Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a ride today. I was on the bike for about 20 minutes from a cold start. It's close to 100 degrees ambient here in lower Alabama. I watched the temp climb as I was expecting 240-250 degrees. The it started going up 255-260, 265 before I pulled over. It should be able to handle that temp but, well, something didn't. I have some kind of...looks like a drain or overflow that's leaking oil on the front side of the motor. It's sitting right next to a braded steel line on the bottom front of the motor. I assume the steel line is a oil cooler line but I haven't gotten the fairing off yet. On top of that I'm burning oil from the exhaust. I'm not sure if I hurt the motor or it there's some kind of seal that's failed. The motor sounds fine, but I'm still worried that I killed a ring.

Any idea's on where to start with that...overflow or whatever it is? Not looking forward to going into the motor.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
There should be 2 oil cooler lines going into the right front side of the motor. There is no oil overflow line. Make sure both oil lines are still connected. Is the oil level still showing full? These motors are pretty tough, but if you ran too low on oil, bad things will happen. 100 degrees F. air temp shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.kaemna.de/pic/gebrauchte/1000dsmulti.jpg

You can see the fittings for the oil lines on the right side near the bottom right next to the starter motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As it turns out it's leaking oil through the airbox drain. Yes that confused the hell out of me too. I retraced the hose about ten times to make sure I wasn't screwing it up. So I pop the cover off the airbox, and it's coated with oil. Somehow it's turned itself into a two stroke. I hate to be logical and think that the only way I could get that much blow by is if I have a bad headgasket. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm pretty sure I've blown a ring. I'll see about getting a compression test done tomorrow when I'm off work to be sure. Does anyone know if there's a simple motor rebuild parts kit? If i'm going in I might as well make sure all is well. I never saw a oil light but I'm not sure how much oil is left in it either. I needed valves and belts this winter anyway so I'm planning on that. Of couse lots of measuring to make sure everything is in spec too.

·
Registered
970 Posts
is it overfilled? check simple stuff first.

So I'm pretty sure I've blown a ring. I'll see about getting a compression test done tomorrow when I'm off work to be sure. Does anyone know if there's a simple motor rebuild parts kit? If i'm going in I might as well make sure all is well. I never saw a oil light but I'm not sure how much oil is left in it either. I needed valves and belts this winter anyway so I'm planning on that. Of couse lots of measuring to make sure everything is in spec too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the risk in topping the oil back off and seeing where the oil is entering the airbox from?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
What's the risk in topping the oil back off and seeing where the oil is entering the airbox from?
Most ducs have an oil breather running up into the Airbox, it usually just mists some overflow in there where it is then burnt up going in with air. it is always oily in there from this, but follow hose down to crank breather and see if it is an excessive amount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have oil in the breather. The problem is I didn't overfill it. Unfortunately this also supports that I have failed rings.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Before jumping to the broken ring conclusion, why don't you just run a quick compression test. Even if you have to go out and buy a cheapie guage, you would at least know immediately whether one cylinder was down on compression. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

I think we all have a tendency to think the worst in times such as these.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You guys are far smarter then me about all this but I wanted to say this about the oil temp. I noticed on my 06 800 that when I do a oild change the temps drops by at least 20 degree or more. So during this heatwave for anyone else I recommend a oil change. I rode a hour steady on the interstate in 104 degree weather and it only got up to 205. Just a little info during this shitty weather. But I'm a firm believer a fresh oil change keeps the temps down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts