Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does anyone have a comparison of these two bikes? has anyone went from a gixxer to an 848? any imput of this would be greatly appreciated. comparo's in every aspect of performance from handling,comfort,power and speed.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone ridden both bikes on a track?

Thoughts to share?

I own a track-only 2007 GSXR 750. Would like to get an 848 EVO but from what I'm reading it would be a lateral performance move, at best. Plus I have spent too much on "stuff" for the GSXR.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just get a 1098 or 1198 if you don't want a lateral performance move...
Noted - my concern with the 1098 would be that it might be too much on the track? I have this fear of high-siding!

But I would love have the 1098S!

(I can't afford to get the 1198S with traction control...even used...come to think of it, nor can I afford a new 848 EVO.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone ridden both bikes on a track?

Thoughts to share?

I own a track-only 2007 GSXR 750. Would like to get an 848 EVO but from what I'm reading it would be a lateral performance move, at best. Plus I have spent too much on "stuff" for the GSXR.

Thanks.
I would keep the 750. It's probably one of the better track bikes you could own. Honestly I think you might be slightly dissapointed (performance wise) going from the GSXR 750 to the 848. Not that the 848 is a bad bike, I just think the 750 will still have a performance edge over it. Plus the GSXR is going to be a lot cheaper to maintain etc.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
my concern with the 1098 would be that it might be too much on the track? I have this fear of high-siding!

But I would love have the 1098S!

(I can't afford to get the 1198S with traction control...even used...come to think of it, nor can I afford a new 848 EVO.)
I've moved over a lot of people to Ducati's and a lot of Ducati people away from Ducati's for track riding. One thing most people don't talk about is the simple fact; cheap Ducati's like the 848 arn't really setup for the track out of the factory. So if you will be struggling to afford a used 848, you might not want to go that route at all, because you will most likely have to do basic suspension work from day one.

I have ridden both GSXR600 and 750's before, though on the street. I personally can't stand either bike because of how fat they are. Ducati's are much skinner and the 848/1098 has one of the widest superbike tanks Ducati has made and its nowhere near the width of the GSXR's. So thats actually a positive point about the Ducati's that you would probably like. The other thing is, due to the twin's lazy power band, you'll probably go quicker and have more confidence then the GSXR. The newer non-R Ducati's arn't lightening bolt's, they just have "electric" constant smooth flowing power. There is much less likelihood of high-siding on a Ducati then lets say an inline 4 because the power is so much easier to manage.

In the end, neither bike is setup very well for the track out of the factory. So to say one is better then the other is kinda silly, its all personal preference. I have only ridden a stock 848 on the track a hand-full of times and it was pretty good for a stock bike, I remember being impressed. But that was back before I knew how to ride and now I probably won't have any confidence in it at all. My suggestion is to think really hard about the decision and understand the cost associated with owning a Ducat, but also understand the benefits because there are many.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
does anyone have a comparison of these two bikes? has anyone went from a gixxer to an 848? any imput of this would be greatly appreciated. comparo's in every aspect of performance from handling,comfort,power and speed.
if you have your heart set on an 848, why not go the salvage route with just beat up plastics?

I just picked up a 05 999 for 3500.00 shipped with just cosmetic damage. Currently in the process of getting it ready for the track. I know my buddy can get 848s from the high about 4900.00 to 5500.00. Your going to replace the stock bodywork anyways right?

P.M. if youre interested and I'll give you his info. Or better yet just text holdingitbig to 90210

You can see my bike in the thread i started not too long ago about the build. Waiting on my rear shock to begin the next phase and deciding on paint for the track plastics. He's based out of D.C.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have had 3 GSXR 1000 over the past 9 years and the Ducati superbikes are by far a better out of the box handling track and canyon carving bike, hands down. The power takes awhile to get used to because it comes on differantly and gets put down differantly. Personally I prefer the bike V-twin now over the IL-4. The only exception to that is my MV Agusta which is a freaking rocket ship and the best out of the box hanlding bike I have riden... I know, I know its sacralidge on this forum. But I wouldn trade my MV or Ducati's for anything (except for maybe a desmosidici). I love them all but an IL4 is a totally differant animal than a big twin. I think the twins are more fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts