Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I keep finding conflicting information on the web, and my dealer is unable to tell me the exact differences in these two bikes for 2006.
What is the difference between the S and non S 999 for 2006? The Olins steering damper, the front forks, and the rear shock assy. Anything else?
Also is the maint. very similar if not the same for both S and non S models?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Easiest way to find out is to go to the Ducati website and check the previous year models. You will find all the data there.

e. enzochi already gave the link. useless post then.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, just thought there was more than that.
+1

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
You can't get a monoposto on the base 999, only on the 999S. That would be a major factor for me. There are ways to convert, I did it on my 999S, I bought it as a BIP.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't get a monoposto on the base 999, only on the 999S. That would be a major factor for me. There are ways to convert, I did it on my 999S, I bought it as a BIP.
Already have the monoposto conversion. It wasnt really an issue for me, I wanted to be able to ride 2 up and still have a blast on mountain roads monoposto with the change of a few nuts and bolts. If I need to buy the olins front and rear susp. parts I can do that and swap it all over in a weekend. I just wanted to know other than the olins parts if there was any other diff.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok, so I'm slacking at work and can't do the research, but off the top of my head...

S has Ohlins suspension and damper. Radial brakes, monoposto, comes with street and slip on exhaust & ECU's, titanium connecting rods, not sure about the cams but it makes a little bit more power so there might be something going on there as well(?). The S is also a deep sump motor. Not so sure about the base model - don't think it is.

Maintenance schedule is the same for both bikes. Every 6k miles.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I asked is Im trying to do a full S clone with some of my own added personalities to it.
I got the bike at an amazing deal and yes it will be cheaper for me to do the conversion to bring it up to S class and yet still have the option for riding 2 up on occasion. My girl wont ride on the gsxr with me, to fast, and I love riding the 999 so much I wanted the option of 2 up or solo and yet keep that racier look.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The reason I asked is Im trying to do a full S clone with some of my own added personalities to it.
I got the bike at an amazing deal and yes it will be cheaper for me to do the conversion to bring it up to S class and yet still have the option for riding 2 up on occasion. My girl wont ride on the gsxr with me, to fast, and I love riding the 999 so much I wanted the option of 2 up or solo and yet keep that racier look.
Glad it was a good deal, as buying the upgraded suspension and brakes is NOT cheap, even if you buy used.

Used Tripleclamps = $400.00 +/-
Used Ohlins radial forks = $1400.00 ++/-
Used Ohlins shock = $400.00 ++/-
Used Ohlins dampener = $350.00
Used Brembo calipers = $500.00 per pair
Racing ECU = $700.00 +/- ??
Used Termi half system = $1100.00
Used forged alumimun wheels = $1000.00

Now while the Ti rods that the 2006 999S does have do not make horsepower, just helps it spin faster. Though the "S" motor does make more HP, and the "S" is lighter because of the alumimun subframe, and no passenger seat.

I read a road test years ago that stated for the price increase between the standard 2006 999 and the S model, and for the costs of buying those things the S was a true bargin......

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ok, so I'm slacking at work and can't do the research, but off the top of my head...

S has Ohlins suspension and damper. Radial brakes, monoposto, comes with street and slip on exhaust & ECU's, titanium connecting rods, not sure about the cams but it makes a little bit more power so there might be something going on there as well(?). The S is also a deep sump motor. Not so sure about the base model - don't think it is.

Maintenance schedule is the same for both bikes. Every 6k miles.
2005 and 2006 base models had the deep sump motor

·
Registered
797 Posts
As for riding "two-up" I bought a complete Bi-posta rear subframe/seat/bodywork/footpeg assembly from one of our members for my 2006 999S,which by the way weighs a ton compared to the S mono assembly....
Yet I can change from one to the other in 30 minutes to support my female friends tush....

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
As far as the motor goes the differences are that the S has Ti connecting rods, a different crank (balanced for the Ti rods) and the cams had different part numbers. No idea what was different about the cams but the advertised hp was exactly the same, 143 hp at the crank I believe.

·
Registered
701 Posts
999s has a ti Rod and lighter crankshaft that gives 3 more HP.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
999s has a ti Rod and lighter crankshaft that gives 3 more HP.
I think you're right. On the Ducati web site they do show them as 140/143. I was looking at the owners manual which says they are the same. The owners manuals do have some errors in them though.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went and looked at an 05 999r. It was in very very bad cond.
I considered buying it, but given how much money I KNEW I had to spend to fix what was obvious ( not knowing how much I didnt know about it that might need repair) I passed on it.
I ended up finding this 06 base, low miles and riden by a complete novice rider that dropped it on the gravel ( so he says) and he replaced the plastics with a crappy cheap chineese nock off kit, nothing against the chineese, just not a good quality kit.
Some small stress cracks in the abs plastics.
I have a full set of carbon skins on order and going to have then partially repainted DUC red but still want to show some of the carbon flare.
Tires were flat topped from black top riding and they were not the originals.
Yanked them and slapped on an extra set of Diablo super corsas I had layin around.
Put on a new chain and sproket set 520 kit.
Dealer installed new belts for me at 8k miles.
Adjusted my TB's and I changed the oil.
The rest is going to be my winter project.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts