by the way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If I had the red key I could in fact pair it with the ECU and have the immobilizer working. Correct?

I'll find out 100% when the bike arrives if the ecu was paired or not after the full exhaust was installed.

That's the way I understand it, yes. If the immobilizer is not activated with the new ECU (red key required) then you won't have issues as long as you have the one black key to make/program additional keys.

Now it's an R and if your anal like me about your stuff, I understand trying to track it down and having the complete package. Good Luck!, I think you'll need it. Either way, you've got an awsome bike.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Wow, beautiful bike man, hope the key issue gets solved...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to follow up and update everyone on the red key issue...

RED KEY issue is solved and I got it taken care of and the cost was minimal :)

I had the following company do it and it worked perfect and now I have two black keys, red key and key code card number!!!

All keys work and start the bike and I even used the code the company was able to get the dash to give them and it works as well. To good to be true but it worked like a charm. The link is below if anyone else needs the help in getting a red key and key code card number!

So don't go out and buy all new keys, locks, ecu and dash. Call these guys and they can get you what you need.

http://sosdiagnostics.com/services/ducati/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts