Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I did my fair share of searching and really didn't get the information that I was really looking for. A place about an hour from me is selling a brand new, not one person has even sat on the bike yet, 2006 749r series, red in color. I understand these when they came out sold for about 22,000$, but this is not the case now. I spoke with the man and he said that he thinks they want to sell it for 18,000$, that price seems VERY steep to me because for a new 848 evo series you can get it for about 11,000$. I am wondering what you ducati experts think I can get the bike for. I would do all the service myself, as I have done this with my other Ducati (88 Paso 750). I appreciate any and all information that I can get.

Thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well here my 2 cents,I was looking to buy a 2005 749R that in my dealers basement like the one your looking at ,he wants $18,000 he say thats he cost,which i don't know if it is,but he won't move from that price and its been 3 years I've been trying to buy it,So what it comes down to is if your willing to spend that kind of cash.But i will say i think the 749R is a better bike than the 848 to me,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast response! I really don't have 18,000, nor do I want to lay that kind of cash out. I understand that the finer things in life are not cheap :)

I am heading down tomorrow to check out the inventory and see what else he has in stock. I love everything I have read about the 749r and it would be a HUGE upgrade from the Paso 750. The only draw back is that it doesn't have the passenger option with the seat and if I'm not mistaken I'd have to buy the rear peg mounts too. But I only trust new/newer bikes unless I know the owner personally because I have gotten screwed on deals in the past with used bikes, more so dirt bikes haha.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The 749R is a great bike with all the adjustment possibilities the factory bike had (adjustable off set, linear shock rocker). Unfortunately the 2005 and 2006 R's did not get the gorgeous carbon fairing. Finding a set of those requires serious $$$.

Make some pictures of her when you visit the store!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response Dennie! I'll definitely take some pictures and post it up. Another thought that just occurred to me, how much a difference will this be from the Paso 750? I understand power wise, but in terms of drive-ability, corning, and laying into the throttle. Not that this will deter me much, if any. Just wondering what kind of changes I'll be getting myself into haha.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmm seems expensive. I wouldn't pay more than 15000.
As soon as you ride it what will it be worth?

The fairings from the carbon 04 can be had
Fairly cheap. I have 3 sets. Just right time
Right place. Keep looking on eBay weekly for
999R panels or 749R panels and get them
Painted up if you don't get an exact matching set.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Damn Ian, so that's where those fairings are going from ebay ;) Just saw 999r carbon side fairings for 400 euros, but then they disappeared from the bay...

·
Registered
29 Posts
$18k for a 749R is ridiculous - even brand new unless its going to stay on display. I bought my '05 - 749R (#69) in 2007 with 1500 miles on it for $13.5k and it had about 3k in add-ons. Sure its a fun track bike, but it is a total dog on the straights and you can't make that up with its "great handling". Mine makes 121 hp at the rear with a power commander and the Leo Vince full 57mm exhaust - which is as rare as a white rhino and went for over 3k brand new. If you are looking for a step up from the Paso for a street bike, I would recommend a standard or S model 749/999. Should be able to get one from 6k-9k depending on condition. If you're willing to wait a bit, everyone will be offloading their "crappy" 1098/1198 with the new Panigale and prices on those should fall a bit too.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Thank you for the fast response! I really don't have 18,000, nor do I want to lay that kind of cash out. I understand that the finer things in life are not cheap :)

I am heading down tomorrow to check out the inventory and see what else he has in stock. I love everything I have read about the 749r and it would be a HUGE upgrade from the Paso 750. The only draw back is that it doesn't have the passenger option with the seat and if I'm not mistaken I'd have to buy the rear peg mounts too. But I only trust new/newer bikes unless I know the owner personally because I have gotten screwed on deals in the past with used bikes, more so dirt bikes haha.
Can't put rear foot pegs on that frame... You need a 749s in that case

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hello everyone! I did my fair share of searching and really didn't get the information that I was really looking for. A place about an hour from me is selling a brand new, not one person has even sat on the bike yet, 2006 749r series, red in color. I understand these when they came out sold for about 22,000$, but this is not the case now. I spoke with the man and he said that he thinks they want to sell it for 18,000$, that price seems VERY steep to me because for a new 848 evo series you can get it for about 11,000$. I am wondering what you ducati experts think I can get the bike for. I would do all the service myself, as I have done this with my other Ducati (88 Paso 750). I appreciate any and all information that I can get.

Thank you!
Is a Ducati dealer selling the bike? If so you get a warranty, that alone may be worth $2-3K. I would definitely go for the 749R, they will be in demand 15 years from now. The 848 not at all.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Well here my 2 cents,I was looking to buy a 2005 749R that in my dealers basement like the one your looking at ,he wants $18,000 he say thats he cost,which i don't know if it is,but he won't move from that price and its been 3 years I've been trying to buy it,So what it comes down to is if your willing to spend that kind of cash.But i will say i think the 749R is a better bike than the 848 to me,
Is the 2005 the one with CF fairings or is it the 04 model?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can't put rear foot pegs on that frame... You need a 749s in that case
In North America, the 749S was only offered as a monoposto with the aluminum subframe...so he'd be looking for a 749 Dark or base to accomodate a passenger.

To the OP- if you're not planning on spending a ton of time at the track, your money will be much better spent on a base 749 that is vastly less expensive to maintain than an R, can accomodate a passenger and actually has better low and midrange torque/power than the R. If your heart is set on a 749r, don't waste your money on a new bike that's going to pull *at least* a $5k premium over a well maintained used example...that would buy a lot of goodies or track time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
+1 for bahula. I am going to be getting a 2004 749r here sometime soon as long as I get my new house the way I want it in a timely manner, and there are a lot of well maintained examples from collectors, etc out there. In the past year I have seen about 5-6 around me and 2 out in cali that were very well taken care of and around 10k. I am assuming people are trading them in for the new panigale, but I do plan on getting one for the collection soon, as I think they are a piece of art, just beautiful.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Furthermore, per the Ducati unwritten code, it is forbidden to install a passenger seat or footpegs on any monoposto bike, especially an "R" model.
Agree, the wheels are to "weak" to support two people. Also the 749 and the 999 are not the bike to choose for riding with a passenger. Both rider and passenger can’t enjoy the ride. You as a rider will get a lot of force on your wrist and your passenger will get pain in the back and legs!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
over the years theres been a few 749r bikes post they had the motors self destruct .if i was looking for that particular model i'd be pretty interested if it is brand new with warranty.buying a used 'r' could be a crap shoot.
i'd also dissagree with r models costing a fortune to maintain,same basic valvetrain as the s model, same expendables as well.
and while i'd agree a superbikes a poor ride experiance for a passenger,the subframe is easy to change,and i'd trust forged alum wheels far more than the cast alum the lesser models come with

·
Registered
314 Posts
contravertial............but the value of the 2004 bike was the gucci bits on it for homologation

once Ducati pulled out of supersport....with what was an uncompetative bike, some of the gucci bits were removed thus making it not so good value for money...........

So the appeal of a peaky cammed motor where power comes from revs which does mean its higher maintainance and not the same as some of the others does dwindle and has allways been unsuitable for a pillion!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts